• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Living in a small town or rural area

diablo

TRIBE Member
Has anyone on here moved from a large city to a small town or scenic/rural area (where you weren't originally from) by choice? What prompted the move? What are/were the pros and cons?

I personally couldn't see myself leaving the city for the sticks just yet, but when I hear certain stories about people moving to some beautiful yet out-of-the-way locale, I often feel a twinge of...not jealousy but...curiosity. I love the outdoors (snowboarding, swimming, biking, etc), but have to wonder about the tradeoffs involved (distance from family, lack of things to do, opportunities/experiances for children).

So yeah...share your experiences.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Eventually I will do this once I can afford to build my off-the-grid house. If I can still get good broadband out there, I dont even have to wait for retirement.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
depends where you live, but i'd say that there's more shit for kids to do in small towns because their parents don't have to drive them everywhere/supervise them constantly.

also, learn to love weed because small towns in the winter are pretty quiet.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Yup. We moved from Toronto to a little house on an 11-acre horse farm surrounded by a 100+ acre tree farm. We loved the space, nature, silence, lack of neighbours, trees, animals. There were a few cons though - you have to drive everywhere. Be prepared for a run out for milk to take 30 minutes. You can not get delivery food - LOL. We had only dial-up internet, therefore no downloading. As we only had one car at the time which steve took to work, when I was on mat leave there were times I felt a bit lonely as I was essentially trapped there. Nothing was walking distance with a baby, including the neighbours.

When we decided to buy a place we split the difference and moved to a "small city" (Barrie). A lot of this decision was based on having the girls, and being close to schools, friends and activities for them. However, we loved it there and we would definitely consider buying a rural home in the future.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I did it, but not by choice. there are no shoe stores or any good stores for that matter. everyone listens to rock or some equally shit music. i havent heard house or jungle in 2 years. i do nothing... ever. i hate winter activities. everyone is ugly, knocked up young, or if they are semi normal they are married by our age with kids. everyone has a DIU. everyone has to drive to toronto if they want anything (ie-clothes) or if they want to do anything good. chinese food is as exotic as it gets. everyone is white. the coke and other chemicals are shit. its hard to make friends cause its very high school cliquey and everyone knows everyone and your the big outsider. and my town has 18 000 people which isnt even THAT small.
married with kids may be a different story but as a single person DONT DO IT!!! and personally I would never subject my children to be raised in such a boring unstimulating place.

Last edited:

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
the big outsider..

being the big outsider seems like a lot of fun. you can be all mysterious with exciting new ideas from the big world and nobody can ever call you on your stories. you can even get rumors going that you're an ex hitman or mob informant or something.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
The one thing I hated (more than everyone listening to garbage Top 40) was the fucking gossip. Everyone in small towns wants to know your business.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
^you could if you could actually get people to talk to you. instead you stand alone in the bar and everyone stares at you like youre an alien and wants nothing to do with you. plus everyone is a fucking loser anyway and you wont want to know them.
I think they are fine places for old people, but not for us young hipsters.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
ask subsonic pete and tina about moving from TO to small towns, they've lived in a couple now and could give some insight into it.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
The one thing I hated (more than everyone listening to garbage Top 40) was the fucking gossip. Everyone in small towns wants to know your business.
so true, i was hanging out with this loser kid briefly, within a week my mother new everything about him and his family based on describing his house to someone after she dropped me off one time.
a crack head guy cashed fake cheques in his bank account (and i aint talking thousands, like hundreds) once - it was on the front page news of the paper.... do you know how much bullshit stuff like that i did in my account.....could you imagine if that making the 6oclock news in toronto :rolleyes:.
I cant do anything fun here, cause it would all get back to mother or my work.

d.code

TRIBE Member
I used to work on a farm in the summers in my teen years.

It sucked. I got queer bashed (probably because I was wearing phat pants.... lol). Worst expierence ever. Mind you I was 15-16-17

Its also easy to bang chicks out there.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I'm a big proponent of small towns now. :)

I grew up in London (300,000+ people), lived in Toronto for 7 years, and then moved first to Jasper (5,500), then to Revelstoke (8,000) where I plan on staying for a long time.

Absolutely the best decisions of my life. When I first moved to Toronto I thought that I'd never leave the big city, but once I got accustomed to life in a small town I don't think I'll ever go back. As much as I love seeing all my old friends on my trips back home, I don't miss living in a big city at all.

There are definitely positives and negatives to both, and it depends quite a bit on what sort of aspects of your lifestyle that you value most. It's not as easy if you've got a really specific career for example, or you own property/have family that depend on you. If you're really big on the party scene, you likewise won't be as impressed with having to travel hours to see big names, but it's all give and take.

