• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Long Distance drives

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Anyone have any tricks for the long distance drives, I'm planning to do 18 hours at the wheel in about a week and its going to be a solo trip. Most of it during the night.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Karim

TRIBE Member
tina-meth-pipe.jpg

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Man, first and foremost make sure you know where you are going. This may sound silly but getting off track solo with 18 hours ahead of you is a recipe for disaster.

Make sure you have money in the budget in case you need to get a hotel. It is a bonus if you don't need one, but prepare just in case.

Make sure you have a spare tire in your trunk.

Make sure you have a blanket or sleeping bag in the car.

Other than that, have a good collection of music with you and enjoy singing to yourself.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Head north from S 86th St - go 50 m
2. 2. Turn right at Lakeview Dr - go 0.3 km
3. 3. Turn left at S 84th St - go 1.5 km
4. 4. Bear right into the I-80 E entry ramp - go 208 km
5. 5. Take the I-35/I-80 E exit 123B to Chicago/Minneapolis/Kansas City - go 2.2 km
6. 6. Merge into I-35 N - go 22 km
7. 7. Continue on I-80 E - go 287 km
8. 8. Bear right onto the I-80 E ramp to Chicago - go 271 km
9. 9. Continue on I-94 E - go 103 km
10. 10. Take the I-196 N exit 34 to Holland/GD Rapids - go 104 km
11. 11. Take the M-6 E exit 64 to Lansing - go 30 km
12. 12. Take the I-96 E ramp to Lansing - go 69 km
13. 13. Take the I-69 N exit 89 to Flint/Clare - go 193 km
14. 14. Take the I-69 E/I-94 E ramp to Canada - go 110 km
15. 15. Take the HWY-401 E/RTE-401 ramp to Toronto - go 1.2 km
16. 16. Merge into HWY-401 E - go 50 km
17. 17. Take the HWY-403 exit 235 to Brantford/Hamilton - go 1.2 km
18. 18. Merge into HWY-403 E - go 102 km
19. 19. Continue on QEW toward Toronto (DOWNTOWN) - go 18 km
20. 20. Continue on Gardiner Expy E toward Gardiner Expwy./Toronto - go 2.1 km
21. 21. Continue on Gardiner Expy Collectors E toward Kipling Ave./Islington Ave./Park Lawn Rd. - go 2.5 km
22. 22. Continue on Gardiner Expy E - go 2.0 km
23. 23. Continue on HWY-2 E - go 11 km
24. 24. Continue on Gardiner Expy E - go 0.5 km

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I also have about an 18 hour road trip next week. I am making a ton of cds and filling my mp3 player with music. I am hoping that is enough to keep me going. Luckily I have 2 other drivers to share the ride with.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Well, I'd say you know where you're going at least :)

edit:

after reading that I have a question. I drove to and from Chicago 1 weekend in december and it took me almost exactly 8 hours. Now I was coming from London, so add another 2 hours to the trip for T.O... are you sure 18 hours is accurate?

2. 2. Turn right at Lakeview Dr - go 0.3 km
3. 3. Turn left at S 84th St - go 1.5 km
4. 4. Bear right into the I-80 E entry ramp - go 208 km
5. 5. Take the I-35/I-80 E exit 123B to Chicago/Minneapolis/Kansas City - go 2.2 km
6. 6. Merge into I-35 N - go 22 km
7. 7. Continue on I-80 E - go 287 km

This is 4-5 hours maximum, no?

Last edited:

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
music, spare tire & jack, food, and lots and lots of water.

I've done 22 straight to FLorida, and i've also driven from Vancouver to Toronto solo and virtually non-stop. These are the things which helped the most IMO.

I also carried Jerry cans of fuel, so that i didn't have to stop as often at service centres (my truck is a pig on fuel when pulling a trailer)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I'm about 7-8 hours out of Chicago (west of it) so a total time of 16 hours should be possible following the speed limit and 0 wait at the canada border.

Being realistic I always speed so it should be down to 14 - 15 hours but the border is NEVER an easy crossing for me so I add 2 hours to explain my past and why I'm not a threat.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
Ditto- you're comin' home? for good?

Nah actually I'm checking in on my mom. That whole selling my car without telling me thing along with her no longer using english and her dutch starting to sound a little confused makes me want to double sheck that everything is alright. I totally missed the ball with my dad and I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
My only "trick" for long drives is to make a point of stopping at service stations even if you don't need to actually use the services. Sometimes just getting out and breaking the monotony of the road provides much needed mental refreshment when you're into the long haul.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
My only advice is don't be afraid to pull over and sleep.

I second that.

For me road trips are all about packed sandwiches, lots and lots of snacks, coffee(but not too much or you'll have to stop and pee lots) and music. Although sometimes I prefer talk radio while driving long distances..helps to keep you awake. I like CFRB 1010...good topics to keep your brain from falling asleep.

Good luck.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
JEMZ, It took us about 16 - 18 hours to drive from London to Chicago (If I remember correctly)

You had to have taken the long route then, because there is no way that should be the case. I picked up my wife and our 2 friends and were on the 402 by 5:00, we checked into our hotel in Chicago just after midnight.

And DM, beware the speed limit, I got a $110 speeding ticket 3 mintues from the Port Huron border crossing going 76 mph.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I'm a packed food kind of guy as well, I find you don't feel like death if you avoid the fast food. Although my car does have a radio the automatic antenna died and I hammered it down with a rubber mallet so I don't think its going to be an option

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Okay... I'm wrong :) It was 4 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I slept through a bunch of the drive. I just remember it being REALLY long because we drove through the night.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Okay... I'm wrong :) It was 4 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I slept through a bunch of the drive. I just remember it being REALLY long because we drove through the night.

Yeah I did the nighttime drive on the way there and it definitly seemed longer than the day drive on the way back.

Good luck with your mom btw DM

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
JEMZ said:
Good luck with your mom btw DM

thanks I'm sure she's fine but if not I want to be able to force the discussion with my 4 sisters. Last time by the time we all actually got togther and started to deal with things it was way to late.

I mean its not the first time she's forged my name and sold a car without telling me.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
It takes about 40 hours to drive from Waterloo to Edmonton, in a shitty van towing a rally car. Drove it straight through, just me and another guy.

Music, lots of coffee/red bull. I would run during the day for the most part if possible since it's easier on your eyes and concentration.

on your own is harder since you don't have anyone to talk to. If you break for food stops fairly regular you should be alright.

I used to run winter rallies as well where we'd drive 4.5 hours to Bancroft, run a 600km rally in the dark, then drive home after breakfast. Fun times :)