1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Lindsay Lohan sues E*Trade

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by praktik, Mar 9, 2010.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Lohan sues E*Trade over ‘milkaholic’ baby
    Actress claims character was based off of her, demands company pull ad

NEW YORK - The actress Lindsay Lohan has sued E*Trade Financial Corp for $100 million, saying a "milkaholic" baby girl who appeared in a recent commercial was modeled after her.

Lohan alleged that the online brokerage's use of the girl, also named Lindsay, in the ad improperly invoked her "likeness, name, characterization, and personality" without permission, violating her right of privacy.

In her lawsuit filed Monday in a Nassau County, New York court, the 23-year-old actress sought $50 million of compensatory damages and $50 million of exemplary damages. She also demanded that E*Trade stop running the ad and turn over all copies to her.

Lohan's lawyer Stephanie Ovadia did not return requests for a comment. An E*Trade spokeswoman declined to comment, saying the New York-based company had not reviewed the complaint.

The New York Post reported the lawsuit earlier Tuesday. It said Ovadia maintained that Lohan has the same "single-name" recognition as celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and Madonna.

E*Trade's ad was shown in the Feb. 7 Super Bowl, which according to Nielsen media drew about 106.5 million American viewers, a record for a U.S. television program. It is part of a series of ads featuring babies who play the markets.

In the ad, a baby boy apologizes to his girlfriend through a video chat for not calling her the night before because he was on E*Trade.

The camera switches to the girl, who asks suspiciously, "And that milkaholic Lindsay wasn't over?"

It then switches back to the boy, who uneasily replies "Lindsay?" before another baby girl, presumably Lindsay, moves into the frame and asks, "Milk-a-what?"

Lohan was ordered in 2007 to serve one day in jail, undergo an alcohol education program and spend three years on probation after admitting to drunk driving and cocaine possession.

"It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs," she said in a statement at the time.

Various problems have made the onetime child star in Disney movies a staple of Hollywood gossip pages and the paparazzi.

Grey Group declined to comment Tuesday.

"Lindsay" was in 2008 the 380th most popular name for newborn American girls, according to the U.S. Social Security Administration. That was down from 241th in 2004, when Lohan's popular film "Mean Girls" was released.

The E*Trade case is Lohan v. E*Trade Securities LLC, New York State Supreme Court, Nassau County, No. 004579/2010.

Lohan sues E*Trade over ?milkaholic? baby - Media biz- msnbc.com

2. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

Now THAT is why i fuckin' love Lindsay Lohan. What a whack job......i wanna party with her.

3. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

They should try this one on Judge Judy.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

lol - too funny, Scotia book the CDN arm of E-Trade, curious if this effects them as well.

5. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

this!

commercial

lindsay is clearing on the rock now, this is absurd

6. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

clearing on the rock regardless, would you still hit it is the question!

7. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

It doesn't. Scotia purchased the Canadian E-Trade - re-named it iTRADE and is now a completely different company.

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

clearly. and I would totally hit it.

i can see clearly now the rain is gone ...

9. Dear LiLo

The world is not you.

Fuck you very much

Steppa

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Good lord. Who the fuck does she think she is? Oprah is fucking unique. How many Oprahs do you know? Name two. How many Madonnas do you know? Really. Lindsey? There's a ton. Maybe if the kid was called Lilo or Firecrotch. But Lindsey?

11. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Tom Waits sued on this issue and won. A couple of times I think. No reference to his name either.

12. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

I was fully expecting Rick Waugh to mention this lawsuit when announcing first quarter results.

13. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

lol - 988M not bad for Q1 eh?

14. ian

ian TRIBE Member

This thread needs more pictures of hot mess Lindsay!

15. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

back in 2007, she defined the cutting edge of rich hot skankiness

16. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

e-trade must be loving the free publicity. lindsey lohan and her lawyer must be cringing at the public ridicule.

chick needs a better PR rep or manager. anyone with half a brain would have told her that the lawsuit would lead to nothing but ridicule.

17. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Milka-what?

18. xtc

xtc TRIBE Member

lindsy lohan is retarded, my creative and layout teacher showed us this ad a few weeks ago, and again today talking about how dumb lohan is.

19. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Something tells me she might be better off swallowing a bag of weed.