• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Looking for a good place to get a ROTI

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Jonesy said:
WEIRD. i was just thinking about Roti and how I can't get any near my work (Forkin' REXDALE!)

now i want gandhi's. grrrr.
there's a bad ass roti shop at albion and islington. that's my old hood!

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
OK, in the last week I've been on a serious roti and other West Indian food craving. So I decided to check out some famous roti shops around the city. I went to 4 different places in the last week and here's how I rank them.

1) Bacchus Roti--I had the chicken roti

2) Ali's Roti--I had the goat roti

3) Pam's Caribbean Kitchen--I had the curry goat with rice dinner

4) The Real Jerk--I had the goat roti, but I bought beef and chicken rotis for some friends and tried them all.

For years, I've eaten all types of different rotis and GOAT ROTI will always be the BEST. YUMMY!!!:cool:

Absolutely loved the quick service of both Bacchus and Ali's Roti shop.:) Pam was the friendliest although rather slow, however the food was good. The Real Jerk, I'll always love because it's only a quick walk from me.

Papillon

TRIBE Member
STAY AWAY from the Ackee Tree on Spadina at Queen. Me and my bf thought we'd try it out this past weekend and their beef roti is DISGUSTING!

I am sticking with Planet Crystal on Church.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

why not

TRIBE Member
my love of roti has made it much easier to love living in parkdale.
since i moved i've been trying all of the local joints, and they all have something to offer.

Ali's is quite good, as is Bacchus for that west indian style.

i also enjoyed the goat i got from the Roti Lady. hers are cheap, but small, and the bones were left in. her daughter was hot too.

i used to love Vena's when i lived at bloor and landsdown, but haven't been for a while.

there's a sri lankan place near queen and landsdown that sell kothu roti meals, which is kind of like roti diced up into strips that look kind of like noodles. cheap, and good, but very different from 'normal' roti.

gandhi's used to be great, but even over the past few months, they've gone downhill, and are way too expensive, even if they are massive.

island foods is decent, but i haven't been for quite some time.

shit, i just remembered another place right near my new house, but all i've had there is doubles. can't remember the name of the place.

yum.

maybe i should start a thread just about doubles?
one of my favourite snacks of all time.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I need to find a got Roti shop in Mississauga near Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. There are a whole bunch near dundas and Hurontario. Does anyone one know if they are any good?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Ya, you can usually get places to add a bit of something else like spinach, eggplant or another meat by adding 75 cents. Order it enough and they don't charge. So I just tip well on, even on takeout.
Love family businesses.

lok

TRIBE Member
Fourthed on Trinistyles. Ive never been to Mofo's place yet without a Trinistyles Roti in hand. The doubles are also incredible.

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
I need to find a got Roti shop in Mississauga near Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. There are a whole bunch near dundas and Hurontario. Does anyone one know if they are any good?
Granny's on the east side of Hurontario just south of Dundas is quite good. There are a few good places in that area to eat (non roti related) as well.

why not

TRIBE Member
checked out yet another roti shop within 5 minutes of my new house - i think it's called "chicken plus" or something.
i got the goat.

it was pretty good, and relatively cheap (5.50).
the veg ones were really cheap (if i remember correctly).

i think it's the best value in the area, although there's still one more to check.

i love parkdale.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
Papillon said:
STAY AWAY from the Ackee Tree on Spadina at Queen. Me and my bf thought we'd try it out this past weekend and their beef roti is DISGUSTING!

I am sticking with Planet Crystal on Church.
I haven't had the Roti at Ackee there but their oxtail and their ackee and saltfish is quite delish. I think this place is awesome. One time the rice I had was a little dry but it was 3pm so I maybe I deserved it for getting lunch so late...

shrug.

s2ksimon

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
Either Jamaican style or East Indian style.

I've found one good place near Bathurst on Queen.

Are there any others where these things are to die for?
Matters what kind you want. Barra's Roti Hut in Mississauga Hwy 10 and Dundas is by far my personal favourite.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders