• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

~*...living with your ex...*~

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
have you ever lived with your ex?

how long did you have to share the same space for, after you had broken up?

did you still share the same bed (no sex)?

were you still having sex?

would you ever do it again?

what did you learn from the experience?

i shared the same space with an ex for 4mos. we still slept in the same bed, but no sex.

if i had to i would do it again, but it makes things very difficult to break the ties when you are still living together.

the experience reminded me that in order for two people who were in a relationship to entertain the possibility of friendship, they have to love their lives completely without the other person it. that is an impossibility when you are both sharing the same space. that's the biggest lesson i learned from the experience.

- that six years without a partner guy

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
Fuck no. I run to mommy's house to save money every time then move out again 3 months later. I'd kill my ex if I ever had to live with him again.

joey

TRIBE Member
i lived with my ex for four months after we broke up.

really we never should have moved in together. but we already had a place and i was moving back to toronto. i guess we grew apart in the summer i was away.....

that's also when I became an alcholic as there was a bar right across the street from our place. I would come home form work and if the living room light was on id sit and drink in the bar until it went off then half hour later id go home.

ya, good times....

i totally learnt from it though...

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
I took full advantage of having friends and family in the city I could stay with. I broke up, walked out, and got the space I needed. The ex didn't have any family in the city so I continued to pay my part of the rent there until she could find somewhere else to live.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I lived with an ex for 11 months after we broke up... and we were still sharing a bed.

Then he moved out to go finish school in another city, and I moved into a 2 bdrm apmt because I couldn't afford a 1 bdrm on my own

So after he finished school and travelled europe for 4 months, he came back to Toronto and lived with me again in the 2nd bedroom. That lasted 5 months.

I would never do it again. I also learned that I would need to think *long and hard* before ever considering living with a bf again... and also that it takes a million times longer to get over someone if you're still living together after you break up or try to stay best friends after breaking up.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
this is one of the main reasons why i have been so reluctant in the past to live with my significant other.
the mere thought of having to live with an ex, directly after a break-up is so bad, i avoided it at all costs.

sugar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Michlerish
I would never do it again. I also learned that I would need to think *long and hard* before ever considering living with a bf again... and also that it takes a million times longer to get over someone if you're still living together after you break up or try to stay best friends after breaking up.
Totally agreed on all counts. The things you learn, eh?

We lived together for 3 months after breaking up. Shared the same bed.

Was gonna write more, but that seems wrong, so I'll leave it at that.

Chaos

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Michlerish
I lived with an ex for 11 months after we broke up... and we were still sharing a bed.
I'm curious what possessed you (and 420 dude as well) to sleep in the same be (with your ex) after breaking up; you had no couch, no possible other place to sleep?

To me, that's fucking insane, but i suppose if you had NO other options...meh.

c.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chaos
I'm curious what possessed you (and 420 dude as well) to sleep in the same be (with your ex) after breaking up; you had no couch, no possible other place to sleep?

To me, that's fucking insane, but i suppose if you had NO other options...meh.

c.
I would imagine sleeping on a couch for 11 months would be more uncomfortable than sleeping in the same bed as someone you had/have a relationship with.

It just depends on the couple and how the breakup was.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I lived with an ex for about 4-5 months after we broke up, having been together for about a year first. We got along so rediculously well and she was and still is an amazing girl so that it wasn't that much of a problem. I mean, I couldn't really bring new girls over, but aside from that I still enjoyed living with her during that time.

We had seperate rooms, so there weren't any tricky bed politics to work out, although we gave into the temptations of ex-sex on many occasions while I was living there and even after I moved out.

I think it would take quite a bit for me to move in with a girlfriend again. I was the one who ended our relationship because I needed some single time, and I think a lot of those feelings came from the impending "doom" ;) of moving in together - where the next obvious step is marriage - and I wasn't ready for that at 21 or whatever age I was at then.

Chaos

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I would imagine sleeping on a couch for 11 months would be more uncomfortable than sleeping in the same bed as someone you had/have a relationship with.

It just depends on the couple and how the breakup was.
Christ Almighty you can't possibly be serious. I'd buy a more comfortable couch before sleeping with some I'd just broken up with.

You wanna get poked like 15 times a night by your ex-boyfriend's meatstick?

Hey, i'm sure they had their reasons, but it still smacks of borderline insanity to me.

c.

p.s. by "sleeping with" I mean literally sleeping, not fucking, fyi.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
we lived together 1 month,

he slept on the couch,

i would never do it again,

we moved in together for the wrong reasons,

I'm not scared of moving in with someont, just want to make sure its for the right reasons

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Christ Almighty you can't possibly be serious.
I am serious.

Two mature people who had a relationship grounded in solid friendship can get over themselves enough to share a bed on a temporary basis.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Whatever... it all depends on the people, their relationship and how it ended.

I have can think of at least a couple of girls who would fall under the "ex-girlfriend" category who I still have a lot of respect for and who I'd have no problems sharing a bed with if I had to.

Not everyone has crazy drama-filled breakups where they hate their ex afterwards.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Jimmy James

TRIBE Member
Lived with my ex for four months after we broke up. She would stay between our house, her new boys house and her moms. When she would stay at our house we would sleep in the same bed. Some sex but that was a bad fucking idea.

The Break up was shit. It was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. At the time.

If I had it to do over I wouldn't. All that said we are now friends.

Snuffalupagus

TRIBE Member
I am serious.

Two mature people who had a relationship grounded in solid friendship can get over themselves enough to share a bed on a temporary basis.
I'd be trying to bang her most nights...

but I am not very mature.

Chaos

TRIBE Member
I am serious.

It was a facetious remark, I knew you were being serious.

That being said, no longer do I think it so much as being insane as totally fucking retarded.

Like I keep saying, I'm sure they had their reasons, as opposed to your Dr. Phil inspired blatherings. I'd like to hear from them, though only if that is their prerogative.

Temporary = 11 months. Not in my books.

c.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I am serious.

I'm not sure... my ex is one of my best freinds.. but sharing a bed was out of the question... someone is always thee dumpee, (no matter if people say it was mutual) and the random touches etc when you sleep... I'm a cuddler... I'd cuddle half asleep and then realize...oh shit... its just not a comfortable situation..

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Never lived with a girlfriend...I was *that* close to moving in with my ex back when I was still in college...but thank god the voice of reason entered my head, and that idea was quickly trashed...*phew*.