• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Locating IP addresses?

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
If I gave you an IP address, would there be a way to get an address/location?

If so, how long would that take?

Muchos gracias!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
(ERROR) No such nick/channel: grandmother
(%) End of /whois list for: grandmother

Do you even have a grandmother????

:p

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
C:\> tracert grandma
Tracing route to grandma over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 10ms Timo
2 23ms His mom
3 65ms Grandma Sympatico

Wow. Eclectic was right.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
http://www.arin.net/

Do a whois search. You can also search the canadian registry. But I can't remember where it is. guess if you're using bell then you'd receive a different ip every time you logon. (not necessarily but you don't own the ip)

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
You can use the IP to locate the ISP.
Then if you know someone in the ISP you can get them to track down the customer information.

But dont' forget IPs can be spoofed :p

pr0nstar :D

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
On a secure network you can't.
There are few networks that are secure against DHCP attacks and gratuitous ARP attacks. In fact, I don't know of any manufacturer who has switches that defend against these vulnerabilities except for higher end Ciscos.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
^ For the record I was running a security Suite before with an ISP I helped build and design mostly because it was a flat network(switched). The only problem I ran into for the most part was when people either changed computers or tried to log more than one on with a hub or switch. This was good because we did not allow them to run more than one machine with out additional costs at the time. It was also a head ache when ever they changed a card or machine. In some of the financial Instatutions I have consulted for this is more just an issue of security and no machines should be on that network unless authorised.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
In some of the financial Instatutions I have consulted for this is more just an issue of security and no machines should be on that network unless authorised.
802.1x security works very well, but the initial investment is far too large for most, even financial institutions. If we can think of a cheaper way to secure their networks, we'd be rich. Let's think of something. :D

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
THAT'S SO AMAZING!

There are people who also KNOW MY TELEPHONE NUMBER, AND MY ADDRESS!

OH NO MY PRIVACY IS GONE!

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
THAT'S SO AMAZING!

There are people who also KNOW MY TELEPHONE NUMBER, AND MY ADDRESS!

OH NO MY PRIVACY IS GONE!
And you also like long walks at the park. The IP said so.

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
802.1x security works very well, but the initial investment is far too large for most, even financial institutions. If we can think of a cheaper way to secure their networks, we'd be rich. Let's think of something. :D
i'm getting 802.1x soon. (for work of course)

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by derek
i'm getting 802.1x soon. (for work of course)
Cool. Are you involved in deploying the entire infrastructure?

Tried to PM you couple weeks ago btw. You used to work at TDSB didn't you?