1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Looks Like I Better Get My Eyes Checked: Ontario Budget News

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Bernnie Federko, May 18, 2004.

1. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

why anyone is still wasting their time on you is a mystery to me

2. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

I'm not the one running low on material, I staked my position in this thead and successfully defended it (unlike you). Go get yourself some material and come check me out later.

3. 416

416 TRIBE Member

I see I'm going to have to spell this one out for you.

Adrian's information is incorrect. His figure of the total amount of the CHST transfer payment from the federal government of Canada of $7,537 billion is dishonest and misleading. At the request of various provincial leaders, the CHST transfer payment (which used to have a different name, but let's just call it the CHST) has been split into two portions. Half cash, half tax points. Adrian's figure excludes the tax point portion of the payement.

4. Bernnie Federko

You don't have to spell that out for me, because I agreed with you on it. Then you went out to frame me and I wasn't having it.

5. 416

416 TRIBE Member

I disagree. You said...

You also said...

Again, I disagree. I think you are having it.

6. Bernnie Federko

I don't think so. You didn't respond to Adrian's post adequately when he posted the graph, and then you came after me for some reason and I ain't having it. Either you're out of material, or you need a clue.

7. 416

416 TRIBE Member

Oh yes you are having it you little skank.

8. Bernnie Federko

You must be mistaken, I'm not your mother.

9. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

416 HA! You are a fucking little hobgoblin a troll today, aren't you? Three pissing matches in one thread! When one person loses interest you're clawing at someone else.

Keep the faith, dandilion. Soon you will be the biggest man on the net.

10. 416

416 TRIBE Member

Ya, it was a very productive day.

I even got that pantload Bernnie over here resorting to mom jokes.

11. Bernnie Federko

Who said anything about 'jokes'?

12. 416

416 TRIBE Member

ZING!

13. Bernnie Federko

Oh, the sarcasm. THE SARCASM!

Thanks for letting me finger you today. I enjoyed watching you back peddle.

14. kate

kate TRIBE Member

He's way smarter than all'ya'll.

I haven't even read the thread and I know that much-but I do especially like when he exposes that shit with the use of quotes.

Hi Jer :cool:

15. 416

416 TRIBE Member

Haha. Hey Kate.

16. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

You will notice the link that Vote Quimby posted only covers the period from 2001-02 to present. Let's take a look at some prior years (keeping in mind these are total CHST amounts including tax points and cash payments to all provinces):

1996-97 = $26.9 billion
    1997-98 = $25.8 billion
    1998-99 = $26.7 billion
    1999-00 = $29.4 billion
    2000-01 = $30.8 billion

Even with tax points, the increase is quite meagre at $2.9 billion. Ontario represents roughly 40% of the total, so that's $1.16 billion in 4 years compared to an increase in provincial health care spending of over $5 billion during the same period.

The whole point of the health care funding arrangement in 1977, including the transfer of tax points, was to ensure stable and predictable funding for the provinces. Cash payments were originally escalated by the rate of growth in the economy and the federal government could not unilaterally modify the funding formula. You might want to read the following link to get some insight into how the federal government has skipped out on its responsibility to the provinces.

http://www.cchse.org/HEAL/fact_sheets/financing_medicare_escalator_issue.htm

17. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

Politics in general affect everyone in a real day-to-day manner.

p.s. Apparently Dalton McGuinty will be at the same golf course as me the day of my company tournament. I'll wave and say hi for all of you.

18. jason klaps

jason klaps TRIBE Member

don't forget to ask him for a $900 Golf Course Premium while you're on the course :)

19. Puma

Puma TRIBE Member

How long will the people take this???? High gas prices, getting fucked buy the insurence company's high taxes. It's better to be on welfare and staying at home without a car..

The politicians are not doing anything for the people they are just coming up with more creative ways to squeez out more money from the taxpayers. Nothing is new.

People here in North America are to lazy to protest and their life to much depends on their work and can't even get days off to attend the protest.

Without strong public protest nothing will change and it will only get worse.

20. Bernnie Federko

Here’s what you need to know about Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s first budget

Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s first budget has fewer cuts than expected, raises spending overall and won’t balance the books for five years. Some highlights:

• While program spending for health and education will increase slightly, the budget also outlines cuts: The Ministry of Children’s and Social Services - which includes income assistance and the autism program - will see $1-billion in cuts by 2021-22.
    • The budget revealed significant funding changes for universities and colleges: The government is planning to tie more than half to performance outcomes, though it has not stated what those metrics would be.
    • There are new regulations for alcohol consumption: extending service hours to start at 9 a.m.; allowing bars to advertise “happy hour” discounts and legalizing tailgate parties.
    • Other budget item include a new child care tax credit and a dental care program for low-income seniors.

21. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

“If you look through this budget, it mentions booze and gambling 63 times. It mentions climate change 15 times and it mentions poverty zero times.”

22. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

“If you look through this thread, it mentions booze and gambling *@ times. It mentions climate change *@ times and it mentions poverty *@range times.”

23. Bernnie Federko

24. Bernnie Federko

Will be interesting to see whether the blue crew are able to balance the budget before the next election.

Where will they widen the tax base (raise taxes?)
    Where will the "find efficiencies"?

25. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

they already said they won't