• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Looking for advice on New York City

salad

TRIBE Member
I have searched the archives and I still haven't found what I am looking for.

Can anyone with experience travelling to New York City provide any comments on which of the two areas below are a better location for a first time visitor? I've narrowed it down to two hotels that I like, but am unsure which is a more appropriate location to stay in.

OR

I am guessing I will go to a nightclub or two, and want to see a museum, as well as a play or two. I've never been to NY, so what, in your opinion, are the key things to see/do? I'll be there for about 4 or 5 days.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Your two options are fairly close to each other, I'd go with whatever price is better or whichever one is nicer, depending on what your more concerned with.

deevah

TRIBE Member
6 of 1, 1/2 a doz of the other
like hal said, either one will do. Pick the one that's better bang for buck
if you're ok w/ walking, do that instead of taking a cab

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I would go with Option A, all else being equal. It'll be right on the main (red) line of the subway (runs along Broadway) without having to change trains a bunch of times.

salad

TRIBE Member
Hal-9000 said:
Your two options are fairly close to each other, I'd go with whatever price is better or whichever one is nicer, depending on what your more concerned with.
They are essentially the same price. Option A has larger suites, and option B is more opulent. So I really would enjoy either of them.

I guess the question I am wrestling with is if there is more to do in the Times Square area, or is it better to be closer to Central Park and the shopping area?

Actually, a big decider is where are the better restaurants!?!

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Your difference is a 5 minute walk.

5th and E 60th is where the Plaza and former FAO Schwartz is and the South East enterance to central Park.... I am guessing Option B will be a little more expensive but honestly both are fine.

You will get sick of Times quickly.... 5th is where all the great shopping is, but Broadway is just off Times

salad

TRIBE Member
JEMZ said:
Your difference is a 5 minute walk.
Really? I am not sure I could walk 14 blocks in 5 minutes. Then again, I have no clue how big a NYC block is. If it really is a 5 minute difference, then that is no big deal.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Maybe a 10 minute walk, the point is you are going to NYC so you are going to walk so much your legs will ache regardless of where you stay.

Have fun btw... I love NY

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
JEMZ said:
Maybe a 10 minute walk, the point is you are going to NYC so you are going to walk so much your legs will ache regardless of where you stay.

Have fun btw... I love NY
yeah, the location difference, in this case, is negligable

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i would avoid times square if at all possible.
its garish and obnoxious and all the chock-a-block traffic around there adds alot of $$ to your cabfare or time to your commute by foot.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
i would avoid times square if at all possible.
its garish and obnoxious and all the chock-a-block traffic around there adds alot of $$ to your cabfare or time to your commute by foot.

I agree, you're right in the tourist trap with option A. In all honesty, there's lots of restos in option A, but you're better off finding a place in lower Manhattan that has better food and is 30% less the cost.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Once you're there, you won't care about what area. Trust me.
Both are fine.
They are both close to subways but 52 might save you a whole 40 cents in terms of cab fare.

Depends on what you're looking for.

A block can sometimes be a 1 minute walk. A few storefronts.

They're both equally busy... Btw, you won't even be in that area when you're there.. You're going to be going EVERYWHERE. Before you know it, you'll be taking a $10 for 50 blocks.

salad

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
Once you're there, you won't care about what area. Trust me.
Both are fine.
They are both close to subways but 52 might save you a whole 40 cents in terms of cab fare.

Depends on what you're looking for.

A block can sometimes be a 1 minute walk. A few storefronts.

They're both equally busy... Btw, you won't even be in that area when you're there.. You're going to be going EVERYWHERE. Before you know it, you'll be taking a $10 for 50 blocks.
Thanks for the tip. This seems to be the general consensus.

Now which location is probably the best to play a game of three card monty? ;)

deevah

TRIBE Member
salad said:
Really? I am not sure I could walk 14 blocks in 5 minutes. Then again, I have no clue how big a NYC block is. If it really is a 5 minute difference, then that is no big deal.

the avenues are bigger blocks - approx the distance b/tw say bloor and wellesley

the streets are much smaller, maybe richmond to adelaide

salad

TRIBE Member
Kazoo said:
Go with Option B. You want to live in opulence when you are in NYC.
I think that is what I have decided to do. It's closer to all the shopping too, so it will be easier to unload the bags. ;)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Um, I thought Times Square is 42 and Broadway?

He's 10 blocks up.. That should be far enough from the Light.

FUCk, I miss NYC. I am already planning my next excursion down.