• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Loyalty is only jersey deep

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Interesing article I read in Hamilton Spectator

The game's about winning, not the players

By Scott Radley

Once upon a time, professional hockey players came up through an organization's system and became intrinsically tied to that team.

They became identified as Montreal Canadiens or Toronto Maple Leafs. We cheered for them because we considered them one of us. They were what our team was all about. We watched them develop and grew attached to them.

Not anymore. This is an age of rapid-fire trades, salary dumps and big-market-versus-small-market considerations that lead many athletes to play for several teams in their careers.

We now just support the right-coloured shirt, no matter who is in it.

And the expected onslaught of deals by today's 3 p.m. National Hockey League trade deadline will just add to those numbers.

It means that fans have essentially been reduced to cheering for laundry.

It's the reason Colorado fans were able to root for Ray Bourque, who was the embodiment of the Boston Bruins. Or how Leaf fans are now ga-ga over Brian Leetch, who will always be a New York Ranger.

Where fans were once a little discriminating about who played on their teams, now it's simply all about the colours. Doesn't matter how much you hate a player. The instant he pulls on the shirt of your favourite team, all past sins are forgiven and he's transformed from vile villain to wonderful human being.

Consider Bryan Marchment. Once considered by most Leaf fans to be the dirtiest player in hockey and a brutal knee hunter, opinions dramatically changed when he pulled a Maple Leaf jersey over his well-beaten face. In an instant he morphed from a cruel jerk, who deserves a good beating, to a great character guy, who takes no guff in front of his own net.

Gritty replaced dirty. A guy with no soul turned into a guy with a big heart. A cheap-shot artist became a man willing to do whatever was necessary to win. A guy whose style of play has no place in hockey became the kind of player every team needs to win a cup.

All because of the shirt he was now wearing. In Colorado's purple and silver, he was an idiot. In the Leafs' blue and white, he's a hero.

Same thing with Ed Belfour, a guy Leaf fans used to love to hate in Chicago red and Dallas green, but now revere in Toronto blue.

This isn't restricted to hockey. Just this weekend, Alex Rodriguez was vigorously booed when he played on the road against the Red Sox. Among Boston fans, who once thought he'd be playing for them this season and were ready to make him king of Beantown, he's about as popular as a bottle of Ex-Lax at a Mexican water tasting convention. But the cheers would have been deafening if he'd landed with Boston this off-season.

It wasn't all that long ago that the despised Rickey Henderson became a Toronto fan favourite when he became a Blue Jay. And that Mike O'Shea received a hero's welcome during his brief return to Hamilton.

No longer do you have Ted Lindsay being traded to the Blackhawks and not talking to his new teammates for several days because his spite for them from past experiences was so strong. Or Phil Esposito threatening
to throw himself out his hotel window when he was traded to the despised Rangers.

No longer do you have fans demanding excellence from players they previously hated before absolving them of past behaviours. We're way too superficial and eager for immediate gratification for that now.

It's why if you're a Leafs fan, you probably wouldn't object to seeing the biggest enemy of your team get acquired at the deadline. You'd suddenly forget about his hit from behind on Darcy Tucker in the playoffs if Daniel Alfredsson was pried loose from the Senators. Same thing if noted Leaf-baiters Donald Brashear or Sandy McCarthy were suddenly to call the Air Canada Centre home. Or even if the much-hated Bobby Clarke, who's turned dissing Toronto into an art form, took over from Pat Quinn.

Is this really a good thing? Surely sports should be about more than that. Teams should be identifiable by the players on them, not just by their uniforms.

Frankly, fashion just shouldn't be that important on the ice.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

JMan

TRIBE Member
The era of loyalty in sports is almost gone... still some good stories, but it's pretty much all bidniz now.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
just look at how Leafs fans demonize and wish ill on the goalie who carried them in the playoffs for 4 years, did all the community work he could, and had no choice but to leave

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude
just look at how Leafs fans demonize and wish ill on the goalie who carried them in the playoffs for 4 years, did all the community work he could, and had no choice but to leave

those are the leafs fans with their heads up their asses

i still cheer for Cujo, and everyone I know does as well.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
You guys are talking about the goalie that said I'm leaving you guys cause I want a real chance at the cup then got bumped back to the minors by his new team?!

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
I don't - but I reallynever ever liked him as our goalie. He's a nice guy and all.

Well, that's alright...as long as your allegiances didn't change when he came and went. ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Although I can see why his jump from Toronto to Detroit just to win a Cup is a point of irritation.

It wasn't the fact that he wanted a Cup that caused a hatred. It was more that he abandoned a pretty solid team to do it.

The Leafs had gone to the conference finals the year before and didn't lose much, besides Joseph, in the offseason - it was a slap in the face to say that they didn't have a realistic shot at the Cup last year.