• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

LOTR: ROTK Review Geek Thread (Spoilers)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
review/rant/discussion with spoilers

absolutely mind-blowing. this trilogy has raised the bar for all fantasy and action movies. ROTK was the best of the trilogy in my opinion.

i hope this movie wins the academy award for best picture. despite the academy's history of not acknowledging action and fantasy movies, it would be a shame to not recognize the ground-breaking effect of these films.

some questions:

1. if those giant eagles were so willing to help, why didn't gandalf just jump on one of the eagles at the very beginning, fly into mordor and drop the ring into the volcano? at the very least, why didn't the fellowship use the eagles to circumvent some of the more hazardous portions of their trek?

2. the films did not properly explain why the elves, dwarves and other races didn't help the humans fight sauron from the start. sauron was bad news for those races as well. the absence of the elves in ROTK is all the more odd given they helped defend rohan in TTT. defeating sauron was obviously important to agent smith, so why the hell didn't he pick up a weapon and join the fight?

3. why didn't anything bad happen when sauron's evil eye saw frodo in mordor? first, they're all like "no frodo! you can't let him see you!" ... then, the eye spots him and it's so NOT a big deal. was it really more important to sauron to send all of mordor to meet the puny human army than it was to get the ring from frodo?

4. why were the ringwraiths so useless at tracking the ring in TTT and ROTK? (the first movie made it seem like they would be forever chasing those holding the ring.)

forgive the nit-picking because this movie totally kicked my ass. excellent over-the-top EPIC acting (although aragorn's "braveheart" speech to rouse his troops did not send any shivers up my spine), awesome action and battle sequences, breath-taking direction and cinematography, a gorgeous musical score and, of course, a beloved story.

favourite scenes were (i) legolas going luke skywalker on those at-at elephants and (ii) eowyn kicking the shit out of that dragon and uber-wraith.

my ONLY complaint was the horrible, dragged out ending following the climax. the film could have ended on a high note after aragorn's crowning. the two WORST scenes were (i) frodo waking up in bed after sauron's defeat, followed by a big laugh from gandalf, then a big laugh from frodo, after which EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER stepped into the room, stopped, smiled, laughed heartily and then ran to join the hug-fest on the bed and (ii) gandalf/frodo saying goodbye to the hobbits at the very end ... did they really need to show every single hug between the respective characters in slow motion and did frodo really need to stop walking every 2 steps to turn back and smile?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Jennika

TRIBE Member
Will

I agree about the Ring Wraiths, I felt the same when reading the books. They were much scarier and threatening on horses than on the winged creatures.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Re: review/rant/discussion with spoilers

Originally posted by Klubmasta Will

some questions:

1. if those giant eagles were so willing to help, why didn't gandalf just jump on one of the eagles at the very beginning, fly into mordor and drop the ring into the volcano? at the very least, why didn't the fellowship use the eagles to circumvent some of the more hazardous portions of their trek?
If a giant eagle flew into Mordor it would have been picked clean by the Nazgul.
2. the films did not properly explain why the elves, dwarves and other races didn't help the humans fight sauron from the start. sauron was bad news for those races as well. the absence of the elves in ROTK is all the more odd given they helped defend rohan in TTT. defeating sauron was obviously important to agent smith, so why the hell didn't he pick up a weapon and join the fight?
The elves were in decline. As was said they were leaving, and by the end of the trilogy they were mostly gone. The dwarves were total isolationists. They took no part throughout. The task was left to men, that why they ended up inheriting the earth when it was done.

I can't comment on the other stuff as I haven't seen the movie.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: review/rant/discussion with spoilers

Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
If a giant eagle flew into Mordor it would have been picked clean by the Nazgul.
things in the movie, which may or may not be in the book (i only read FOTR), suggest that the giant eagles could take the nazgul. especially if gandalf got a bunch (flock? school? posse?) of giant eagles to help.