With all that said though, I can't even tell you how much my quality of life has improved since moving out to the mountains.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I did it, but not by choice. there are no shoe stores or any good stores for that matter. everyone listens to rock or some equally shit music. i havent heard house or jungle in 2 years. i do nothing... ever. i hate winter activities. everyone is ugly, knocked up young, or if they are semi normal they are married by our age with kids. everyone has a DIU. everyone has to drive to toronto if they want anything (ie-clothes) or if they want to do anything good. chinese food is as exotic as it gets. everyone is white. the coke and other chemicals are shit. its hard to make friends cause its very high school cliquey and everyone knows everyone and your the big outsider. and my town has 18 000 people which isnt even THAT small.
married with kids may be a different story but as a single person DONT DO IT!!! and personally I would never subject my children to be raised in such a boring unstimulating place.

could not have said it better myself.

[jai]

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
To elaborate on some positives and negatives...

Pros:
- No waiting in lines for shit, no mass amounts of people everywhere. Everyday errands are not the hassle they used to be.
- Saying hey/making small talk to random people you pass by on the street (for some reason this is one of my favourite things about small towns).
- Everything in town is real close by, either within walking/biking distance or a 10-minute drive tops.
- No fucking traffic.
- A real sense of community. There's quite a bit of anonymity in the city, and you can be pretty sure for example that if you flip some guy off in your car that you're never gonna see him again. I find myself much less likely to be rude to strangers now since you never know where you'll run into them.
- The ability to get out into nature within minutes of home. No driving for 45 minutes just to get to the city limits.
- Winters are AWESOME instead of being cold and crappy.

Cons:
- Have to do out-of-town shopping trips for stuff that's not available nearby.
- Nights with good music at the clubs/bars here are few and far between. Often have to travel out of town for big party nights.
- Employment opportunities are more limited.
- Gossip, lack of anonymity (hasn't really affected me negatively but it can be a factor for some people).
- Trickier to be single in a small town due to the smaller community.
- Food options aren't nearly as awesome and varied as a place like Toronto.

Keep in mind that this is from the perspective of a rad little mountain town with lots of cool shit to do and a very active community. I don't think I'd be nearly as happy living in some rural farming town in Ontario or the middle of Alberta.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Being able to have friendly talk to strangers/people showing courtesies (like letting you cross the road) is something I really miss. I literally stop and laugh at least once a day about how clueless/self-absorbed some city people can be. Dehumanized.

orchid

TRIBE Member
this is something i have been thinking about lately too -- that it would be nice to live somewhere smaller once we have kids, where there's a lot more nature and a lot less concrete. i know my guy really doesn't want to leave toronto though, and i would probably feel the same way if i were to think about it realistically like he has (and not dreamily, like i have). LOL and so i really doubt we will. i'd be content enough to stay here, but i just don't know what kind of house we could ever afford here. of course, living in a smaller town or city, we wouldn't make the kind of $$$ we make here. the standard catch 22.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Being able to have friendly talk to strangers/people showing courtesies (like letting you cross the road) is something I really miss. I literally stop and laugh at least once a day about how clueless/self-absorbed some city people can be. Dehumanized.
LOL. Dude, you're heading to Korea. You're in for a huge shock if those are the things you hate about a big city. Seoul is like Toronto, except X5 in size, take out the diversity, up the sense of isolation, the mindless consumption and wealth flashing is off the charts, and to top it off, your favourite: a huge American military base in the middle of town from which GI's flood every weekend mixing their puke on the street with the 18 hour workday suits. You'll learn to love this place.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

OTIS

TRIBE Member
You think that will make it better? 500,000, the Mississauga of Seoul?

Anyhow. You either opt in to a city or you don't. There are plenty of things you can do to foster a sense of community in Toronto. You may need to work a little harder compared to a small town where it tends to be automatic but cities aren't as cold and callous as the cliche tends to instruct. Especially Toronto.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
It's about as far from Seoul as you can get.

I have a lot of friends here, it's all the community I need. I appreciate Toronto a lot more than the last time I left, but it's still weak in community and manner than say, St. John's.

mingster

TRIBE Member
my husband and i often go over making this decision (staying in the city vs. moving out to a small town). both of his siblings live in a small town, and there's lots of things i like about it. being able to afford lots of space and quiet would be great, but i'm not sure that i'm ready to leave the city, and being close to our friends. also the kind of exposure to culture and diversity that you get in toronto is so important to me. and even when it comes to the question of raising kids, do i want them to have space and the sense of community of a small town? or the culture and worldliness of a big city? i don't really enjoy nightlife much anymore, but still, will we get bored living in a small town?

needless to say, we haven't made any forever decisions yet. we will probably stay in the city for a while longer and reassess in a few years.

but damn, i would love a pretty, little cottage house with a massive yard and a wood pile, and a garden.