• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mac and Me

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I believe its anytime during the first year you own the product. Can someone confirm. Its been a long time since I've had to deal with AppleCare.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I just checked up on that and you're right, oddmyth.

If I want it nine months from now I'll scour ebay for a deal.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
yup, you have a year to buy apple care, so no rush.

I like xtorrent more than transmission for torrents...

www.adiumx.com for instant messaging.

I also love love love fuzzy clock.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
You can buy AppleCare anytime up to a year after your purchase date (by the way, there are often cheaper AppleCare subscriptions on eBay).

Installing more RAM in a Macbook does not void your warranty with Apple, because it's considered a user-servicable part (your manual should even show you how to do so!).

I had to replace my hard drive a couple months ago, and the guide (PDF) I used off Apple's site only mentions that you 'could' void your warranty if you don't correctly follow the instructions. Replacing the HD was really easy - you take the battery out, pull on a tab to take out the old one, and then push in the new one. On a Macbook Pro, however, it's a different story (and not considered user-servicable, as far as I know).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
protip: there's no such thing as a maximize button. The green button will expand the window to 'fit' the contents as much as that can make sense given its context, but usually won't fill the entire screen. Apparently apple feels that maximizing is a stupid paradigm that wastes screen real estate for little to no reason. At first i disagreed because i thought maximizing helped me 'focus' on a particular window, but after a few days i got used to it and it doesn't bug me anymore.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
At first I thought that was kinda retarded but now I'm comfortable with it, makes you more aware of the windows open and lets you use your desktop as such.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
I was using parallels when I first started using my iMac. After getting used to the mac os and getting the equivalent softwares in osX I haven't even touched Windows at all (except when I use my laptop which is rare).

montanamo

TRIBE Member
Bass-Invader said:
At first i disagreed because i thought maximizing helped me 'focus' on a particular window, but after a few days i got used to it and it doesn't bug me anymore.
I still hate that, though less frequently now!

And i still don't know how to set up iChat. I got mine working somehow with a trial .mac account, but when I tried to set my girlfriend up with one there was only mobile.me or whatever that crap is, and no trial accounts that I could see. Is the only way now to create an AIM profile? And is iChat the only way to activate the iSight and mic for audio/video chats?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I was signed into ichat/google chat and I didn't even know it until Booty Bits popped up out of nowhere.

Evidently you can use your gmail id.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
ooh! so, the macbook was an 80GBHD 2.0GHZ Core2 Duo 1GB of RAM with Tiger when we bought it.

i put in 2GB of ram and a hitachi 7200RPM 200GB drive with Leopard and now the thing screems like a banshee. very very very impressed.

the ball is gone...

did some research and I have to say that this hitachi drive really made a difference.($130).

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
i've never used parallels, but vmware fusion is pretty kickass for running windows apps (except games where my intel video card is not supported.)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
montanamo said:
I still hate that, though less frequently now!

And i still don't know how to set up iChat. I got mine working somehow with a trial .mac account, but when I tried to set my girlfriend up with one there was only mobile.me or whatever that crap is, and no trial accounts that I could see. Is the only way now to create an AIM profile? And is iChat the only way to activate the iSight and mic for audio/video chats?
You can use whatever AV chat program you like with the isight camera, it is just like any other webcam.

I use it with skype all the time.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
oddmyth said:
You can use whatever AV chat program you like with the isight camera, it is just like any other webcam.

I use it with skype all the time.

Doesn't work with the current build of MSN Messenger for OSX

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Indeed, but that doesn't fall under the realm of AV chat on OSX by definition

that would be so awesome if it did though. I loved that functionality under windows

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
oddmyth said:
gives you webcam but no audio support :(
there is an bit of a work around with Adium. i prefer it over amsn. I forget the pluggin name.

Now if I could get my iphone to be a camera well chatting on the mac that would rule.

seeker

TRIBE Member
Random Junk on the Street

Just picked up my 2nd Mac. This one is an old (circa 2001) 'Blueberry' iMac. 128 MB RAM, 20GB HD, CD-ROM, FireWire, USB, etc. It was face down on a lawn in the neighbourhood. After I plugged it in, it booted right up. :)

It's OS 9.2, though. I'm thinking this is a good candidate for a linux distro. I wonder if I can still find memory for this beast.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
I'm just waiting for a nice fat check to arrive and I will own my first Mac(book)

I have a main PC at home, but I wanted the MAC for laptop useage.

This thread will come in handy :)

I'm going to be a bit confused at first, I think.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I just got my first mac a week and a half ago (work got me a macbook pro as my workstation) and I'm enjoying it. Didn't take long at all to adjust.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit