• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Life On Other Planets Thread

kuba

TRIBE Member
Ocean discovered on Enceladus may be best place to look for alien life | Science | The Guardian

Do you believe we are the only existing form of life?

Do you feel in our lifetime, our kids, or their kids, or ever, we will ever find other life on other planets?

Will that life be what we think it is or merely living organisms that are less advanced than us? More advanced?

I believe there is other "life" out there, statistically it would just seem impossible, and I often think of the day where all the TV stations have the same feed going about that "finding". Kind of like in the movies, but we all know it'll never be like that.

Right?

dig this

TRIBE Member
I think it's mathematically impossible for there not to be life on other planets, but I guess with most other 'supernatural' stuff - I'll believe it when I see it.

I just hope if ever we find new life that the real estate is more stable so I can finally get into the market, no matter how many heads my neighbours may have :p.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I think there is life on other planets, no doubt. But it's not just "where" but "when" that life is. The universe is such a vast space of roughly 46 billion lightyears from end to end, but it's also about 13.7 billion years old.

You could have had whole civilizations come and go from amoeba to human-life life form in a matter of several hundred million years and they're already long extinct with their civilizations a kilometer underneath the ground of their no-longer-habitable planet.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

praktik

TRIBE Member
Modern Cosmology

So this is a picture of like, all galaxies in the universe zoomed out. All those pink strands are galaxies - GALAXIES man

300 billion stars in the Milky Way - just our corner....

So even if you were all like "well the universe is no bigger than the Milky Way" and someone said "is there life?"

Given the recent exoplanet/extremophile discoveries its like: FUCK YES THERE IS!

And then you look at the picture above and realize milky way is just the tiniest subpixel of that whole picture.

And your mind shits itself and goes back under the covers

<...so... cold....>

lobo

TRIBE Member
I too agree that there must be other forms of intelligent life out there. Mathematically there must be. However due to how large our galaxy is let alone how large the universe is, there is no way that they would be able to visit us with the frequency that's been reported for the last 50 years. Even if they could master 99.9% of lightspeed, it would still take them decades (4.5 years just for our closest start with no visible planets that I'm aware of) to get to us and then decades to get back. For what purpose? Only when we can get to the point of determining whether we could bend space or create warp drives will I think that other civilizations are visiting us.

Lobo

Vise

TRIBE Member
Is this thread inspired by the new Cosmos series or what? Seems fishy that praktik is dropping knowledge that my boy Neil has been spilling every week in glorious HD quality. :)

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well yes its in Cosmos - but been on a bit of an astronomy kick ever since I was forced to take one more course to close out my degree in Int'l Studies - astronomy was awesome!

Been on the astronomy blogosphere, downloading all popularized astronomy shows (like How the Universe Works, astronomy Horizon eps, etc) and skeptic's guide talks about exoplanet discoveries all the time.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I'm actually a little surprised that Cosmos is airing on Fox.
Yeah just a bit... plus the Exec Producer as well is a bit baffling. Aside from that though the show is awesome. Neil dGT is a badass and he makes learning fun.

praktik

TRIBE Member
McFarlane's had a hard on for astronomy a longtime, so not surprising... He wanted to be involved on purpose. He did the late night rounds along with Neil before launch so shouldn't be that surprising as he explained to all why he was involved.

kuba

TRIBE Member
You could have had whole civilizations come and go from amoeba to human-life life form in a matter of several hundred million years and they're already long extinct with their civilizations a kilometer underneath the ground of their no-longer-habitable planet.
This just blew my mind to consider.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
McFarlane's had a hard on for astronomy a longtime, so not surprising... He wanted to be involved on purpose. He did the late night rounds along with Neil before launch so shouldn't be that surprising as he explained to all why he was involved.

So I wonder if this will mean we'll get to see the Celebrity Roast of Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

derek

TRIBE Member
cosmos isn't bad but it's part of the usual mediocre programming related to science and physics american tv puts out. as boss points out, perhaps they really have to dumb it down for the audience.

some series i think are far better

wonders of the solar system
wonders of the universe
wonders of life
order and disorder
everything and nothing

and yes probability pretty much guarantees life elsewhere, even of there's only a 0.00001% chance. 1 billlion stars in the milkway and 1 billion galaxies containing similar quantities of stars

also in the last few years we've discovered a few hundred exoplanets with the potential to harbour life (and many others that don't)

nasa has a cool 3d visualization of some

Download NASA's Eyes