• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Lol GOP is playing hard ball

acheron

TRIBE Member
LOL!!! Palin blames Bush Administration for GOP Defeat
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=74910&sectionid=3510203

Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin has blamed the Bush administration for Republican's defeat in the 2008 presidential vote.

"I think the Republican ticket represented too much of the status quo, too much of what had gone on in these last eight years," Palin said in an interview with the Anchorage Daily News at Wasilla Sunday afternoon, referring to the Bush presidency from 2000 to 2008.

Alaska Governor Palin made the remarks after former Republican candidate John McCain lost the November 4 election last week to President-elect Barack Obama.

Palin also criticized President George W. Bush's war policies in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"How did we run up a $10 trillion debt in a Republican administration, how have there been blunders with war strategy under a Republican administration," she asked.

When asked about her political future, the Alaska Governor did not rule out a run for president or vice president in 2012.

Earlier, a poll found out that 64% of Republicans would choose Palin as the GOP presidential nominee for the 2012 election.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
Earlier, a poll found out that 64% of Republicans would choose Palin as the GOP presidential nominee for the 2012 election.
Those Republicans haven't learned a damned thing from this election have they?

Colm

TRIBE Member
KickIT said:
Those Republicans haven't learned a damned thing from this election have they?
They've learned that John McCain, a 'moderate' Republican, does not energize the party base. So cancel your order for the Rudy '12 bumpersticker. They've also learned that McCain made a massive, massive mistake when he chose the architects of Bush's two presidential campaigns to lead his own. When your VP choice starts taking the headlines instead of your presidential candidate, the problems aren't with your VP, but with your campaign. See the subtle quieting of Joe Biden in the last weeks of the campaign as how a proper campaign is managed.

So Sarah Palin is unpalatable to most folks on the left - that's not her target audience and never will be. She will move toward the centre to attract Independents and that's about it. Whether or not she remains a political lame duck will be one of the more interesting side-stories to Obama's administration(s).

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
McCain made a massive, massive mistake when he chose the architects of Bush's two presidential campaigns to lead his own
Why didn't Obama use this as ammo during the campaign? After all, his key strategy was to tie McCain to Bush

Colm

TRIBE Member
He did, just not in as many words.

I'm certain I can recall several comments from Obama and Biden about how McCain's people were/are Bush's people. And how right they were!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
hmm I honestly don't remember him saying anything about it, and I followed the coverage pretty extensively. He certainly never named names (Rove etc).

Palin has about as much chance winning the Republican nomination in 2012 as Pat Robertson had in the 80's. While she energized the far right side that McCain was hoping and very tepidly courting for the last three or so years, there's no way they're going to hang their hopes on her unless there's a real dearth of candidates. I could see Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee getting the nomination before her easily.

She's proven herself to be too much of a loose cannon and prone to lousy judgment when it comes to her own image on a national scale.

basilisk

TRIBE Member
"Don't let me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is and even if it's cracked up a little bit, maybe I'll just plow right on through that and maybe prematurely plow through it, but don't let me miss an open door. And if there is an open door in '12 or four years later, and if it is something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I'll plow through that door," Palin said in an interview with Fox News Monday.

Colm

TRIBE Member
el presidente Highsteppa said:
Palin has about as much chance winning the Republican nomination in 2012 as Pat Robertson had in the 80's.
No to the Robertson comparison, yes to the chances of her running in 2012. Palin will probably do another term as governor and then avail herself to nomination in 2016.

Colm said:
No to the Robertson comparison, yes to the chances of her running in 2012. Palin will probably do another term as governor and then avail herself to nomination in 2016.
I don't know, I honestly get the sense that the Republicans are trying to move away from the far right and are examining how Obama conducted his campaign. They seem to be in a bit of an identity crisis, unsure if they should go the route of McCain's history in politics (a little more moderate) or Palin's (further right wing politics), and from the looks of things, I think that Palin will make a run for president, but I doubt she'll be the Republican nominee, especially after the bad press that dogged her and her inability to control her media image. That might be McCain's handlers fault by keeping her away from the media, but I think she has a role in that as well.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
basilisk said:
"Don't let me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is and even if it's cracked up a little bit, maybe I'll just plow right on through that and maybe prematurely plow through it, but don't let me miss an open door. And if there is an open door in '12 or four years later, and if it is something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I'll plow through that door," Palin said in an interview with Fox News Monday.
My god she just rambles on and on so much. The woman is incapable of just giving a short, clear answer. To anything!!

Her communication advisers (ie. her makeup artist and stylist) must want to shoot themselves every time she opens her mouth and sets off on another lengthy warble.

By the way, no way in hell she runs in 2012 or any other time. She is way too toxic, her brand too broken. That party is in tatters and they need a strong leader who appeals to much more than the crackhead base she allegedly "energized."

She is the Quayle of this millenium. Not a chance.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
To be honest I think the groundwork is good for Huckabee. He'll probably lose in a 2012 battle against Obama pending any major f*ck ups... but the reason I say this is not only is he socially conservative, he's reasonably socially conservative.

He's very diplomatic and not of the Tom Delay ilk even though their ideal platforms might share some planks. With American politics looking like it may tack towards a "moderate" center, Huckabee's moderation and conservative bonafides might look good to the base AND to moderates...

Colm

TRIBE Member
Well, regardless of Palin's ability to fix her brand or her toxicity, the GOP won't head the way of Beltway conservatism.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya, he has an authentic populism, and however flawed I may find his prescriptions, I get the feeling he honestly believes what he's saying as opposed to cynically exploiting a platform simply for election.

That's just my read on him, maybe he got me suckered in with his southern charm and he's really a reverse vampire - but I do think he's genuine.