• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

lucid dreaming

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Over the past few months I think I've been getting pretty close to being conscious that I'm dreaming when I'm asleep.

Lately I have had tons of dreams where I have a hard time walking or running, and have woken up to find the person I share the bed with to be on the couch cause I was kicking them to death. Then today, I'm home from work today sick, so have been napping on and off all day. I dreamed that my mum was over and that I was yelling hysterically at her cause I couldn't see (since my eyes are obviously closed when I'm sleeping). I know that's not lucid dreaming but these types of dreams are happening pretty often lately and I'm always feeling like I'm close to figuring something out in the dream.

In my next dream today, I was sitting in my workplace talking to some coworkers about my night. I handed them some change so that they could put it on their international expense account, telling them that I got it from someone at the CNE who guessed my salary wrong and then sold me popcorn. I stopped myself mid-way through the sentence, looked at the half eaten bag of popcorn I was still holding, and then said, 'Wait a minute, I think I'm making this stuff up, cause I didn't pay for this popcorn and I made it all the way home from the CNE without any shoes!'

I figure since I'm starting to notice shit that doesn't make sense while I'm still dreaming, that's a good sign.

Anyone here able to have lucid dreams? Any tips?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
That is odd? There must be some sort of literature on 'dreams and what they mean". I find I have the oddest dreams when I eat before bed, or if Im sick-I'm sure there is some sort explanation for this.

kat

TRIBE Member
ive had a couple lately. its weird..

well..wait. its is still lucid dreaming if everything is going slowly? lately i can never walk/run fast enough in my dreams.
i will be moving my legs soo fast, but only moving inches at a time. which sucks.

when i want to change what im doing/where im going in my dreams, it gets confusing. like if i want to walk into another room it takes forever to get there. like the room is "loading" or something.

i always dream that im someone else. im hardly ever myself - but i am at the same time. make sense?
its like watching a movie, i switch from 1st to 3rd person..switch entire characters etc.

i've had a couple of animated and black & white dreams before too. fun times.

Its Pooched

TRIBE Member
I have but one piece of advice to offer and have found that this works to great avail in my own lucid dreaming experience.
During your conscious day try to ask yourself "Am I dreaming?" every time you walk through a doorway. It sounds stupid but it gets imprinted into your subconscious after you repeat this process many times. Soon you will find yourself asking this question in your sleep as you walk through doorways and suddenly you will become aware that you are dreaming and then you will be fully able to alter your dreams to your liking.
I find asking myself this question also helps me through my conscious day because I have come to realize how often I am asleep when I should be more aware and awake in my life.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes

I figure since I'm starting to notice shit that doesn't make sense while I'm still dreaming, that's a good sign.

I think you've already figured out the hardest part. If you get to the point in your dreams where you can stop and say to yourself "this has got to be a dream", then theoretically, you should be able to take control of the dream from there, and do whatever you want...

I've never done it, but that was what one of my profs told us. He said he used to lucid dream all the time, and told us about some crazy shit.

You gotta love that you can get a university credit for a class called "Altered States of Consciousness".

Maggs :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
can i ask why you would want to control your dreams (if that's possible)?

it seems to me they might be most helpful when they are constructed solely from your subconscious.

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
I'd say that well over half of my dreams are lucid...and I had no idea this wasn't common until a few months ago.

I usually know that I'm dreaming right off the bat, and I can explore, chill and watch people, whatever.
Best of all, I seem to have dreams that continue from other dreams from different nights...almost like a serial or something.
And I have no idea why I can do this...but I think it's pretty cool.

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
had a lucid dream a few days ago.. scared me... as they always do..because i feel so locked into them.. like i tried to awaken but i couldn't and i got stuck in an inbetween state

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: lucid dreaming

Originally posted by jmaggs
I think you've already figured out the hardest part.

But I haven't quite figured out how to make the leap from 'I think I'm making this up' to 'I think I'm dreaming.

Thanks pooch, I'll try that doorway business.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
useful website ?

I've experienced these before. Although i never knew what they were called until you posted this. They tend to come and go.

I've also had nightmares where i am aware of the fact that its a nightmare but i cant alter my reaction to whats happening. Its really freaky cause you are aware of your body and you surroundings but feel paralyzed.

kat

TRIBE Member
i know im dreaming..

but ive only done something about it when im scared of the dream. or i have a dream that im at work or doing something shitty

otherwise im just not creative enough to think of anything to do. so i just go along with whatever presents itself.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I lucid dream. Especially if I'm very tired, I start dreaming before I'm asleep.

My dreams look like they're painted on black backgrounds, everything is dark. I often can not run, I'm trying my hardest but I feel too tired and can only walk. Up until a few years ago I would realize I'm dreaming and try to force myself out of them, it would feel like trying to swim to the surface in molasses.

However in the past few years I've been able to take control of my dreams and ride them out often stretching them way longer.

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster

it seems to me they might be most helpful when they are constructed solely from your subconscious.

I think that the benefit of being lucid in your dreams is to be able to turn ANY dream into a SEX dream.

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow
Best of all, I seem to have dreams that continue from other dreams from different nights...almost like a serial or something.
And I have no idea why I can do this...but I think it's pretty cool.

yaa..me too.

deja vu dreaming

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
How about a bit of both?

I don't do much analyzing of my dreams Mel, so I wouldn't be taking away from anything if I started to exert a little control over what happens when I dream.

deep

TRIBE Member
I either never remember my dreams or don't have them, letalone make them lucid. Stuff like melatonin will make them more apparent / intense though.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster

that's supposing that dreams necessarily have meaning (which a lot of people want to believe they do, because of the things they see in their dreams). there is a camp in neuroscience that thinks dreams may just be the byproduct of particular types of activity in the brain while sleeping, and is really just the random noise produced by that. not necessarily something cohesive with meaning.

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
I either never remember my dreams or don't have them, letalone make them lucid. Stuff like melatonin will make them more apparent / intense though.

I'm in your boat too deep.

I use to be able to totally control myself in my dreams up until I was around 13.

Now I don't remember shit.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

No shit. Huh.

I just took some for the first time the other night, and you're totally right. I did have very vivid dreams. Almost slightly more normal than usual.

I'm going to try it again tonight.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Oooh I just read that lucid dreaming is more likely to happen during a nap.

There are lots of tips on that website I posted up there.