• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Looks Like I Better Get My Eyes Checked: Ontario Budget News

SJN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
But an additional $600 a year for me in health care premiums?
see my post 2 pages back.....many people already think it likely that employers will be pressured (or in some cases obligated by existing language in CBAs) to reimburse the premiums to employees

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by SJN
see my post 2 pages back.....many people already think it likely that employers will be pressured (or in some cases obligated by existing language in CBAs) to reimburse the premiums to employees
Thanks for the heads-up, we shall see.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
Can I get some numbers on that pleae?
Sure!

The Canadian Health and Social Transfer (CHST) for Ontario was $6.6 billion in 1994-95. The payment declined every year to 1998-98 and fell to a low of $3.6 billion. In 2003-04, CHST payments were $7.5 billion, representing an increase of $0.9 billion from 1994-95 levels.

All of this information is readily available to the public through the Ministry of Finance website.

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Sure!

The Canadian Health and Social Transfer (CHST) for Ontario was $6.6 billion in 1994-95. The payment declined every year to 1998-98 and fell to a low of $3.6 billion. In 2003-04, CHST payments were $7.5 billion, representing an increase of $0.9 billion from 1994-95 levels.

All of this information is readily available to the public through the Ministry of Finance website.
That's funny, the source I checked said that Ontario's CHST for 2002-2003 was 13.7 Billion. What do you suppose might account for this disaparity?

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
That's funny, the source I checked said that Ontario's CHST for 2002-2003 was 13.7 Billion. What do you suppose might account for this disaparity?
The graph that AdRiaN posted is a delta.

Cheers ... Ian :)

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
That number is wrong. Plain and simple. Click the link below to view Ontario's Public Accounts for 2002-03. Schedule I (Revenues) clearly shows a CHST payment of $7,537 million for the fiscal year.

http://www.gov.on.ca/FIN/english/pacct/2003/03_are.htm#s1

Total payments from the Government of Canada were $8,894 million ... so there is no way $13.7 billion can be anywhere close to accurate.

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
That number is wrong. Plain and simple. Click the link below to view Ontario's Public Accounts for 2002-03. Schedule I (Revenues) clearly shows a CHST payment of $7,537 million for the fiscal year.

http://www.gov.on.ca/FIN/english/pacct/2003/03_are.htm#s1

Total payments from the Government of Canada were $8,894 million ... so there is no way $13.7 billion can be anywhere close to accurate.
Or maybe the Ontario government didn't include an important part of the CHST in their funny little report/graph?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Who really cares that the graph sez a little more gas was put into Health Care's engine? The point is there's not enough money in Health Care to maintain (let alone increase and improve) the current levels.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I'd also like to say this can be connected with the previous discussion on this board about how Ontario pays way more in taxes than we get back, and the same goes for the GTA in general. Transfer payments are building roads in Saskatchewan & Mantioba, but are leaving OHIP dangerously underfunded.

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bernnie Federko
I'd also like to say this can be connected with the previous discussion on this board about how Ontario pays way more in taxes than we get back, and the same goes for the GTA in general. Transfer payments are building roads in Saskatchewan & Mantioba, but are leaving OHIP dangerously underfunded.
Oh stop being such a pussy, we've got lots of cash for everyone.

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bernnie Federko
Where?
Well I do, your broke ass might not. You should get a weekend job, perhaps 40 hours of work per day isn't enough time for someone like you to generate sufficient resources. Try upping your hours to 50 or 60 and see how that works.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
Well I do, your broke ass might not. You should get a weekend job, perhaps 40 hours of work per day isn't enough time for someone like you to generate sufficient resources. Try upping your hours to 50 or 60 and see how that works.
I'm broke? Ha ha. "Generate Sufficient Resources", ha ha. I've enough "resources". Champion Diss, guy. See, I thought you were talking about how the province "has enough money for everyone". But I suppose if you wanted to be a bitch you could use your definition of "we". I don't care.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
If you think the budget was scary , just wait and see what the Liberals do with the " lack of power " issue in this province.
On the other hand , it is a fairly ugly complex issue , so I suspect they will do nothing until after the next blackout.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
I don't know what that means.
You failed to adequately respond to the graph posted by Adrian, then tried to step to me. Hence the term's "styled" and "flipped" used to describe how you were rebuked and then began going against Berrnie "3rd Person Singular" Federko.

Next question.

TRIBE Member
If you're running that low on material, I'm sure you could do a search on my user ID and find a post where I used "your" where I should have used "you're".

Happy hunting.