1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

lo-fi hip hop recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hip Hop Room' started by Sal De Ban, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

what the hell am i talking about? i am on about poorly produced, yet creative and lyrical GOLD. Anything floatin out there? I guess i just miss co flow.....i need to re-buy their main album
  2. Juan Love

Juan Love TRIBE Member

When someone says "lo-fi" first name that come into mind would be the Bomb Squad and the incredible production they did with Public Enemy. Their early stuff was remarkable as it followed with the then prevalent DIY aesthetic of hiphop (2 turntables and a microphone) however; Bomb Squad also embraced noise, MPC sampling and an array of pan filtering tricks and pitch distortions that blew my mind when I first got into them.

I still remember listening to them after making my head bad with the help of some "Sonny Chiba" and a decent pair of Sennheiser headphones. To me they were the Alec Empire of the hip hop world...long before Atari even sponsored that Teenage Riot in '95.

From there I really got into the releases on Warp, Ipecac and Matador during the mid 90's and Def Jux in the 2 double 00's. Producers like Oktopus (of Dalek fame), Prefuse 73, Blockhead, EL-P, Sensational (famous for using headphones for a mic input to get that crackly/high treble lo-fi sound on his vocals), Techno Animal (now known more for his work in dubstep and grime as The Bug) were standouts there.

As of late...I've been really captivated by some of the stuff coming out of the West Coast Rocks...the LA and San Fran-disco scene. This collective of dusty fingered crate diggers have been releasing some of the most interesting, obscure and challenging hip hop in the last decade. Artists like Gonjasufi, Lazer Sword, The Gaslamp Killer, Samiyam, Mainframe, Ghosts On Tape, Daedelus and the TE Lawrence of the whole 'effin show, the mighty Flying Lotus.

For a good taste of what's new...check into some of the names I have dropped above...especially Flying Lotus' "LA" LP or check out the debut LP from Gonjasufi, "A Sufi and a Killer" produced by West Coast Rocks mainstays Fly Lo, Gaslamp and Mainframe on Warp (WARP 172 CD)...

I warn you it's kind of left field on the hip hop spectrum but still effin' pretty rad and the whole thing sounds like its being played on an old dusty 45 with Gonjasufi's voice sounding at times like it was coming from another room or at other times like he's channeling a 70's era Iggy Pop.
  3. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Nice post, Juan Love.
  4. Juan Love

Juan Love TRIBE Member

There are a few more things I'd like to add.

Keep an ear out for Ras G - another West Coast Rocks alum. His 2008 "Beats of Mind" LP is also very reflective of just how much an influence the mighty J Dilla has had over the new generation of up and coming producers.

Also, a few months back, I had the pleasure of catching an Afro-Punk label showcase featuring "the man like" Saul Williams and Krak Attack, among others. This is another collective to watch for...not only for their genre smashing acts like Saul and Krak, but for one of the coolest hardcore bands I have heard in a while, The Bots. A two piece with an average age of about 14. (Early B.E.A.S.T.I.E Brothers fans should check out the video for "I Like Your Style")

However, I digress...onto a fun little exercise in connecting the musical dots. Krak Attack are the bees knees, hands down...with lazers. To paraphrse "The Voice" Michael Schiavello, there are in fact no real lesbians in this world...just women who have never met Emcee Tchaka Diallo and Beat-smith CX KiDTRONiK (think of a proto-crunk version of Futureman from Bela Fleck). See their Michael Jackson tribute video, "Beat It Up", to understand why.

Anyway, on to Saul Williams' 2007 LP, under the pseudonym of "Niggy Tardust". This album got a huge bump as it was co-produced by Trent (the man, the myth, the pretty hate machine) Reznor and released directly to the internet which as a fairly big deal for most of the talking heads in new-media at the time. It strongly references the trademark Bomb Squad production aesthetic...in particular on a track called "Tr(n)igger" that directly samples "Welcome To The Terrordome" by Public Enemy. Other production credits include, "Ikey" Owens from The Mars Volta and once again...CX KiDTRONiK; multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire...your favorite producers-favorite producer and now an official member of the newly reformed and reunited Atari...Teenage...Riot!! (RIP Carl Crack)

See what I did there?
  5. mixupmixup

mixupmixup TRIBE Member

This dude is ill. Some friends brought him down to the Elmo on friday. Crazy flo.

6. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

7. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

8. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

ya, I remember that.

sucked then, sucks harder now.

not too low fi, is it?
  9. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

10. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

Was it because someone brought an instrument along?
  11. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

Whatever different time, its all music.