• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

lieb @ boa

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Very interesting night.

Got home from seeing the Leafs spank the Sens, hung out a bit and then took a nap that I really didn't want to get up from before heading to Boa.

Got there, no lineup, REALLY friendly staff (even while getting a full search), kind of excited about seeing what the hype was about re: Boa. Walked in to a really nice atmosphere. Spacious, tastefull designed, AMAZING SOUND. After about half an hour there I realized I was standing behind the line of the speakers and the sound was somehow still crisp and full. Amazingly clear subs too. Very impressed.

Some guy was spinning when we got there, killed time waiting to see what the hype about Fortier is about. Sober as a judge, and quickly getting tired, bored and cranky when Fortier hit the decks. Started off promising with a little techy business, but his track selection overall bored the hell out of me. SOMEONE TELL FORTIER THE MIXER HAS MORE THAN JUST CROSSFADERS. His mixing was completely uninspired. Not into it at all.

After what seemed like a freaking eternity to me, Lieb appeared into the booth, and started off his set with a long snippet of dialogue from "2001: A Space Oddessy" between Hal and Dave. I took that as a good omen. ;)

He started out a little low key, but really quicky began unleashing unclassifiable tracks. Dark, crunchy, chugging, some cross between prog and techno. Fucking tasty. People were eating it up.
He kept the pace up for most of his set. Tight mixing, good energy. Made the night completely worthwhile.

After Lieb *someone* told me that Greg Gow was coming on next and I almost came in my pants. In the dim lighting, I couldn't see under his baseball hat, but it turned out not to be him at all.

Time to go. :)

Really good night, pulled out of the fire for me. Good company, cool new spot to party. I can only hope they bring in some serious techno talent in the future, cuz I'd love to see that place packed losing it to some dirty techno.

~This review dedicated to my man, the Italian Stallion! You were missed!~

jockey slut

TRIBE Member
now i wish i had of gone

well, i am really happy to hear the venue meets BBB's
standards.
and now i am sad to know i missed something that i assume will not be happening anytime soon.
regardless, i agree with chris, i would love to see more solid techno [ jeff mills ] there rather than other unsightly BLOCK consuming monstrocities [ guvernment complex should die ]
how thorough was the search?
have you ever heard a better sound anywhere?
did you have a techno baby?

*sittin and wishing he had not lost his voice the day before, and wondering where the hell it fucked off to*

really wish i had been up for this

ah well

sometimes you just have to bite your lip and cry inside.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKK

- jybot clickbot

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
The search was polite but very thorough. Metal detector (which I set off because of my belt) earns you a "complete search". Still, very polite.

The sound is probably the best I've heard in a club enviornment. I've only been to the Guv once or twice, and I kinda think their sound is pretty slamming, but I was impressed with Boa.

I almost spontaneously conceived a techno baby in my pants when I thought Gow was stepping up to deliver me unto techno. No dice.

jockey slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
The search was polite but very thorough. Metal detector (which I set off because of my belt) earns you a "complete search". Still, very polite.

The sound is probably the best I've heard in a club enviornment. I've only been to the Guv once or twice, and I kinda think their sound is pretty slamming, but I was impressed with Boa.

I almost spontaneously conceived a techno baby in my pants when I thought Gow was stepping up to deliver me unto techno. No dice.
a. figures
b. :D
c. im sorry that it wasnt greg, your techno babies truly bring out the techno around you and infuse the people tech joy, and raging glee

feck i really wish i had of gone

im going to listen to 10 hours of techno just to make myself feel better

13. 5 hours actually

oddmyth - dust in the rain
craig richards - fabric 01
daft punk - live PA 1997
magda - live @ awakenings indoors 04.20.03 - part 1
miss kittin & ellen alien - intensive pussy alarm 2001 @ 1040
magda and richie - live @ PS1 newyork 03
plastikman - mixmag 1995
speedy j - live @ 1200 BPM hafentunnel 2001
trevor wilkes - live set - 01.03.2004

maybe that will satiate me :(

ah well

-jybot clikbot

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I can only hope they bring in some serious techno talent in the future, cuz I'd love to see that place packed losing it to some dirty techno.
I am hoping for this too Chris, but I don't think it's gonna happen in the near future.

What's the capacity of Boa?

vinder

TRIBE Member
WHAT KIT

holy shit what an amazing night. awesome venue, awesome sound, fortier was on, lieb ripped the place to shreds. sweet mother of WHAT KIT

glenn

TRIBE Member
thought passing the evening at Boa a lot of fun. excellent music. my first encounter with Lieb. he has a delightful record box. compelling stuff. my second time at Boa. i really enjoy this place. great sound. ushers for the washrooms. the space is a nice play on your sense of place. sexy club. bartenders who acknowledge when you say please and thank-you.

lots of potential there.

time for sketchy superbowl sunday.

glenn.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
I am very happy to hear that everyone had a good time at that place.

