1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Living Rogers & Bell free

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Snuffy, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

So Rogers is sticking me with another $50 charge for going over 60 gigs. Has anyone tried Acanac? I see that they offer unlimited internet packages but I can't see how if they have to buy wholesale from Rogers.

Also, on that note, I've think I've figured out a way to live Rogers free:

1. HD Antenna for TV
    2. Dell Voice for phone
    3. Any internet provider other than Bell / Rogers

The only thing that's causing a snag is that I can't seem to find a suitable PVR alternative that will work with an antenna. I like my Saturday Night Live Sunday mornings.

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

You could torrent the episode while you sleep and watch it using a media PC in the morning.

3. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Snuffy, Windows 7 has Media Center which when setup with an ATSC tuner you can record your OTA channels. Check out the Geek forum and one of my recent posts for details.

Lobo

4. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

Teksavvy's good stuff and easy to move away from on Rogers for internet.

Lobo's right, the PVR thing is pretty nice(if there's OTA channels, there isn't here.) Any number of Hauppage tuners should do the trick..

So it's newsgroups, rdio and netflix for my media consumption(other than when I purchase the stuff).

5. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

I've been living ROgers cable free for almost 2 years with Teksavvy, HD antenna and newsgroups.

Can't see myself going back

6. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Welcome to Hulu plus.

7. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

I am on Acanac... I pay like $35 bucks, no download limit and I download like a motherf*cker because I have no cable or phone.

The customer service at Acanac isn't very good.... I wanted on the phone once for over two hours to speak to somebody but the forums work and in general, other than few outages that lasted a few hours, I haven't had any problems.

8. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

I still have bell phone (but i get unlimited even/weekends and 1gb download on my Android for $50 a month, so i'm okay being tied into them for this kind of deal)...but i will be completely done with Rogers as of Aug 4th.

Being a customer for 8 years, I thought they would have provided me more incentive to stay. But, i guess i stopped being so important to them when i cancelled my HD TV package, and TV altogether 2 months ago (removing my "VIP" Status).

They offered me basic HD cable and the box for $30, if I was to sign a contract. He tried to say 'it's like you're getting it for free!', because he'd reduce my internet price in half if i were to sign up to both packages for two years. I nearly laughed in his face. For someone who worked in retention, he really didn't get the concept of "I don't watch TV anymore. Anything i need to watch, I download." HE argued that the news sources are best on Cable TV. Really? Last time i checked, ever major news network had a free broadcast on their website.

When i called back two weeks later to cancel my cable and go to Teksavvy, they offered me 50% off my internet bill if I was to sign up for two years. Even at 50% off, the price per bandwidth is still more then Teksavvy. When i pointed that out, they had nothing to say.

it makes me wonder - do they not care if they lose customers to Teksavvy, since they're going to get a piece of the pie regardless?

9. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

10. mudbunny

mudbunny TRIBE Member

Good info
    We just bought a home and cable is paid to end of the month.
    We are going the HD route too

11. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I DID IT! I FINALLY DID IT!

Rogers free as of Friday! Hello teksavvvy and my new pretty antenna.

Rogers tried to bill me until Nov 16th then to Oct 16th for the cancellation fee then I said!

Transfer me to your OMBUDSMAN or give me their phone number.

On hold for 10minutes. She comes back and tells me they can cancel my Rogers effective Friday and prorate the bill manually. I told her all this at the start. If she listened to me she would have saved herself some time and energy. Anyway I told her that in the end it wasn't her fault, its how she is trained and I was more upset at that and her Manager. She gave me the managers name quite easily and number and now to write one last letter (just to make me feel better)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I have left Bell for home phone (finally) and want to leave Rogers for cable, but want my specialty channels there, at my fingertips, without having to download anything. I guess I'm stuck...

13. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I'm w/ teksavvy for inets and telus for phone and portable wifi, I have no TV and am very satisfied with my bell/rogers free living.

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

HD OTA antenna
    Primus home phone and long distance
    Teksavvy Cable
    Boxee Box with 2gig HD, adapter for antenna signal
    Netflix

I still use bell mo for my cellphone but its a sweet corporate plan I get through my co. Otherwise I'd probably go with wind or someone..

15. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

What benefits do you get out of the boxee antenna adapter? I'm thinking of going this route...

Do you have any tech in place for PVR'ing shows?

16. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

17. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

Man, am I the only one!?!? I love my rogers setup. I get all the channels I want, download like crazy, PVR like crazy, watch live sports and have never had an issue with their customer service, all easy as pie.

18. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I added the boxee antenna to reduce my remote usage. The boxee is essentially my hub, now, so it made sense to not have to switch to the television input if it could be avoided.

I get my downloaded movies from usenet via giganews, using sabdnzb to manage queuing and post-processing, and the AWESOME sickbeard web app to manage downloading television shows as new episodes appear.

Usenet is a little more technical than some would prefer, but using a service like nzbmatrix or one of the other established usenet indexes makes it easy. Paying for giganews is amortized by not having to pay for rogers or bell. I'm saving $1500 or more a year by not using them, so I can easily toss some of those savings into paying for a decent usenet provider.

19. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

+1 but with XBMC, and not Boxee.

20. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

lol reminds me of my experience.

I cancelled my rogers over two months ago, and was supposed to have no rogers service, switched over to Teksavvy as of Aug 5th. They told me the tech would pick up my rented modem.

I had a busy month, and never returned the modem. Come September, they never credited me for the month of august, and even tried to charge me for all of September.

I called and was like...WTF? I CANCELLED the service. How can you continue to charge me for a service i cancelled? They said it was because i didn't bring the modem back.

So, i made a fuss, and said they were supposed to pick it up. That i'll happily pay the rental fee, but won't pay for a service i cancelled.

21. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Damn, I wish I didn't care about sports so much cuz I'd be all over this.

22. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Yeah, it's too bad that Major Networks have such deals with Broadcasting.

During the Olympics, i was watching RAW feeds (no comentary, no commercials) all in HD. Seeing that kind of technology with other sports would be cool, but would never happen

23. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

24. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

25. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Word.

The sports feed sites are really only good in a pinch. You have to shop around to find a good feed. Then hope they don't shut it down and force you to search in the middle of the game for another one.