• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

living in a condo beside the GARBAGE CHUTE?

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
friend of mine is looking at a condo... only problem is... his unit would share a wall with the garbage chute

it attaches to the wall of the den ,at the front of the unit.

does anyone live near their garbge chute ? how loud is it?

i am thinking this must be a common occurance if a condo did it... why not put the stupid thing near the elevator.

also there is only one chute on the floor. i guess that is normal.

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
oh yeah he asked for my advice regarding this issue, and i thought that i should ask the tribe message board because i think a lot of you live in condos?

any advice would be really appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
I actually live in a garbage chute next to a condo and wouldn't reccommend it. Condo people have no respect for my living space. They make all kinds of noise and throw their garbage into my house.

vinder

TRIBE Member
i wouldn't personally do it, they are loud. and even though there are often rules for when you can dump (8am-10pm) often people don't listen and you'll get loud crashing noises at weird hours.

those units are usually discounted due to that.

starr

TRIBE Member
usually the garbage chute is right near the elevator

i'd imagine it'd be noisy

it's likely also why that suite is slightly less (maybe $1000) than another suite on the floor

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Caz

TRIBE Member
Should'nt be an issue if it's a load bearing wall. they are usually silly thick so I doubt it will be a disturbance. Plus, his close proximity makes it great for hooker disposal!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I'm in an apartment building living directly across the hall from the garbage chute and I never hear it, but there is a sign there telling people not to throw shit out between 11 pm and 8 am because of the noise for the person living right beside it.

Snuffalupagus

TRIBE Member
The noise isnt bad.. but whenever I open the door to my garbage chute it stinks to high heaven. Vomit like..

I would be more concerned about possible drifting stink than the odd crash boom bang.

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
i would assume that there is a unit on all floors with the garbage chute beside it... maybe he could join forces with them to not let people dump at certain times.

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Can your friend sit in the condo while you throw bricks down the garbage chute to see how loud it is?

not an option, condo is being built right now, to be ready in december...

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
Snuffalupagus said:
The noise isnt bad.. but whenever I open the door to my garbage chute it stinks to high heaven. Vomit like..

I would be more concerned about possible drifting stink than the odd crash boom bang.
the garbage chute is in a small room. is that going to make a difference?

Snuffalupagus

TRIBE Member
Dunno! Mine is a small room too..as soon as I open the door its nasty.
I am far from the cute and I never hear anything I do however enjoy throwing garbage down there. Its like throwing pennies in a well. Bang, crash, dong, plink!!

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
Snuffalupagus said:
Dunno! Mine is a small room too..as soon as I open the door its nasty.
I am far from the cute and I never hear anything I do however enjoy throwing garbage down there. Its like throwing pennies in a well. Bang, crash, dong, plink!!

do you live in a condo or apt ?

i lived in a condo with a garbage chute and the room wasnt too smelly.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
smell shouldn't be a problem if building maintenance is good. at my mom's condo it actually smells like flowers when you open the door to throw out the garbage...i was impressed!

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
I'd have to say this totally depends on the quality of the building as a whole, and you can't know that.

My friend has been in two condos right next to one another. Both only a few years old. At one the garbage chute was hella noisey. I can't imagine it didnt' disturb the pepole living next to it. At his current one, the chute is on a fancy retractor dealy so it's silent. Once the door closes on the chut it releases the garbage. All told, a very pleasant, nice smelling and quiet process.

That generally speaks to the quality of the buildings as a whole. His first condo was cheap wood flooring and arborite counters and flimsy silver appliances. His current one is proper hardwood floors and granite counters, real tiles, and expensive appliances (and the current one is the cheaper, larger, unit).

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
fear_of_fours said:
does anyone know what kinda walls are used to make a chute?[/QUUOTE]

poured concrete.

and it should be pretty well insulated against noise and smell free - especially if its a new condo project. it wont be einerly silent but it ought not be a bother.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
on a serious note i don't see this being a problem unless the bedroom is backing onto the chute, or you have idiots on your floor who just put their garbage in the room and leave it there because they don't understand what a garbage chute is for. I mean really, are you gonna be in the den needing absolute peace and quiet alot?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
poured concrete.

and it should be pretty well insulated against noise and smell free - especially if its a new condo project. it wont be entirely silent but it ought not be a bother.
True that. Its bad design not to have a chute in a central area (like the elevators.)

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
It's not really a big issue. Just put up an "Out of Order" sign nightly and all will be good.