The elves were in decline. As was said they were leaving, and by the end of the trilogy they were mostly gone. The dwarves were total isolationists. They took no part throughout. The task was left to men, that why they ended up inheriting the earth when it was done.
this explanation works for the books but not for the movie; peter jackson CHANGED the nature of the elves when they volunteered to fight with the humans at helm's deep in TTT.

hurry up and see the movie. :)

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Rather than Star Trek the plot to death with 'how comes' I think you just have to accept that if all the giant eagles flew into Mordor they would get shot down. It's a perfectly reasonable premise.

While Jackson added the elves to Helms Deep for florish and style they couldn't fight Mordor because it is a story about the rise of humankind.

Granted that if you took any epic fantasy story (like this one) and presented it to a comic book nerd (that's a compliment Will) he would find a more efficient way to fight the evil.

I have tickets for the Saturday matinee which means I will have to suffer through these threads (which I can't stay away from) for the whole week!

It's a good thing that the movie really can't be spoiled as the story is very well known.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
This was the first trilogy that hasn't disapointed me since Return of the Jedi came out.

Best movie of the year and best movies of the the last 3 years!

That sequence where Legolas takes an entire elephant on his own was awesome and the ghosts were kick ass.

I'm going to reread the books next year.

Go FRODO!

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Re: review/rant/discussion with spoilers

Maybe the Nazgul's were most powerful in Mordor. Remember, no one but Frodo and Sam went into Mordor. Sauron is the most powerful of all the wizards, and going into his territory with his "eye" watching would prove most disastrous as he would be looking for a powerful foe, namely Aragorn or Gandalf, and rather overlook that of a Hobbit, the smallest of all intelligent creatures in Middle-Earth.

The Elves would have died if they stayed and fought. That is why they were going to the West, or wherever it was they were travelling. Remember when Smith Elrond said that Arwen's fate was tied to the ring? Elrond's fate was not, because he too possessed a ring of power (not The Ring of Power). Galadrial possess one as well as the other Elf in the ending scene whose name I forget. Just like in the opening rhyme states: Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne.

3. why didn't anything bad happen when sauron's evil eye saw frodo in mordor? first, they're all like "no frodo! you can't let him see you!" ... then, the eye spots him and it's so NOT a big deal. was it really more important to sauron to send all of mordor to meet the puny human army than it was to get the ring from frodo?
Technically, I believe the Eye was looking for Pippin, not Frodo, as when he peered into the Palantir and saw Sauron.

4. why were the ringwraiths so useless at tracking the ring in TTT and ROTK? (the first movie made it seem like they would be forever chasing those holding the ring.)
Good call. The Ringwraiths were busy posting HAVE YOU SEEN MY RING? BIG REWARD!!! signs all over the Shire.

my ONLY complaint was the horrible, dragged out ending following the climax. the film could have ended on a high note after aragorn's crowning. the two WORST scenes were (i) frodo waking up in bed after sauron's defeat, followed by a big laugh from gandalf, then a big laugh from frodo, after which EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER stepped into the room, stopped, smiled, laughed heartily and then ran to join the hug-fest on the bed and (ii) gandalf/frodo saying goodbye to the hobbits at the very end ... did they really need to show every single hug between the respective characters in slow motion and did frodo really need to stop walking every 2 steps to turn back and smile?
If you think that is horribly dragged out, you outta read the rest of the books. The whole journey of Sam and Frodo in Mordor just went on and on in the books. Thwe whole section with Shelob was about the 1/2 point in the film for Sam and Frodo, but that section was still in Two Towers. The ending sequence was quite accurate to the ending of the book, except that for when the Hobbits returned to the Shire. Many parts were missed there, which hopefully will be included in the DVD.

I really enjoyed when Aragorn started singing and in the theatre some chick started snickering and the other girl told her to shut up. That was entertaining.

Also, when that dude just off the stairs. Best recovery from a fall and exit from an embarassing situation. Gold!

Last edited:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: review/rant/discussion with spoilers

Originally posted by Aerius Zension
The Elves would have died if they stayed and fought. That is why they were going to the West, or wherever it was they were travelling. Remember when Smith Elrond said that Arwen's fate was tied to the ring? Elrond's fate was not, because he too possessed a ring of power (not The Ring of Power). Galadrial possess one as well as the other Elf in the ending scene whose name I forget.
i knew that ARWEN'S fate was tied to the ring, but i thought it was JUST HER. otherwise, elrond would have said "all regular elves fates" (or something like that) instead of "arwen's fate". plus, the elves that fought at helm's deep were fine even though bad stuff was already happening. plus, legolas was not affected by the ring. if legolas could stay and fight, why couldn't his bredren do the same?

