1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

london trouble

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mattt416, Jul 7, 2005.

1. mattt416

mattt416 TRIBE Member

serious trouble in london this morning ... not sounding too good.

2. mattt416

mattt416 TRIBE Member

3. keld

keld TRIBE Member

is it the terrorists?

4. mattt416

mattt416 TRIBE Member

sounds like it ... 20 casualties.

5. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

My friend in London says:

"yeah 3 bombs on busses and 2 on tubes so far... BBC radio news is carrying it... "

6. mattt416

mattt416 TRIBE Member

sky said 20 fatalities .......

7. chernobyl

chernobyl TRIBE Member

Wow... I was wondering why it was closed this morning. I had just chalked it up to the regular unreliability of the tube:/

8. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

From BBC:

Large numbers of casualties have been reported after at least six explosions on the Underground network and a double-decker bus in London.

9. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

Details are going to be sketchy for a while...

10. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

This is nuts.

11. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  12. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

13. Adam

Adam TRIBE Member

Terrible. :(

I'm just outside London at the moment, and my family almost decided to go into the city this morning to prepare to fly home tomorrow.

Also, the hostel I've stayed at 3 times and plan to stay at for a week at the end of July is on Tavistock Place, right where the double-decker exploded.

14. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

This is a tad too weird that this happened the day after London won the Olympic bid.

:(

I hope my friends in London are alright. They regularily use the Underground.

Cheers,
    J<

15. chernobyl

chernobyl TRIBE Member

ugh, my boyfriend had better email me soon :(

16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

coincidence about the olympic bid...

It takes longer than 24 hours to coordinate an attack like this.

17. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

A doctor tells Reuters there are at least 90 casualties at Aldgate station

18. Adam

Adam TRIBE Member

The G8 conference is likely the target; the Olympics are just a handy coincidence.

19. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

1126 The president of the European Parliament, Josep Borrell, blames terrorism for a "coordinated series of attacks" and "confirmed deaths"

1118 London's Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair tells the BBC he knows of "about six explosions", one on a bus and the others related to Underground stations. He says he believes the six affected areas are Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate, but says it is "still a confusing situation". He advises Londoners to "stay where you are - all of London's transport is currently disabled" - he refuses to confirm any fatalities

1055 A doctor tells Reuters there are at least 90 casualties at Aldgate station

1053 Home Secretary Charles Clarke makes a statement outside Downing Street about "dreadful incidents" causing "terrible injuries". He says Prime Minister Tony Blair has been informed and advises the public in London not to make unneccessary journeys

1049 Police say there are serious casualties, but no deaths are confirmed, Associated Press reports

1025 The BBC's Andrew Marr, with the prime minister in Gleneagles, says Number 10 is "still unsure" whether the explosions are a terrorist attack

1023British Transport Police confirm an explosion on a bus in Tavistock Place

1021 Scotland Yard reports "multiple explosions" in London, the Press Association reports

1014 An eyewitness tells PA that a bus has been ripped apart in an explosion in central London

1009 Witness Christina Lawrence, who was on a train leaving Kings Cross, tells BBC News 24: "There was a loud bang in the tunnel and the train just stopped and all of a sudden it was filled with black, gassy smoke and we couldn't breathe"

1002 Scotland Yard says it is dealing with a "major incident"

0940 British Transport Police say power surge incidents have occurred on the Underground at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations

0933London Underground reports "another incident at Edgware Road" station, PA reports

0933 Passengers are told that all London Underground services are being suspended because of a power fault across the network, PA reports

0924 British Transport Police say the incident was possibly caused by a collision between two trains, a power cut or a power cable exploding. Police report "walking wounded"

0915 Press Association reports emergency services called to London's Liverpool Street Station after reports of an explosion

0849 An incident on the Metropolitan Line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate is reported to British Transport Police

20. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

my whole family is travelling home from london today, I am freaking the fuck out.

21. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

I've heard from 2 of my 3 friends so far... still waiting on the third... so crazy...

22. chernobyl

chernobyl TRIBE Member

according to the timetable above, Will would have been off the tube by then phew

I was just msning with a friend and she said that it is crazy down at russell square (where she works)... there are no cabs running, the streets are packed and chaotic still and police are eveywhere down there

23. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

hasn't the media taught you anything? They're called "sleeper cells".

In all seriousness, this is fucked up, esp. the day after the city was celebrating the Olympic bids success. All the best as they sift through things.

24. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

my stepdad has a blackberry, do you think those are working? they apparently worked during 911 from NYC...the phones are totally fucked.

25. My hopes for the best outcomes those who are waiting to hear from loved ones/friends on this board. The British phone lines are all tied up right now, so please try and be patient.