• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Lounges & Clubs Playing Funky, Latin, Disco House

in2house

TRIBE Member
Are there any places in the city playing funky, latin, disco house?

I'd like to invite some friends out who usually listen to Top 40 (or as I call it Bottom 40) music. However, they do enjoy alot of the Defected, Africanism and MAW stuff when they hear it. I'm so tired of going to places and hearing nothing but hip hop and horrible commercial house. Its gutless has no real flavour. I do enjoy checking out the soulful stuff but I find that its a hard sell to people that never listen to it. Clubs that do play "house" are stuck in the electro mode which I find absolutely boring. Yes, there is some good electro out there but I feel that its far a few between.

I recall a place on College (next to The Standard) that was playing some funky stuff like (Martin Solveig's Cabo Parano) last summer.

I get the feeling that I'm looking for something that doesn't exist... Please prove me wrong....

BTW - I'm listening to Lego's When I'm With You... Love the horns!!!

AshG

Are there any places in the city playing funky, latin, disco house?

I'd like to invite some friends out who usually listen to Top 40 (or as I call it Bottom 40) music. However, they do enjoy alot of the Defected, Africanism and MAW stuff when they hear it. I'm so tired of going to places and hearing nothing but hip hop and horrible commercial house. Its gutless has no real flavour. I do enjoy checking out the soulful stuff but I find that its a hard sell to people that never listen to it. Clubs that do play "house" are stuck in the electro mode which I find absolutely boring. Yes, there is some good electro out there but I feel that its far a few between.

I recall a place on College (next to The Standard) that was playing some funky stuff like (Martin Solveig's Cabo Parano) last summer.

I get the feeling that I'm looking for something that doesn't exist... Please prove me wrong....

BTW - I'm listening to Lego's When I'm With You... Love the horns!!!
now that could be a difficult find these days.

i'd say that college is probably your best bet, tho i wouldn't know where to begin - probably octapus has the odd night like that, depending on who's playing. and sometimes maybe Suba, tho they're both more strictly deep type places by and large.

footwork has the odd thing somewhat like that - i'm playing with heather and collette march 7. it'll be funky, fun music, some horns(chicago style lego action in part), tho its unlikely you'll hear much in the way of defected type stuff.

in2house

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the reply. I can't understand why more places don't host nights like this. Add some decent house remixes of current R&B tracks and I'm sure you can keep the "Top 40" crowd happy but also keep it funky and upbeat. Considering that your most likely playing to a more mature crowd, playing some older stuff like Powerhouse's I Got What You Need or ATFC's Bad Habit (the original) should revive some memories of good times.

Judging by some of the posts I've read in the past, some members are glad to be done with the funky stuff and have moved on. Thats cool, as I like hearing new things as well but when I hear re-releases (usually titled 08 or 09 Remixes), they just don't deliver like the originals.

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
If there was a club out there with nights like this, I'd go out more often. Music nowadays sucks.

I miss good house music like you've mentioned.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
well i think there's a lot of great "big" deep house nights but they are too expensive to bring casual listeners to. if anyone's been reading my posts as of lately sorry if i sound like a broken record, i just don't want to see good music become only available to an exclusive crowd. well probably better to post my rant in this thread than on the event reviews and roll calls, that's probably not good form :D

but that's part of the problem the way i see things right now, especially as someone who works hard producing this style of music i think it should be available for all to enjoy.

you can hear all sorts of electro nights for an affordable price, but for deep and jazzy it's either in a tiny tiny club or a heavy cover if it's in a bigger room.

i really have to tip my hat to the drake for a party they threw a few weeks ago closer to new years - well it was the whole week of $5 shows, the end was a techno night with a great lineup and yeah it was $5. obviously that's some sort of advertisement for the bar or maybe a hidden sponsor, but you get my point.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

erika

TRIBE Member
jason palma and johnny lopez are now doing a night every thursday at toibar that would be more what you're looking for.
I can't recommend A Man Called Warwick's Turning Point night at the Gladstone highly enough: a complete vacation guaranteed when you go there! You will not, however, hear any house; you will hear african, afro-cuban, and unbearably good latin stuff.
Footprints at the Rivoli is also good for that.
Then completely on the latin side, I keep getting these invites for a place on College west of Dufferin - haven't checked it out yet.
Finally if you want good deep house with people who love to dance, go to Toika on Thursday night to see Dale.

