1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Mac based audio editing

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Jeremy Jive, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

Does anyone know of any good mac based audio editing software?

I need to normalize, track mark, resave and burn a mix. I can't get Toast to work and I'm not sure if Peak 3 trial version is going to work.

Any other suggestions?

jeremy -help wanted- jive

2. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

As far as I know you don't have much of a choice,
    peak is probably your best choice for WAV editing.

3. Isosceles_CAT

Isosceles_CAT TRIBE Promoter

Current waveeditors for OSX that I know of Peak & Spark.

For OS9 there is Soundedit. Soundedit is my favorite, because it allows you to zoom right in and manipulate individual samples in an audio file...However it hasnt been in development for years, and therefore there is no version for OS X.

Hope this helps,
    Isosceles_CAT

4. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

i like peak.

5. Isosceles_CAT

ya but you also like spykids.

6. Humanjava

Humanjava TRIBE Member

What about pro tools. Most mastering houses use that.
    To bad Wavelab is not available for mac.

7. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Although there is a software based version, protools is hardware reliant -it needs it's hardware counterpart to be able to do it's magic.

8. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

shut up dawson.

9. 007

007 TRIBE Member

Jeremy,

For those things that you listed, the freeware of Pro Tools available from the Digidesign site will work no problem.

Matt

10. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

^^^ I tried that and it's not that great..
    if he doesn't like peak, he wont like that as peak is much better.

11. Isosceles_CAT

12. DomG

DomG TRIBE Member

Use peak or recycle!

You could do what i did and get Virtual pc and run Sound forge which is dope!

13. musork

musork TRIBE Member

ummm audacity for os 9 and os x its more poerfull them protools free peak or any otther mac sound editor and best of all its FREE...
    :)

14. Isosceles_CAT

I just checked out Audacity. This is an excellent program. I can't beleive its free.
    Avail for unix/linix/mac/win. Thanks Neil! :)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

15. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

NICE! I'm using "Coaster" currently to record audio on my mac at work. It blows goataroos.

16. musork

musork TRIBE Member

yeah man any time at all... :)

17. nebula

nebula TRIBE Member

For OS 9 the BEST choice for what you want to do is Emagic Waveburner. Hands down. Supposedly they have an OS X version in development but I haven't seen it.

Waveburner isn't so great if you want to do really extensive editing, but you can get right down to the sample, it's all graphic, and you can drag track index markers right over the wave display.

It also supports CD Text sub-code editing, and all the other stuff like UPC codes etc. The Pro version also includes mastering plug-ins like limiting and multiband compression (and I really like the sound of Emagic's Multiband comp in Logic).

18. EltrikSoulCntlr

EltrikSoulCntlr TRIBE Member

Always taking the piss huh?!? ;) Bastard !