• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Lying about returning to school in the fall to get a job?

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Well, a few people have told me to do this – but wondering if this is a good idea or not. I think part of the reason why I am having a hard time finding the type of job I want, is because I am returning to school in the fall, and the jobs I am applying for seem like they want perm/full time employees and not people returning to school in the fall. Ie: programming/developers/etc.

And, on the last two interviews I have been asked if I am returning to school in the fall, and I’ll be honest and say yes, and then I sort of get a ‘mmmhmmm…..’ look from them, interview gets wrapped up shortly after – and I’m without a job.

So, a few people have suggested to me that I simply lie about returning to school in the fall. This strikes me as a bad idea, and potentially burning bridges – lie to get a job, then two weeks before class starts quitting on them, just doesn’t sit right with me.

But just looking for other peoples opinions on it – I think it’s a bad idea, but is it really?
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

m0ff

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
Well, a few people have told me to do this – but wondering if this is a good idea or not. I think part of the reason why I am having a hard time finding the type of job I want, is because I am returning to school in the fall, and the jobs I am applying for seem like they want perm/full time employees and not people returning to school in the fall. Ie: programming/developers/etc.

And, on the last two interviews I have been asked if I am returning to school in the fall, and I’ll be honest and say yes, and then I sort of get a ‘mmmhmmm…..’ look from them, interview gets wrapped up shortly after – and I’m without a job.

So, a few people have suggested to me that I simply lie about returning to school in the fall. This strikes me as a bad idea, and potentially burning bridges – lie to get a job, then two weeks before class starts quitting on them, just doesn’t sit right with me.

But just looking for other peoples opinions on it – I think it’s a bad idea, but is it really?


I've lied about going back to school before. When I was going into first year university I needed a summer job, I got hired on at a restaurant as a bartender on the condition that I WASN'T going back to school in the fall. I just told them that things changed and I got an offer I couldn't refuse. They understood, and were actually quite supportive...supportive enough that they actually hired me back the next summer knowing that I was going back to school in the fall for second year.
It really depends how much the job means to you, and how integral it is in your professional development. The job I mentioned above meant absolutely nothing to me, I was just there for the money, and obviously it meant nothing to my professional development, so really I didn't feel so bad that I was lying to them.
 

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think you'd only be burning bridges there. I mean, you can always say your situation's changed later in the summer, but from the employer's persective it seems pretty slimy IMO.
 

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
It's also pretty slimy of employers to NOT hire students, because that allows them to get around some labour laws. Discrimination against students is unfortunately not covered.
 

swilly

TRIBE Member
Say whatever you have to, to get a job. They say whatever they have to, to get a worker so it goes both ways.

swilly
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
edit: for tesseract

Of course you're right, but there are other student opportunities out there, and it's tough from a company perspective to interview and train someone at the beginning of summer, then go through that process again in the fall when the student leaves.

Ideally, the company would have a formal summer student program, but that is their perogative. Maybe the workload is not large enough to require permanent staff as well as students.
 

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
edit: for tesseract
Of course you're right, but there are other student opportunities out there, and it's tough from a company perspective to interview and train someone at the beginning of summer, then go through that process again in the fall when the student leaves.
Ideally, the company would have a formal summer student program, but that is their perogative. Maybe the workload is not large enough to require permanent staff as well as students.

That's very possible, but in some cases, the workload remains the same. The worst offenders of this act, in my experience, have been CostCo. They don't hire students, because of scheduling - it's not like students don't have nights or even some days off... noooo Costco needs FULL availibility for all employees, even part time employees. Of course, this is in complete reverse of what this thread is about, but still... it is discriminatory against students, because they will hire them en masse for the summer period, then let them all go on the sunday of Labour-day weekend.

I had one summer season extended because they didn't keep track of time, and scheduled me for an extra 2 weeks past my contract end. If you've ever been in a Costco, you know very well that they're busy 11months of the year. The only month they aren't busy is January - that goes without saying in the retail world, right?
Besides, it's not like that job required a heavy set of skills to be acquired.

I feel sorry for some of my co-workers there... They're effectively stuck in dead-end jobs, because the management really sucks. There are cashiers there making $20/hr, and haven't been given any sort of oppurtunities beyond working the tills. The saddest part of it all, is there are University students (or grads) working there, in lowly positions, while a large amount of the management team doesn't even have a college diploma to their name.