diablo

TRIBE Member
well i think there's a lot of great "big" deep house nights but they are too expensive to bring casual listeners to. if anyone's been reading my posts as of lately sorry if i sound like a broken record, i just don't want to see good music become only available to an exclusive crowd. well probably better to post my rant in this thread than on the event reviews and roll calls, that's probably not good form :D

but that's part of the problem the way i see things right now, especially as someone who works hard producing this style of music i think it should be available for all to enjoy.

you can hear all sorts of electro nights for an affordable price, but for deep and jazzy it's either in a tiny tiny club or a heavy cover if it's in a bigger room.
Seriously. $20+ covers suck. Electrohouse - by and large - sucks worse.

[SQUARE]

TRIBE Member
Have you ever been to li'ly lounge on college street? I went there once for a friend's bday and it was pretty cool. Its a restaurant type deal on the main level and a small clubby environment on the lower level. A lot of the house that was being played was pretty much what you described. Might as well give it a try?

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
im putting together a night that will be bi weekly on college street, funky house, classic house, disco house, tribal house, etc.. minimal or no electro, not progressive unless its classic, and no techno, unless its classic..

thoughts before i enter this venture??

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
im putting together a night that will be bi weekly on college street, funky house, classic house, disco house, tribal house, etc.. minimal or no electro, not progressive unless its classic, and no techno, unless its classic..

LOL!

anyways to retreat on some of my comments, i think no matter what genre you're in to, you have to have your ear to the ground to find where the good parties are that don't destroy your bank account. any style of music will have shows with inflated prices i guess.

thank goodness there's top notch dj talent in this city.

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member

Can't wait.. I'll be there!

Renegade Masta

TRIBE Member

Yeh i would like to be part of the line up

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

erika

TRIBE Member

Have you done it?
Why College particularly (as opposed to Dundas or Queen)?
I like the no progressive; how about no tech-house too?
Your definition of what "classic" is may not mesh with that of others, so you may want to draw your focus in a bit (mrtunes knows what I mean ;)).
Li'ly as mentioned is alright, and there are already nights of that ilk there.
Riva can be ok for that, as is the place across the street - is it called Strangelove now?
And Suba of course...

derek

TRIBE Member
yeah, nick holder, jason palma, and paul e lopes all have nights on college at varying places. octopus, li'ly, toi bar. can't miss really.

DJ_Psyence

TRIBE Member

Would be interested to get an update on this too.

AshG

Ok there's a new place that just opened in Parkdale called Blondie's and its run by the some of the former Element Bar guys. They have a solid lineup of housey-house stuff lined up, and its at: 1378 Queen W.(Queen and Brock)

So for Nov 20, its free, and we have:
LOOPITY GOOFS
MIKE GLEESON(me)
and maybe someone else

In fact, if you'd like to play at this or one of other parties, you can shoot us a link to a recent mix or production work at: bouncehousemusic@gmail.com

Or pm me here!

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
i did a couple of places in the city to get a feel for where would be good..

nothing south of queen, unless you have a big name to draw, and a good crowd of loyalists...

ive been doing events outside of toronto and been super successful at it. have a gig in guelph at the albion this coming friday, pure old school funky, filtered, chunky, disco house.. club bombs, and shakers... ill record it for you guys..

its tough to start an "classics" night because like tribe, so many of us have aged and have other priorities...

also the new hipsters who listen to house dont really get it unless it has some electro sting on it...

i do like what hatiras, and others are doing now by bringing back the dico house feel.. i like this comeback and it may prove good...

i would totally be up for doing a night still somewhere in toronto, but need a) a decent roster of regulars, b) a good group of people who can bring friend upon friend out to an establishment to get down to the disco house, c) a club willing to take a chance on something that isnt mainstream or electro...

i'd be interested in teaming with ASHG on this new bar with the element guys and getting a revival of sorts going...

with more people, and more momentum it can work...

id be up for meeting for drinks and discussing this further with anyone..