Technically, I believe the Eye was looking for Pippin, not Frodo, as when he peered into the Palantir and saw Sauron.
yeah, see, that leads to ANOTHER thing that didn't quite make sense. why would sauron ASSUME that pippin had the one ring just because pippin happened to pick up that magic ball? what does one thing have to do with the other? (shouldn't someone as powerful as sauron know how to distinguish between things that he sees in his magic ball?)

I really enjoyed when Aragorn started singing and in the theatre some chick started snickering and the other girl told her to shut up. That was entertaining.
i would have told that bitch to shut up too. :)

Also, when that dude just off the stairs. Best recovery from a fall and exit from an embarassing situation. Gold!
hey, were you in theatre 3 at the paramount?

J e l o

TRIBE Member
Well...

I was thinking that the Movie was entertaining up until the ring was destroyed.
I did like the huge battle sequence, I loved the Ghost Army, I thought Gollum was great...still...This is some of the most Anti-Climactic shit I've seen.
"Throw it in the Volcano Frodo!" Yawn.
The Ending felt Ripped From Lucas with the fantastic entries through the doorway with Frodo lying in recovery. Maybe I was expecting more. The ending was like 'Whatever'.
Loved the effects also up until the end where we could clearly see both Hobbits running in front of a screen that reminded me of old Bond Films with Moore. Perhaps Jackson ran out of money and tried to make do.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: review/rant/discussion with spoilers

i would have told that bitch to shut up too. :)

hey, were you in theatre 3 at the paramount?
Yeah dude thats the number we sat right behind that guy and a few rows back from That 420 Guy.

Tarbox=Ironing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
i really enjoyed the movie last night...my only complaint was the dragged out ending...

anyone else think there was a lot of homo erotic staring between the hobbits?

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: review/rant/discussion with spoilers

Originally posted by Hi i'm God
Tarbox=Ironing.
did you hear me say that in the theatre?

i didn't know you guys were there. did you go with 420norm?

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: review/rant/discussion with spoilers

did you hear me say that in the theatre?

i didn't know you guys were there. did you go with 420norm?
No, just AZ and I but I talk to Norm Breifly. :) Did you say that about Tarboxx too? I said it a tad too loud :p

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Astroboy
i really enjoyed the movie last night...my only complaint was the dragged out ending...

anyone else think there was a lot of homo erotic staring between the hobbits?
i swear i thought they were going to make out. tension was there, but no homocore french kissin was to be had amongst the hobbits *sigh*

this movie was so much to absorb. very well done. the action sequences were intense, the story was rivetting, and legolas is too fuckin badass (and hawt) for words.

i agree that the ending was drawn out. i thought at least four times that the credits were going to roll up, only to be taken to another 20 minute extension of the story. and just when you thought it was over, more story.

as far as trilogies go, i haven't been this impressed since the original sw trilogy. definitely left the theater smiling and pleased with my $14 investment and 3.5hr assplant. lookin forward to seein it again.

p.s. nice to meet you god

- that orlando fan club guy :cool:

Jennika

TRIBE Member
just bought my tickets online for saturday's 4PM show. Tearer and I are going. any suggestions about how early we should get there to get a decent seat?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by that 420 guy
I definitely left the theater smiling and pleased with my $14 investment and 3.5hr assplant. lookin forward to seein it again.
w00t! I only paid $8 to see it up here in Snowcentral! :cool:

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jennika
just bought my tickets online for saturday's 4PM show. Tearer and I are going. any suggestions about how early we should get there to get a decent seat?
That's the show my friends are going to. We are going to show up 3ish.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
We where there @ 10:30 for the 12:01 and the dorrs where open and people sitting down. We didnt have a problem finding seats. It got really bad @ about 11:15-30

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories