• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Longgevity of TOs 1960-70s apt towers

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
So I've been living in a somewhat shabby building for over a year now and I'm falling in love with the place. Good location, refinished parquet floors, and big windows. Now that I'm under rent control, I'm thinking of staying put forever.

The only thing is that this building is nearly 60 years old. From what I read, the pluming should give up right about now. I suspect I have aluminum wire, too, and the outlets, not containing a real ground, still mysteriously all have three prongs.

At what point do these towers start falling apart? Are they repairable or do they have to come down?

Stop Bill C-10

praktik

TRIBE Member
They should be ok for about 50 years - but by then the Idiocracy should have eroded our building maintenance skills appreciably and may mean trouble for buildings that need a bit more tender loving care

idiocracy.jpg

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
If maintained better, the futuristic pod apartment in that movie would be fabulous. What a great, beautiful oval bay window...