1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

LOST - The TV Show....anyone else hooked?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Temper Tantrum, Nov 3, 2004.

1. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Hated the whole season, but LOVED the finale. Great tv.

2. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

^ this!

3. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Still not sure sure how I feel about it, I need more time...I have watched it from the very first season, week by week, not during marathon DVD sessions...all I can say right now is although I don't think it's the best show I've have ever invested my time in (Oz, The Wire) I can say that no other show I have ever watched has affected me like LOST has and the finale, while I'm still not able to come to terms with my feelings on it, moved me in ways I never thought a TV show could.

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

5. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

^agreed. Yes, it would have been nice to tie up all the answers with a pretty string, but what needed to happen, happened, and we're left with great television that'll be talked about long after it's done.

6. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Wonder how much money ABC made off the commercial slots. They certainly sold enough of them.

7. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I found this on another forum and thought it made a lot of sense.

Lobo

8. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

I feel that this sums up my take on things as well...it's been a few days and I liked it a lot at the time and feel even stronger about it now...what I like the most about the finale is that it DOES leave a lot up to the viewer to come to your own conclusions which in a way, makes the show that much more personal to each individual viewer...Tuesday nights wont be the same...

9. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

10. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

i dont know how so many people continue to use the theory of the island as a purgatory whent he writers and producers have denied this since season 3.

:confused:

11. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Yeah but it's not purgatory in the "literal" sense as Abrahms has said, more likely the sideways reality was closer to that description. And Lindelof seems to suggest that wherever they are still resides in a 'real' world, not a specific place like the Judeo-Christian purgatory.

12. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Let's just avoid this "p" word and say that the flash-sideways was just a "waiting room" as lots of people concluded before they moved on. This whole concept reminded me of this 1998 Japanese film titled "Afterlife" with very similar ideas. Has anyone ever seen this movie?

Wandâfuru raifu (1998)

Have to admit Matthew Fox described it quite well in the first few minutes of Jimmy Kimmel's special "Aloha to Lost". Wish I could have found the youtube clip and let you all hear what he had to say about it.

13. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

I think it was fairly obvious that the island, dharma, time travel, etc. all actually happened and the "flash-sideways" was the only thing that can be interpreted as "purgatory"

it's amazing how many people are all "I TOLD YOU THE ISLAND WAS PURGATORY" and then go on to reveal they stopped watching after season 2 and only read a recap of the finale (and obviously only skimmed it).

14. doughboy

doughboy TRIBE Member

Your Google powers are weak, old man.

15. erikwh

erikwh TRIBE Member

Seems like most people assume that this fictional narrative is wholly self-consistent and representative some deeper reality which the viewer was meant to discover. i feel like the writers stuck in whatever twists would make for exciting viewing at the time, eventually got stuck with a big mess of a story that didn't make complete sense, and so gave up trying to satisfy the fanboys and wrote this soft ending about the island being some vague afterlife waiting-room.

LET DOWNNN. the 7 seasons of STTNG made for better scifi (albeit with less kate austen)

16. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

The island and everything with it was real...the sideways flash from this season was the "waiting-room"...

17. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

Unanswered Lost Questions - CollegeHumor video

again would just reiterate. the island was NOT any sort of purgatory or waiting room. just the alt-LAX "timeline" that turned out to be the afterlife

The whole thing sort of reminded me of episode 7 of season 4. That was the one where it was the flashforward of Sun giving birth and they interspersed it with what seemed to be Jin trying to buy a toy for a baby implying that he had survived. In the end it turned out the Jin scenes were all flashbacks and completely unrelated to the scenes with Sun which were flash-forwards.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  18. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

weak sauce either way
    5 seasons of crazy shit going on that goes largely unexplained and left for dead to be wrapped up with some fucking paint by numbers feel good disney ending...FOR FUCKING REAL???

bullshit, i dont give a fuck if it was the best time of their lives, what the fuck was the island and about 5 million other mysteries that drew me into the show that just got discarded for that crap finale with cry-a-thon moments at all the right spots

19. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

eh, depends on how you viewed the series.

if you watched the series as a sci-fi/fantasy show and love the details and explanations, the ending was kind of bullshit.

if you watched the series as a character-driven drama which happened to be wrapped in sci-fi trappings then the ending was pretty satisfying.

I think that's what lost managed to do so well tho - it walked that line between character-driven stories and a fantastical setting...

To me, when damon and carlton announced that not everything would get answered, i was a little disappointed... but when Across the Sea came on and as soon as Mother stated "every answer I give will just lead to another question" I just took that to be basically the writer's response for the ones that need every last detail spelled out for them and decided to just roll with it...

What made the show successful at first was the mysteries. What made people stick with the show was the characters and development...

20. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

21. basketballjones

^again, that is total bullshit
    the show would never have lasted past the pilot if it wasnt for the mysteries and crazy shit going on
    take out the mysteries and such and you have gilligans island redux

no others means no one trying to kill them, so no need for anyone to really step up
    no hatch, no smoke monster, no whispers, no dharma, no time travel and NO FUCKING MOVING ISLAND means they just start a big fire and soon get rescued

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  22. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

it's collegehumor, and not meant to be taken seriously ;)

23. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

think i pretty much said the same thing.

but that's sort of the rub - if the story is essentially told from the character's perspective, they probably aren't going to get all the answers either. They might get some but some mysteries are still mysteries.

I never said it was better as one or the other - just that the show has *always* walked the line between a focus on the characters and their development and the mysterious setting they found themselves in.

It's just that the ending chose to highlight one over the other and it's obvious that some fans (like yourself) would have preferred a more explanatory ending while others were alright just rooting for the characters.

Not that it's either-or, but some people are ok with the ending focusing on the character-development aspect of the show rather than just a "lets explain everything"

Yes, I'd like to know what was up with walt and the pregnancies... actually that's about it - everything else I was fine with more or less...

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  24. basketballjones

there are far too many large mysteries that they simply abandoned after spending significant amounts of time building them up for them to be inconsequential because all of a sudden they decided it is now a character driven show

usually with mystery shows, character driven or not, you usually have said mysteries explained, not simply abandoned and forgotten with a ps at the end..sorry dude, we forgot to mention right at the last moment, those mysteries didnt mean anything even after the 5 seasons of nothing but

25. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

worst finale ever