I was 110% sure the night was going to meet a lot of your standards given the line up and the sound of that place.
The reason why I am posting is because I am gutted that I missed this event.. too sick to attend. I was > < literally that close to going at around 1:45 am in the morning but...i had to rest to beat this flu.

gutted..I am.

please keep the detailed reviews coming along. I am going to download as many oliver lieb live mixes now... if you excuse me..and overdose on techy beats.

lilnick

TRIBE Member
Oh how I love those dark beats Fortier knocks out! Oliver Lieb pounded it 'til I was toast - wicked. That was Corey Activate at the end, but no Toronto gay circuit DJ is going to have a hope in hell following Lieb! Sorry.

First time at Boa. They get full marks all around. They need a better beverage selection but other than that they're running a really tight ship. Should be interesting to see where things go.

I was expecting a bigger turn out but I guess there was all sorts of stuff happening this weekend. Those that did show were right into it. No attitude and friendly people once you got talking.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
chris fortier was fucking incredible! i was SO not expecting that from him at all. not that he is bad, but he's never been THAT good any time that i've seen him. he was very nice too, especially with the fact that the poor thing had to put up with me babbling at him about drawing on sasha with magic markers (don't ask).

i honestly had no idea what to expect from lieb, but he played some crazy ass hard techy goodness. i was finally able to move at this point, because for the earlier part of the night, i was reduced to sitting because i was so full of food that i couldn't dance without feeling like i was going to vomit. moral of the story: do NOT make your winterlicious reservation for 10 pm and then go clubbing and not expect to feel beyond full. anyways, i couldn't really get into his set, even though it was good, cos by that point, i was just sleepy. i preferred fortier.

i also was surprised by the turnout. i thought a lot more people would have shown up. also, the water situation had been fixed, which means that i now *officially* have no complaints about boa. i lurve it :D

so yes. great night, great crowd, great music, and good times even though i spent most of the night sitting on my ass.

Nesta

TRIBE Member

~This review dedicated to my man, the Italian Stallion! You were missed!~
:( :)

i wish i could have been there. i have mixed emotions because my weekend was still awesome. how long did he play for?

one day oliver, one day...

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
My review

Pre-drinks and shenanigans at Kev's, good times as always. We made it down to Boa, I think it was around 2. Spent about 5-10minutes in the line, and we were on are way in.

Onto the search. I didn't find it invasive or anything of the sort. Frankly glad they do it, and the security staff was friendly.

We enter, its a big space, I was surprised for some reason. Clean, individual washrooms, etc. Nice big couches to lounge on, etc. I'm no expert on the sound system, but I found it crisp, and you didn't have to yell to talk to someone. We made for one of these large booths, I swear the thing could fit at least 20 or so more people, chilled and had a little smokey smokey. Security was right beside us, and they didn't seem to care-nice!

The club to fill up pretty soon after we got there. Mixed but friendly crowd.

Ran into Vinder, looking good!, putting on some weight I see. The lovely Mingster, and her boy BBB, cute couple indeed! Sorry I didn't stick around, more on this later.

I ran out of steam at around 4ish, I could only drink so many of those energy drinks before the taste went on me. It was one of those moments where I was going to stay till the end, or get out of there intact. I decided to be responsible for once and got out of there.

Thanks again Kevin, for the pre-drinks, Dan and crew. Trust you guys made it out all in one piece.

Later
ChrisD

mingster

TRIBE Member
very interesting night indeed. from the no-alcohol aspect to the idea of pushing the whole clubbing experience back by a few hours. this was an experiment of sorts. not to be repeated too often. ;)

i had an amazing time though. the venue is really nice. i love the layout. i like the big, wide stairs, how you can dance on them, and how they make the dj visually accessible from almost anywhere you might be standing. i really enjoyed that the club wasn't too full, and that i was able to move around with alot of ease. and move around i did. i pretty much spent the whole time fluttering about from spot to spot. i love the space!! the crowd was really good. lots of different peeps. i totally notice a different vibe than you usually get when people are drinking. much nicer, and less aggressive. the club staff was great, coat check, friskers, and especially the bathroom attendant.

i really enjoyed what i think was the opening set (whomever was spinning before fortier). i've been told his name, but would rather not risk messing it up. anyone know it? anyways, he played lots of vocally upbeat house. very happy music. fortier was allright. but kinda boring. i left him behind for a quick trek to vinder's for some booze.

and back at the club, lieb was just about to go. and go on he did. it was sweet. had me dancing for 2 hours straight!

excellent company at hand. chris, vinder, dan, kev, nice to see nat again, and to meet mandapanda, adrian & gijill. :)

wut wut. :D my only complaint was that there wasn't nearly enough screaming.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
oliver lieb :(

someday, somewhere ...
Sorry you couldn't make it zoo ... you would have fcuk'n loved it!! But thanks for gettin' me interested in Lieb - it was sick.
Well written reviews guys - I think you've captured it all. I will only clarify that Lieb was on from 5 to 7:30. I have a wristwatch - haha - and I use it.

Oh, and I don't agree w BBB - Fortier was also excellent.