• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I'm wondering, like, what this thing is where like, people who are talking have to like, break each sentence up like, several times with the word 'like.'

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
they're looking for acknowledgement from the other party of the conversation. each time they say like they are looking for a nod or anything to signal you are listening to them.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Like, during those, like, breaks in my, like, train of thought, I am like totally planning my super sweet sixteen party.

AND YOU ARE NOT INVITED, MISTER.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
this thread is like, odd, cause LIKE usage is like way down from its late-twentieth century highs.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boo

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
I'm wondering, like, what this thing is where like, people who are talking have to like, break each sentence up like, several times with the word 'like.'

And what, exactly, does this have to do with George Bush, Iraq, Jon Stewart, baby seals or Oil?

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
I use it intentionally, to convey casualness of like, a mood or an idea

interchangable with for example

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Complaining about the declining state of language is like lamenting the waning popularity of the dirigible as a method of popular transportation.

Boo

TRIBE Member
In Ireland they use it at the end of a sentence, where North Americans use it in, like, the middle.

I find it particularly annoying to use it at the end because it doesn't break anything up, like.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
orly.jpg

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I read in Vice once that in Russia the word they use to break up a sentence also means 'whore'.

So, whore, me and Olav went over to, whore, this place that made, whore, cheap vodka. It turned out, whore, that it was just, whore, wiper fluid from, whore, a rusted out, whore, Lada. We, whore, totally drank it anyway because, whore, what else were we,whore, going to do?

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
I watched a TV show on Linguistics and they said the word "like" is here to stay. Its not a language "fad". They have certain determining factors they said on the prediction of language use. Like fits the patterns perfectly. They can predict where in a sentence someone will use it and how it will be used. It was an interesting show. I believe it was on the CBC.

So anyway, get used to it.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Every time I want to say it, I use silence instead. It works.
It's like "um.." It's the sound of your brain processing information.

Baters

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:

i tried this and realized my gaps of silence were accompanied by jaw-open, sideways glances into the horizon that made me look like a neandrathal trying to contemplate quantum physics

i'm back to "like" now

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
I do this too. I like totally still use it too much like when I'm tired or like excited.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i use it like, all the time. seriously. but i don't use it in the "um" way. i think that's very different from using it as a grammatical tool.

peko

TRIBE Member
Prickly Pete said:
I watched a TV show on Linguistics and they said the word "like" is here to stay. Its not a language "fad". They have certain determining factors they said on the prediction of language use. Like fits the patterns perfectly. They can predict where in a sentence someone will use it and how it will be used. It was an interesting show. I believe it was on the CBC.

So anyway, get used to it.

that was a great segment.

like or um are filler words people use if they're nervous speaking - um, or like, so I was told, um.

peko

TRIBE Member
wow, this is getting technical. I'm going to see what Greg Reference has to say about like.