• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Lockdown!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Any of you Tribe legal beagles care to comment on the legality of a "lockdown" situation in a public place?

What law allows this and how is it not an illegal detainment?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I first heard about it in schools, and now other public places. The short explanation is that they "lock down" the building/area and nobody is allowed in or out until the cops say it's OK.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Don't see why that would be unlawful if there's a good reason for it. Even Constitutionally protected rights can be derogated from time to time when justified. Suppose it depends on the circumstances.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I agree somewhat, but who decides what circumstances justify this?

Fortunately they're conditioning the kids in the public schools to treat this as "normal" and it's for their own good, so the decision in the future will become easier and easier.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Pretty sure the police make that call, essentially to control access to an area such as when a shooter is on the loose. There are no lockdown situations that would be considered unreasonable when considering the circumstances.

Is there something specific you're referring to?

acheron

TRIBE Member
seems to happen several times a year in the TDSB - usually when there's an active shooter or whatever in the immediate area. pretty obviously it's done for the protection of the children so they don't get caught in any crossfire.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
We never had lockdowns when we were kids. Don't remember anyone getting caught in any crossfire. We did try to blow up a .38 cartridge in the schoolyard with a rock though. Unsuccessfully!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders