1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Lights Out v2.0

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kmac, Aug 28, 2003.

1. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

Rush hour power cut hits London

LONDON, England -- Passengers were trapped on the London Underground as a power outage struck the city during evening rush hour Thursday.

"We have lost supplies to large parts of south London in the last few minutes as a result of a National Grid failure supply in the south London area," a spokesman for electricity network operator EDF Energy told Britain's Press Association.

"It's difficult to predict how long this is going to take. National Grid has got to get the circuit back."

A spokesman for London Underground said 60 percent of the subway system had been halted by the outage, including the majority of services in central London. The failure happened around 6:15 p.m.

By 7:30 p.m., Britain's energy regular Ofgem said power was returning to parts of London.

"There was a fault on a transformer system. There was loss of power for 34 minutes, but London Electricity has re-energised the system and it's back on," Reuters quoted an Ofgen spokesman as saying.

Thousands of people took to the streets as dusk approached. Street lights in some parts of London were not working in scenes reminiscent of the blackout that hit North America earlier this month.

London Underground said the power failure was having a "serious" impact on the whole of the city's metro network. Rail services from major stations including Victoria, London Bridge and Waterloo were also affected.

"There has been a National Grid failure which has affected the underground. At the moment we are assessing the impact of that, but it is having a serious impact on the whole system at the moment," a spokesman for the London Underground said.

He added: "It's also having an affect on some of our buildings. Certainly quite a lot of the network appears to be affected."

"There will be travelers underground. I don't know the extent of that yet. It's at the end of rush hour, the peak period, so it's a busy time."

An Underground spokesman told Reuters: "Trains in stations are being evacuated. We're trying to get alternative power sources started."

A spokesman for British Transport Police said the power cut had affected all major railway stations in south London.

"There is no power in a lot of stations and no trains running in the whole of south London," he said. "All major stations -- Victoria, London Bridge, Waterloo -- are affected and all main train lines have stopped. Some stations are in darkness and others have emergency lighting."

Euston Station was evacuated because of overcrowding, apparently because passengers could not get on the Underground.

2. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

This makes the possibility that the first attack was al-qaeda!

Cool.

3. diego

diego TRIBE Member

HA HA Losers lost ther power....oh wait.....DOH!

4. Steve Lawler was unavailable for comment.

5. fREAKYjUNGLIST

fREAKYjUNGLIST New Member

its probably jsut a normal black out......

6. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

HOW WILL THEY FLOSS IN THE DARK?!?!?!?!?

7. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

ha. I thought this had to do with Lawler.

8. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

I thought british people didnt floss.
    or even brush their teeth.

9. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

It'll get moved to the prog forum anyway.

10. deep

deep TRIBE Member

hahah

11. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

likewise... haha

12. keld

keld TRIBE Member

no lights out. i didnt even know there was a problem till i tried to take the tube to kentish town (aka north kiltown). thank god i didnt get stuck on that shit.

13. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

14. TheLiquidFairy

TheLiquidFairy TRIBE Member

That would be even more hilarious.

XXX
    Marian@WORK
    :p

15. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

yes. That was the cause. You know even before they do. wow.

16. taojen

taojen TRIBE Member

but how would they maintain such perfect teeth if they didn't?

17. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Actually I just finished reading a chapter of a book that pretty much predicted it.. but you're right, we don't know yet, hey, maybe it's a seagull hitting a power line -a much more educated guess.

It's also pretty well known that the Thatcher form of deregulation privatization was what was used as the template for the current power circus that's currently going on in the US.

18. 416

416 TRIBE Member

OTIS FOR PM!!!

19. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

Celebrity death match: OTIS vs Maggie Thatcher (circa '85)

20. 416

416 TRIBE Member

You gotta be careful with Thatcher... she's so tough she bombed Argentina!

21. then got bombed. Repeatedly.

22. TRO

TRO TRIBE Member

this made me laugh

-Bill

23. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

No doubt. What was that remark to George H Bush on the eve of Gulf '91? Something like: "George, now is not the time to appear soft..."

!!!

And her middle name is Hilda. That name conjures up images of some Eastern Bloc farmhand/masseuse.

24. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Dude, all I was concerned about in 85 was taking apart various electronics to see how they worked.. almost killing myself twice in the process.

But I'd still cut the bitch.

25. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Gah! You stole the words right outta my mouth!