• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Louis CK was a funny funny man

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I think it's the absence of consent as well as that he's shirked responsibility/been seen being truly accountable for his impact.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure that makes him worthy of our disdain, but I would be very open to hearing opposing views on this.

I am confused. You are not sure that repeatedly masturbating in front of women he is not sexually involved with makes him worthy of our disdain? Do you think these women in the Times story are the only people he did this to? Is that acceptable behaviour to you?

What do you think it feels like to be a young woman trying to make it in comedy to sit there while someone older and established takes out his penis and starts to masturbate in front of you?

Here are some important bits from the NYT story:

The women feared career repercussions.

For years afterward, Ms. Schachner said, she felt angry and betrayed by an artist she looked up to. And she wondered what she could have done differently. “I felt very ashamed,” she said.

Yet in an interview with The Times in September at the Toronto film festival, where “I Love You, Daddy,” was shown, Louis C.K. dismissed stories of his alleged sexual misconduct as “rumors,” and said the notion that the masturbation scenes referred to them never occurred to him. “It’s funny, I didn’t think of that, ” he said.

When he phoned her, he said he was sorry for shoving her in a bathroom. Ms. Corry replied that he had never done that, but had instead asked to masturbate in front of her. Responding in a shaky voice, he acknowledged it and said, “I used to misread people back then,” she recalled.

The call confounded her, Ms. Corry said: not only had he misremembered the incident, which made her think there were other moments of misconduct, he also implied she had done something to invite his behavior.

He is worthy of your disdain.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

CiG

TRIBE Member
The women feared career repercussions.

I think articles need to cover this for future could be victims. have some self respect and leave in these situations or you are possibly whoring your self out and enabling the abuser.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I think articles need to cover this for future could be victims. have some self respect and leave in these situations or you are possibly whoring your self out and enabling the abuser.

What's the weather like up there on your high horse?

By owing up to his now, he's probably saved his career - he'll be out of the loop and will need to lay low for a few years, but the fact he took responsibility for it now, gives him the chance for a comeback,

Rob Lowe did it, and he made an sex tape with an underage girl.

CK's movie, however probably won't be out until at least a decade, maybe less, depending on how quickly the media and the public forgive him and forget about it.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
By owing up to his now, he's probably saved his career - he'll be out of the loop for a few years, but the fact he took responsibility for it gives him the chance for a comeback,

Rob Lowe did it, and he made an sex tape with an underage girl.

CK's movie, however won't be out until at least a decade, maybe less, depending on how quickly the media and the public forgive him and forget about it.
did nobody notice that mel gibson is back in the movies. he was a pariah what, 8 years ago.

He's still on shakey ground, but yeah, you're right. Good point.

So long as CK shows remorse and tries to make amends (like Gibson has tried to do), he'll get a chance at coming back.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I am confused. You are not sure that repeatedly masturbating in front of women he is not sexually involved with makes him worthy of our disdain? Do you think these women in the Times story are the only people he did this to? Is that acceptable behaviour to you?

What do you think it feels like to be a young woman trying to make it in comedy to sit there while someone older and established takes out his penis and starts to masturbate in front of you?

Here are some important bits from the NYT story:

He is worthy of your disdain.

There you go again imposing your morality. While I agree in this case I simply don't think it's correct to be a moral-nazi like you tend to be.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member

1. this reaction is profoundly lacking in empathy.

2. it is not up to the people who are put in these positions to act in a way that avoids "enabling" an abuser. the responsibility for this situation lies solely with the man who decided to masturbate in front of women repeatedly.

3. in addition to the fight or flight response that humans experience in stressful situations, many people also experience a freeze or appease response. this is a stress/panic response and it is extremely common in sexual assault or harassment situations. this is what happened here. also reread the words you quoted.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Good for him. Owning his actions and their impact is a good first step.

Dunno if this addresses his phone wack off thing, or anything else that may be out there, so I'll hold off passing judgement.

Know what? There’s no judgement to pass. He’s admitted that he’s a power-abusive, creepoid predator. Now he’s gonna “listen”. He’s really sorry.

Sorry don’t cut it.

...just like most other lofty-freak pieces of shit that get caught (bullies to murderers), this douche-bag is offering a lame-ass mea culpa before sentencing (obviously in the career and legacy, rather than the “court of law” variety in this instance).

A 50 year old that’s a scum-bag is a scum-bag. He’s not gonna take an intermission, change suits, get therapy and come out of it being any less of a slime-ball.

Fuck Louis CK.

Last edited:

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
There you go again imposing your morality. While I agree in this case I simply don't think it's correct to be a moral-nazi like you tend to be.
Where’s the moral fascism in janiecakes’ comment about whipping one’s junk out and jerking it in front of people?

There’s a time and place for that, if that’s what floats you’re boat. You can find a partner that’s into it, or broker a deal and pay a professional up front.

...but if you’re in a position of influence or power over someone and you use it to get your jollies out - you’re well over the fucking line. It’s a pretty simple concept and morality is NO part of it.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Know what? There’s no judgement to pass. He’s admitted that he’s a power-abusive, creepoid predator. Now he’s gonna “listen”. He’s really sorry.

Sorry don’t cut it.

...just like most other lofty-freak pieces of shit that get caught (bullies to murderers), this douche-bag is offering a lame-ass mea culpa before sentencing (obviously in the career and legacy, rather than the “court of law” variety in this instance).

A 50 year old that’s a scum-bag is a scum-bag. He’s not gonna take an intermission, change suits, get therapy and come out of it being any less of a slime-ball.

Fuck Louis CK.

What I am aware of is the art as well as the artist. Sometimes I'm able to separate the two. Other times, it's a struggle. In time I'll know whether or not I can handle one, the other, or both. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future with this. Is there more?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
What I am aware of is the art as well as the artist. Sometimes I'm able to separate the two. Other times, it's a struggle. In time I'll know whether or not I can handle one, the other, or both. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future with this. Is there more?
Where the abuse of power, predatory sexual behaviour, racism and homophobia are concerned - I have no struggle.

Cosby was a favorite of mine, growing up. I have a bunch of his records.

I can guarantee that I’ll never listen to them again.