• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

M-Audio Torq Connectiv

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
Was thinking of getting rid of Final Scratch due to the Rewire support of Torq. But the Rewire feature doesn't work with the timecoded vinyl which was a deal breaker for me...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sauce

TRIBE Member
Anyone know of somewhere i can buy this in the GTA?????? I tried Moog, L&M, and Dj Depot but no luck.

sauce

TRIBE Member
I tried Steve's and i've never heard of saved by technology???? but i called M Audio and it hasn't been released in Canada yet. THey said hopefully mid November to early Dec.

Thanks though.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
Hmm... that thing looks like a great alternative to Serato - assuming the stability is there. SOOO much cheaper. Does that thing include Torq for $300?

sauce

TRIBE Member
damn it

No where has it yet. I've even sold my cdj's in hopes of having it by this weekend LOL.

Play De said they've had 50 units ordered for way to long.

peace

sauce

nejo

TRIBE Member
I'd post a review but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's sitting in my apartment - I've been in Asia for work for the past few weeks. I'll try to post something up when I get back and have a chance to use it.

Cheers,

Nejo

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Just got this the other day - so far seems to function as advertised - even on my underpowered 1.33 Ghz G4...

I haven't messed wth the FX, rewire support, sampler, or even much of any feature other than the vinyl controller aspect. Pretty solid - haven't seen a crash yet although i think I had one freeze although that could have been due to too many apps open for my aging powerbook.

So far the only thing that bothers me is the fact that somehow, hte conectiv box is lowering the throughput of real records significantly - forces the user to crank to gains to acheive a similar volume if they werent' using conectiv. Still trying to decide if that's a deal-breaker for me or not at the moment.

One thing i really like is support for m4a files - i hate the sound of mp3s (even 320) and and while m4a's aren't that much smaller than wavs (about 2/3s the size of a wav), i rest easier knowing that my music has full frequancey sound in there.

I'll post more as I play with it more...

Just a note that I'm using it almost primarily for vinyl emulation in an attempt to lower the amount of records I usually bring to any given gig. I'm one of thoes DJs that doesn't feel comfortable unless I have at least 2 crates of records (more if you include my 45s) regardless of set length. I'm also reserving most of my harddrive space for acappellas, old pressings of rock and CDs of very obscure aritists or artists I can't find on vinyl.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
I've used this for the last couple of weeks including a couple of gigs I've played and so far I'm seriously considering selling it and picking up Serato. The only thing holding me back is that Serato has yet to implement any codecs for lossless formats (i use ALAC).

I've found a decent workaraound to the issue with the volume which involved me having to spend an extra $80 on cables and splitters. Basically the issue is that the hardware phono pre-amp and/or RIAA Curve is either woefully underpowered or just plain faulty so that it doesn't boost your phono levels enough. And unlike Serato, the box does not have a "through" option so users are forced to route their TTs through the box (which also bypasses your mixer pre-amp) resulting in much quieter levels.

The workaround involves splitting the signal directly from the TT to the box and your mixer so you can essentially emulate the "through" option in SSL. The one advantage is that, unlike SSL if I don't have a power adaptor for my box and my computer crashes hard requiring a re-boot, I can still play vinyl. The minus is that because you're bypassing the box, you cannot use the built-in effects on your vinyl like you can if you were to utilize the internal line-switchers. This last one isn't a big deal as I already have my own external FX unit.

Other annoyances include the lack of screen real estate as the program forces you to keep the internal mixer on-screen whether you use it or not, lack of integration with the programs tagging system and your id3 tags (requiring users to do stuff like BPM and/or analyze files twice if you like to use ID3 tagging for organization like I do). One also can't edit, change, or move files from within the program either so if you want to move some files around, you're forced to leave the program and do it via the Finder.

Latency is ok, not great but I chalk it up to my underpowered laptop. Since SSL has a much lower minimum system requirements, I can see me being able use it with a much lower buffer size.

That being said, now that I have a decent workaround for the volume issue (that was the biggest dealbreaker for me), I'm willing to give the program and driver one more update before I switch... Of course it's also dependent on when SSL starts to support lossless codecs too...

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i have heard that it is sketchy but haven't tried it yet.

i highly recommend ms pinky, which can be used with any soundcard and the torq records.

it's $100 for four records and the software. badd asss www.mspinky.com

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
i've encountered no crashes or freezes in performances although I have experienced lock-ups when I try to run a bunch of different apps while scanning a large chunk of files. I have the occasional audio dropout (just a quick click - similar to record skip) and there's a bit of a delay before the system catches up the the vinyl (like 2 seconds before it syncs) but overall it's decent. Defenitely some kinks and some questionable design issues but I'm willing to hang onto it until SSL upgrades their codecs...

Deus

TRIBE Member
ImperialThrilla said:
http://www.savedbytechnology.com

Great site/store because they are downtown and have their pricelist on line in Canadian $.

IT

Does anyone else find that their online prices are way overpriced? Are the prices the same when you go to the store? The online list seems to have the initial prices when the gear first comes out. They still list high prices for stuff that is years old.