At the end of it all, some managers/employers will think up any bullshit excuse to not hire someone, and being a student makes it all that more easy.
 

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
I "thought" I had graduated last summer. But a month ago I got a letter from OCAD saying that I had taken the wrong course last year and had to come back to school to finish my degree. Fuck those assholes. I got a job now design work, my employer doesn't know I "have" to go back, and probably wouldn't care. I'll do a night course if I decide to go back.
 

Deus

TRIBE Member
Don't worry about lying about going back to school. It's something that you have to do if you want to get a decent job for the summer. If you don't then you'll end up with a student job that pays minimally. I did it last summer, and a lot of people do this.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
I feel sorry for some of my co-workers there... They're effectively stuck in dead-end jobs, because the management really sucks. There are cashiers there making $20/hr, and haven't been given any sort of oppurtunities beyond working the tills

20 bucks an hour to do fuck all, with little responsibility, and your worried about them ?

lol
 

thom100

TRIBE Member
it costs companies hundreds if not thousands of dollars to train employees. I think it is kinda lame to waste this time and effort when you know it is not long term employment you are looking for, while there are plenty of people that are.
The student years are rough years for employment pay wise, that is why you are going to school right?
And Tesseract are you really trying to get sympathy about Costco employees? isn't that a given once you walk in the doors of any Costco as a customer or employee that you are entering a bigboxgreymarketeverythingthatiswrongwithourtime store? Are you going to try to defend you case with Walmart staff being treated unfair next?
 

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I've lied about going back to school to get a job once only the opposite way. I didn't think I was going back when I applied for the job. I turned out going back to school anyway but at one point I did lie about it.

Personally I wouldn't feel bad about lying to get a job. Maybe just tell them a gray-area lie where you 'aren't sure' if you're going back in the fall because if it works out well with their company you'd like to stay on full time.
 

Deus

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
it costs companies hundreds if not thousands of dollars to train employees. I think it is kinda lame to waste this time and effort when you know it is not long term employment you are looking for, while there are plenty of people that are.
The student years are rough years for employment pay wise, that is why you are going to school right?

She's a student, that's exactly why she needs a better paying job. It's better to lie now to get a good job than to burry yourself in student loans, which I think you're familiar with.. And who cares about how much it costs to the companies. They leach off of their employees; we leach off of them.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Kaniz, to be honest, for my summer placement program, many employers want students. Especially the bigger companies like law firms, IT companies and admin stuff. It's part of their requirements.

And I can only register students returning to school for my program. But if you lied, I would never be able to prove that. Or prove that to my employers when I send them candidates. Because essentially, there always IS a possibility you could be going back to school.

So lie if you want. It's definitely unethicail but Vinder's right, gotta look out for #1 when you're looking for work.
 

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
question...are you in the midst of completing your degree or are you considering going back to do another program in the fall?
cuz if you are in the midst of your degree, they will be able to tell on your resume and would be fools to think that you are going to stay in september.
if you are considering going back for another degree, then you can just act like you are looking for permanent work and then in the summer, tell them you just got your acceptance letter so you need to change your plans.
 

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
also, in most fields, your work experience will be your ticket to another job way more so than one more year of schooling would be.
so do what you can to get good relevant work experience in the summers cuz it is soooo key when looking for work upon graduation.
(obviously this is only applicable to certain sectors)
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
In the past, I generally got jobs in my career path through luck/networking, but thats not playing in my favor this summer and I'm having zero luck finding work so far.

But, I just finished the 3rd year of a 4 year program. Generally, I dont like the idea of lying to land a job, seems to lend way to burning bridges down the road. On the other hand, I need work --- guess I could just say "finished my 3rd year, but looking to take a year or two off to get some real world work expiernece" or something? *shrug*

Just been looking for a job for the last few weeks, havnt had any luck and pretty bummed thinking that I'm gunna be ending up working a McJob for the first time ever pretty much.
 

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Best thing I ever did was lie to bell mobility about NOT going back to school. Got a CS rep job that paid 13.95 for 8 weeks of training. Guess what I did in the 7th week - I quit - took a week off and had fun before going back to school.

Best summer job ever.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
EffinHard said:
Best thing I ever did was lie to bell mobility about NOT going back to school. Got a CS rep job that paid 13.95 for 8 weeks of training. Guess what I did in the 7th week - I quit - took a week off and had fun before going back to school.

Best summer job ever.

Yup. I am not allowed to tell clients that but I hint and hope they clue in.
 
Top