1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Lord of the Rings on Blu Ray.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by agroberts, Apr 9, 2010.

1. agroberts

agroberts New Member

Couldn't find a thread on this yet and frankly, am flummoxed as to why this be. Time for fantasty, epic buffs, nerdlings, halflings, what have you-lings to come out of the woodwork and sing your praises for the most epic movie ever to be released on the mighty 'Ray. Oh, and it comes with a novelty "one ring to rule them all."

2. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Quality is not there it's not much better then HD tv broadcasts where (which are still really good).

Wait a few more months for the special edition. At least I am.

Also moved to geek forum.
  3. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

the reviews and screencaps ive seen have been CRAP. way over-processed and DNRed. so much hype for nothing..

ill pass
  4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

to be honest I actually MUCH preferred these movies in the theatre, where the projection equipment and film medium kind of overlayed a bit of grit over both the live action and CG components, resulting in a more cohesive whole.

Even on DVD connected with component or s-video to a CRT, I found that that the dissonance between the CG elements and the live action portions affected my immersion, cause you could see the difference much more clearly.
  5. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

This is my plan as well.
  6. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

I'm waiting for the 10 year anniversary 3D prelude to The Hobbit edition. ;)
  7. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I'm waiting for Tron remastered on Blu. You know Disney is gonna drop that like a month before Tron Legacy comes out :cool:
  8. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Man, I downloaded and watched, Now as a grownup I see why the first one got panned so much.

I loved it as a kid, still have the hand held video game AND it works.
  9. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Grab Tron 2.0 for PC. I'm sure it's floating around the web somewhere. It will hold you over til the Legacy film.
    Monolith made it, same guys who did F.E.A.R. and Condemned

10. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

my rule is simple, if I own it on DVD i'm not buying it on BR.

the dark knight is the only movie so far where I've considered breaking the rule.

Also I have to ask you guys what do you expect to gain by purchasing movies on BR that wasn't made for the medium. I'm not sure this applies to LOTR, but I'm talking more in general with movies like Blade, fight club etc....
  11. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

Downloaded a fantastic encode of the blu ray rips (x264 files, 576p) and it looks fucking amazing.

Can't wait for some solid 1080p rips to appear.
  12. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

the HDDVD versions of lord of the rings looked incredible.

this looks like poop.

also, theatrical cuts. Who gives a shit?
  13. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

The movies are shot on film. Film works on a resolution of molecules not pixels. So in theory the film can be rescanned to immensely high resolutions. So you can take any movie shot on film at any time in history and produce a much higher resolution copy for Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray of Blade Runner for example will quickly educate you as to why it can be worth buying the blu-ray to replace your DVD. The Blu-Ray destroys the DVD version regardless of how great your upscaling technology on your player is. If you love Blade Runner it's worth getting the Blu-Ray, the rescanning and remastering is breathtaking.

The only issue in the rescanning of film is the grain of the film. This does introduce a relative resolution of the film. However, film grain can be digitally edited out. Studios sometimes prefer to remaster their blu-rays to remove all the grain of the film. Others prefer to leave some grain in as it looked originally in the theater. It becomes a huge point of argument for movie nerds.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  14. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I see, doesn't the ratio it's shot in come into play, I understand the file argument and it makes total sense but I though it had more to do with how it was originally shot?

Either way thanks for the explaination Matt
  15. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

LOTR was not released on HD-DVD

and where are you judging this looking like "poop"?

I watched blu-ray rips, not even in full 1080, and it looked fantastic.
  16. Depends on what kind of a camera they used to shoot the film. Movies that were shot digitally (like say Collateral or Miami Vice), give a much more "vivid" look than something shot on film.
  17. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Yeah I'm holding off on these BR discs since they're the theatrical releases and I already have the extended versions on DVDs. I much prefer those versions TBH.

Coleridge is absolutely right about movies recorded on film and how they have a superior resolution (to an extent) and can easily be transferred to BR.

18. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

I'm still waiting for West Side Story to come out on Blu Ray. I wish gaming geeks were into musicals.
  19. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

hm, didn't realize these weren't the extended versions when I picked it up.
  20. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

21. pseudonoise

pseudonoise TRIBE Member

All blue rays are certainly not equal, that is for sure, especially when it comes to sound.

Having a muchos grande home theater you can really tell. So far the best I've bought so far for quality:
    - Pan's Labrynth
    - Master & Commander
    - Gladiator
    - Dark Knight
  22. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

It seems like a lot of red shirt HDDVD fans have been worming back out now that the holy grail is on BD to rant and smear BD for it being less then super.

It really doesn't matter about the quality of these discs because everyone knows about the Extended versions to come.
  23. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i think star wars will be the true holy grail
  24. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Here's to hoping they are released in 1-3; 4-6 order.
  25. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

GL can take episodes 1-3 and get bent

my children will not grow up in a world where they know anything other than 4,5,6