• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Liquid Funk?

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
I was just wondering if someone could explain Liquid Funk to me.

Is this a totally new style, or is it just a new name for a style that's been evolving for years.

I know around 98 there were tracks coming out where the bass almost sounded like it was under-water, or at least that's how we described it. I think it had to do with a lot of chorus.

But anyway, can I get some info please?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
i've always viewed it as the "light d&b sound". jazzy, lots of vocals (musical vocals, not ragga vocals), more straightforward relaxed d&b drum patterns...

i thought grooveriders started coining the term on his show a couple years back, when the sound started becoming more popular.
but of course, like anything, it's a sound that's been there, evolving, for much longer than that. it was just harder to find, and didn't have a trendy name tacked on to it :)

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
So it doesn't have the dark edge to it then?

Does that track "Twist it, stomp it, bouce it, shake it" fall into this category?

Excuse my ignorance, but that's the last Drum N' Bass track I've purchased in the past year or two.

Can you give me any other examples?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
"Twist it, stomp it, bouce it, shake it" fall into this category?

"Shake Your Body"...IMO, only the Future Cut remix is liquid...but it's mostly just cheesy crap...T-Power's "Police State" days are long gone :(

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by CIRCE (Sir C)
"Shake Your Body"...IMO, only the Future Cut remix is liquid...but it's mostly just cheesy crap...T-Power's "Police State" days are long gone :(

I'm not sure what mix I have, it's a single.
My wife LOVES that track, cheesy or not.

I hope it's not the chessy one cause it would hurt my ego.
:D

Thanks for the info.

T

TRIBE Member
check out "Sex In teh City" at the HOoch on Saturdays.

easily one of the best in the city for teh smooth grown and sexy DnB sounds.

sweetsensirecords

TRIBE Promoter
I was talking to Chase about this:

He likes to call it simply Soulful Drum'n'bass.

Liquid Funk I think is a term coined by Fabio.

It's become the catch all term for anything Jazzy, Soulful, Funky, Vocally, (or dubby vocals). - atmospheric dnb can be liquid as well.

Basically anything not HARD, Jump Up, Ragga, dark, or techy.

But with dnb, the boundaries can be blurred. Calibre uses ragga samples. Amens can be used.

Oh any kind of house samples or breakdowns and latin dnb falls under the liquid funk banner as well.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by rprlaw
I was talking to Chase about this:

He likes to call it simply Soulful Drum'n'bass.

Liquid Funk I think is a term coined by Fabio.

It's become the catch all term for anything Jazzy, Soulful, Funky, Vocally, (or dubby vocals). - atmospheric dnb can be liquid as well.

Basically anything not HARD, Jump Up, Ragga, dark, or techy.

But with dnb, the boundaries can be blurred. Calibre uses ragga samples. Amens can be used.

Oh any kind of house samples or breakdowns and latin dnb falls under the liquid funk banner as well.

Thanks for the post.
To be honest, Liquid Funk is not what I was expecting it to be.

None the less, I will give er a listen.