• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Louis CK and Bill Hicks

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Ah yes all men are rapists, killers or just plain stupid. This is so unoriginal and really not funny at all. Also that nut allergy bit is soooooo old and tired.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
He doesn't say ALL men are rapists and killers - jesus tapdancing christ, you are totally looking at all this shit was too literally with a fork up your ass. He's saying statistically men pose an extremely dangerous threat to women.

Also the peanut bit, It's so old and tired? the fuck? it's not like a knock knock joke.
seriously, Who else has done a bit about how maybe people who have a peanut allergy are supposed to die?

Who (if anyone) do you find funny then?

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Bill Hicks was definitely funny. Also as stated Doug Stanhope is probably the closest thing to that style we have these days. He is pretty ignorant about a lot of things but at least he is funny.

You guys have posted clips that are not funny but even if they were they certainly arent thought provoking or influential as touted earlier in this thread.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I guess the media constantly calling him the funniest person alive and him having hit specials and him selling a few million copies of his Beacon Theatre special on his website and him having millions of fans and his critically acclaimed TV series he writes and produces himself was all derived from him being ultimately unfunny and a "hack" comic with no influence. Right.

But sure dude, keep on thinking that.

I honestly feel a little sad for you if you can't see the humour in any of those clips.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I guess the media constantly calling him the funniest person alive and him having hit specials and him selling a few million copies of his Beacon Theatre special on his website and him having millions of fans and his critically acclaimed TV series he writes and produces himself was all derived from him being ultimately unfunny and a "hack" comic with no influence. Right.

But sure dude, keep on thinking that.

I honestly feel a little sad for you if you can't see the humour in any of those clips.

I guess I dont base my opinions blindly based on what the media tells me. Enjoy your Pabst, Bieber, Dane Cook, CNN and life in the good ol USA.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Sure thing pal.

The "media" doesn't exactly call Pabst the best beer, or Bieber the best singer of Dane Cook the best comedian. Way to totally miss my point.

There is a difference between "mainstream" attention and critical/media acclaim.

But by all means, be the rare guy amongst your peers who thinks CK is massively unfunny. The contrarian.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I guess I dont base my opinions blindly based on what the media tells me. Enjoy your Pabst, Bieber, Dane Cook, CNN and life in the good ol USA.

That's a weird response.

Is it because Louis is so popular now that he's a hack?

I saw him 4-5 years ago close out the Just for laughs festival. He came on last (a tough thing in the comedy circuit) after Sarah Silverman, John Mulaney, Arj Barker, David Cross, and Todd Glass. He leveled the place. It was by far the strongest set of the night.
Perfectly crafted anecdotes, peppered with coarse and self deprecating humor.

I saw Anthony Jeselnik last year and during a Q & A session was asked about who he rates as the best around.
His response ran through a list of whom he believed to be at the top of the chain down through the years. Carlin, Chappelle and now Louis... and he said that Burr was the next big star.

I'm a bit confused by your ire for him. He is funny. His peers have positive things to say about him. Hacks rip off other comedians (Dane Cook & Carlos Mencia). Louis has worked hard to get to where he is. Give credit where it's due.

p.s. Comedy is subjective.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
ck is overrated in my mind. he is good but not incredible

burr is king followed by stanhope and jefferies
burress and shaffir are killing it too

djfear

TRIBE Member
The one problem I have with Burr, CK, and the likes of Katt Williams (I'm lumping them all together for a reason), is the hate in some of their skits. It takes over the joke and ruins the delivery in my opinion. You can't excel and be the don of comedy if you have real hatred in your comedy routine, because really, it just turns into preaching.

This comes from someone who has loved all of those comedians' work.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I think CK standup > CK shows.

I think the common feeling I had after an episode of his shows was:

A) that was a really fresh attempt at something
B) it wasn't hilarious

So like I respected his approach more than the end product - if that makes any sense?

And I felt like the promo for the show was a little heavy on the "Best Show" claims - a few years ago it was common to hear that Louie or The Walking Dead were "the best show on TV"

Wasn't true for either of them at any time IMO

silver1

TRIBE Member
Has anyone here watched Horace and Pete?

I'm only a couple of episodes in.

Interesting show. Definitely not a comedy, although it has it's "funny" moments but not in a laugh out loud kind of way.