• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Looking at this computer any advice?

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Its going to cost $1100 just wondering if its a good deal or if I should spend a bit more for something extra. advice please. I want to use it for gaming and music production. Also want the ability to add upgrades in the future.

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+ BI 939 Pins 512K L2 Cache
Memory 1024MB (1GB)DDR400 PC3200 Memory (Major Brand)
Motherboard ASUS A8N SLI Mother Board
Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II
Optical Drive LG 16X 4163B DVD RW + Dual Layer (black)
SLI Mode Following 2 cards will run in SLI mode for optimal gaming experience with maximum FPS
SLI Video 1 XFX PVT42EUDE 6800XT 256MB Extreme DDR3 DUAL DVI PCIE
SLI Video 2 XFX PVT42EUDE 6800XT 256MB Extreme DDR3 DUAL DVI PCIE
Audio C-Media High Definition 8 Channel Audio CODEC
Network Card Onboard 10/100 Network Card
Case 2750 ATX Case (black)
Neon Light 2 Sunbeam Cold Cathod Neon Light (blue)
Power Supply 550W Thame Star Dual Fan Power Supply
Warranty 1 Year Parts 3 Years Labor Warranty & Life Time Toll Free Support
Upgrades Click here for customization and other configurations

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
do you know anything about computers? sorry I dont know you so your seal of approval isnt enough (yet). what do you like about it what would you upgrade?

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
i don't know much about the video card(s) listed there, but if you're going to spend that much on a rig, you would probably want an AGP video card, not a PCI express.. the rest of the hardware sounds good though

Stan

TRIBE Member
stir-fry said:
i don't know much about the video card(s) listed there, but if you're going to spend that much on a rig, you would probably want an AGP video card, not a PCI express.. the rest of the hardware sounds good though
:confused: Why would you go for AGP over PCI Express at this point???

AGP is being slowly phased out and PCI Express will be the main format for video cards in the very near future. The most powerful video cards currently are only on PCI express.

If you're buying a brand new computer at this point in time, going for AGP is a waste of money.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

randyval

TRIBE Member
Hipsterave said:
Its going to cost $1100 just wondering if its a good deal or if I should spend a bit more for something extra. advice please. I want to use it for gaming and music production. Also want the ability to add upgrades in the future.

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+ BI 939 Pins 512K L2 Cache
Memory 1024MB (1GB)DDR400 PC3200 Memory (Major Brand)
Motherboard ASUS A8N SLI Mother Board
Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II
Optical Drive LG 16X 4163B DVD RW + Dual Layer (black)
SLI Mode Following 2 cards will run in SLI mode for optimal gaming experience with maximum FPS
SLI Video 1 XFX PVT42EUDE 6800XT 256MB Extreme DDR3 DUAL DVI PCIE
SLI Video 2 XFX PVT42EUDE 6800XT 256MB Extreme DDR3 DUAL DVI PCIE
Audio C-Media High Definition 8 Channel Audio CODEC
Network Card Onboard 10/100 Network Card
Case 2750 ATX Case (black)
Neon Light 2 Sunbeam Cold Cathod Neon Light (blue)
Power Supply 550W Thame Star Dual Fan Power Supply
Warranty 1 Year Parts 3 Years Labor Warranty & Life Time Toll Free Support
Upgrades Click here for customization and other configurations
not bad at all.
you should do pretty good with the SLI setup (with the games that support it)
the 6800xt is not an extremly great card when compared to its GT counterpart, but with SLI it will give you a nice boost with most newer titles.
since it comes as a package i would say its a good price for a decent machine.
if you can however i would swap out the dual 6800xt for a single 7900xt or x1800/x1900 xt, these single cards can be had cheaper than the dual 6800xt and even with SLI enabled it is still roughly 30% slower than the single x1800xt/x1900xt/7900gt, around the same speed of a single 7800gt, whitch can be had cheap now a days.
hope this helps :)

randyval

TRIBE Member
stir-fry said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

agp is on its way out,(though nvidea has relesed a 7900agp iit costs $250 more than its pci-e counterpart, ATI has stopped making AGP all together) pci-e is the new standerd.

Last edited:

randyval

TRIBE Member
you might want to throw another 1024MB ram into the pile, the difference WILL be noticable, especialy with games like oblivion,quake4 or FEAR, or any recently relesed games.

randyval

TRIBE Member
i was wrong the 6800xt SLI IS SLOW, too much money and NOT very fast, here is a comparison with my maching against a VERY over clocked 6800xtSLI rig, close to your specs.

save your money, buy a single 7800gt (much faster than my card, and WAY faster than a stock 6800xtSLI setup, the 7800gt should get you 8500 points STOCK) and take the money you saved and get an extra gig of ram, then you will be set.

stock 6800xtSLI, you would be looking at no more than 4400 3dmark points (disregard the cpu points)

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
stir-fry said:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

this is like telling someone that macs are actually good for PC gaming.....

d.code

TRIBE Member
Im pretty sure you dont want an AGP.
im probably wrong here but i think the new DX10 cards and stuff are PCI only?
I had the exact same video card set up as you- but sold one of them because there was really no point. I was getting a frame rate boost - but not enough to really be noticeable.

ATI cards are much cheaper.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
shows you what i know.. it's been a long time since i bought hardware
:eek:
i thought agp was still the defacto standard

my bad

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Im planning on running programs like: Reason, acid, soundforge, etc
Games and possibly some work stuff (I have all the software I need to load on it including windows xp)

I just want to be sure this will be powerful enough to do all that and last me a few years. 3-5