• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

living in england doesn't mean you're english

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i hate it when someone i know moves to england for a while and then starts talking in english slang like they're not actually from toronto.

i get it, they speak differently there, no need to show how english you are by emailing me stuff talking about how your "flatmates" are calling you a "skint". fucking retards!

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i also hate this, but i know that it's hard to not pick up on the slang and mannerisms and speech patterns of the people who you spend time with.

EDIT: regardless, WANKERS, the lot of 'em.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
LOL...I hear what you're saying but sometimes you can't help but pick things up. You seriously don't even know you're doing it! I'm not talking about a full on accent or anything, but words here and there. You catch yourself every once in a while. My ex did this all the time as he's British

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
i hate it when someone i know moves to england for a while and then starts talking in english slang like they're not actually from toronto.

i get it, they speak differently there, no need to show how english you are by emailing me stuff talking about how your "flatmates" are calling you a "skint". fucking retards!
why would their roommates call them a 'broke'?

i'm scared this is gonna happen to me when i move to england. i also hope i don't pick up a fake brit accent and start being all snotty (more than i am now) and jargon-y.

'daaaaahling, i tried calling you on your mobile to tell you something ott - i overheard a neddie taking the piss out of you while i was in line for the loo, sorry i didna reach you, we should meet for a pint sometime. cheers, bye!'

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: living in england doesn't mean you're english

Originally posted by Pyrovitae

'daaaaahling, i tried calling you on your mobile to tell you something ott - i overheard a neddie taking the piss out of you while i was in line for the loo, sorry i didna reach you, we should meet for a pint sometime. cheers, bye!'
Stifflers Mom. ;)

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i don't know the words mean, i was just using an example.

why couldn't someone just say roomate? if you've been saying roomate all your life why the need to change the way you speak and announce it to all of your friends. i dread having to listen to years of "when i was in the uk blah blah blah....."

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Hahaha...I have a friend who moved back almost a year ago after a 3-year stint in England...she says things like "mobile" instead of "cell" and "lay-in" instead of "sleep in" (that one I'd never heard so it through me for a loop...I thought it was a sex thing). And instead of her voice going up when she asks a question, it goes down...very British. Drives me nuts but I can forgive her...also her dad is a Brit so that was probably an influence...though she never sounded like this for the first 20 or so years of our lives. ;)

I find when I go there I try to enunciate more so that it doesn't seem like I mumble.

~jen

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
Hahaha...I have a friend who moved back almost a year ago after a 3-year stint in England...she says things like "mobile" instead of "cell" and "lay-in" instead of "sleep in" (that one I'd never heard so it through me for a loop...I thought it was a sex thing). And instead of her voice going up when she asks a question, it goes down...very British. Drives me nuts but I can forgive her...also
~jen
yeah, 3 years is definitely an acceptable length of time for that to kick in.

Same thing has happened to me here...i still belt out the Brit talk but i use tons of Canadian/North American slang...

one of the first things i started saying was 'man'... and 'guy' kicked in pretty quickly cuz everyone said it when i moved here. I've managed to stop saying 'guy' thankfully,

p.s. hey Jen :)

swilly

TRIBE Member

Its hard not too though especailly when you live somewhere for a bit and people dont understand you, if you say north american words. Also people laff when you say words such as

candy as opposed to sweets
trunk as opposed to boot
quick brewskis= swifties
call = ring up
mobile= cell phone

I hated it when people would laff all the time at me and my north american accent. same thing with the words i used. It always resulted in everyone in the whole room asking me to say
" this one time at band camp i ..... " well you get the idea.
It really irked me so you adopt the language.
That and several times at the bar guys would hassle me becaue they thought i was an american girls as well. Sad as it is, it is in many canadians patriots living abroad interest to adopt the local slang and distance ourselves from north american words.
however, after the mind gets used to using such words it take a while for them cease being in the vocabulary.

Also on this point many people in this country use words from america that are dervied from ethier the american ghetto or the valley of california. One could argue that they have become commonly used due to the influence of music or tv.

However, i think that there is a greater degree of legitimacy in a persons adoption of another states slang based on living there and interaction with that nation and perhaps forced adoption as can be the case, as opposed to imitating something you see on tv.

So word up guy check this shit out

Like whatever

its all the same. we just see american slang as acceptable and british slang as not.

I would argue that your friends continued british slang usage has a greater degree of valdity than about 90 percent of the suburban ganstas and wannabe valley girls i see in toronto. who use words that have been dervied from an electronic devise as opposed to cultural interaction.

So cheers to that mate
swilly

Last edited:

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i don't know if it's the pot and booze talking but that's the first time i've ever understood one of your posts!

i'm scared.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
when u go over there you have to change how you talk to a certain degree.

pants=trousers.
chips=crisps
fries=chips
gas=petrol
subway=tube

and so on.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i don't know if it's the pot and booze talking but that's the first time i've ever understood one of your posts!

i'm scared.
inebriation is a key component to understanding Swilly.

This little dude visited TO from our office in england and he nearly shat himself everytime I told him which club had a dress code and kept asking if he was wearing his smart (dress) pants.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rentboy
when u go over there you have to change how you talk to a certain degree.

pants=trousers.
chips=crisps
fries=chips
gas=petrol
subway=tube

and so on.
ya especailly on the pants one. People give you wierd looks when you are shopping and say you would to try on some new pants or you tell them you went for a piss in the bathroom

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i understand having to change the way you talk. it just seems that your writing in emails would be your normal tone. most people write much more formally than they speak(ok, i don't really know that, and i don't do it either), so the words which you are used to writing would still come out.

i'm just sick of the attitude that comes out of these people. "i'm having so much fun acting like an english person and working at starbucks! this place sure beats canada!." you come from scarborough, enough with the british shit.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
Shitpole is notorious for this.

Must be the effects of posting on the GU board.

He actually posted "gurn" last week.

Bleedin' nuisance.
hahaha gurn
i hate that word so ugly. Same as snog, it really takes away from the romance of two peoples lips pressing when you give it a term such as snogging. Stupid brits

swilly

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i understand having to change the way you talk. it just seems that your writing in emails would be your normal tone. most people write much more formally than they speak(ok, i don't really know that, and i don't do it either), so the words which you are used to writing would still come out.

i'm just sick of the attitude that comes out of these people. "i'm having so much fun acting like an english person and working at starbucks! this place sure beats canada!." you come from scarborough, enough with the british shit.
you should respond with a British dialect in your emails ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders