• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

LF: Puppies!

CO2

TRIBE Member
Allo there...

Me and the roomie family are looking to adopt or buy (for a very reasonable) price, one small to middle sized puppy for a nice big downtown loft minutes from a nice big park! Ive checked all the regular pounds and animal shelters for one, but 99% of them are either too old or are pit bulls, which I am not interested AT ALL in.

Now I could just go to a breeder and spend thousands of dollars on a purebred, but I find them a) way too expensive b) rather stupid. Plus id rather just adopt a puppy that desperately needs a home rather than getting them from a breeder who will more than likely sell their puppy to a good home...and did I mention im cheap and dont feel like i should PAY for a dog?

So if anyone has any contacts, friends, relatives, etc, who is looking to unload a puppy, please post it here, or PM me!

kyfe

TRIBE Member
petfinder.com is your answer.

my Beagle is purebred and she wasn't very expensive, it really depends on how rare the breed is and how in demand they are. IE pugs, afgans etc...

good luck with your search and educate yourself on how to care for the dog as they will become your #1 priority, always.

Kyfe

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
why don't you rescue an older dog instead of a puppy. sure they're cuter, but they'll grow up fast.

An older dog is already ouse trained and the chick factor (long term) is way better. You'll get more cooo's over rescuing a dog that was headed for death.

mingster

TRIBE Member
it's a sad fact that most of the dogs at the humane society are hardly adoptable for the average person who is not a hardcore dog trainer or animal behaviourist or who otherwise can't deal with various existing behavioural issues.

but as kyfe said, there are lots of pups available for relatively low prices. we also got our beagle for under $300. i want a free pup too. but i'm pretty sure they don't exist.

as an aside, i was in a pet store the other day, and all pups for sale were over $1000. prices have gone way up since i was a kid.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
also, check the classifieds in the star - there are always ads for pups for sale through private breeders in there.

:)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
So are you planning on living with this roomate for the next 8-20 years depending on which breed you get? You might want to figure out who is keeping the dog when you move on.

CO2

TRIBE Member
^^ It will be mine.

Ive got alot of experience with dogs as I grew up with a bunch of them right to when i left home, and know the sacrifice and commitment you need to have when owning one. I fully intend to have him/her around for a very very long time...

..and the reason I want a puppy is because I want to raise it my own way. I know it sounds kinds bad, but I dont want a dog with baggage. I dont have the time needed for a dog that is going to need someone who can give it constant direction and attention.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
CO2 said:
^^ It will be mine.

Ive got alot of experience with dogs as I grew up with a bunch of them right to when i left home, and know the sacrifice and commitment you need to have when owning one. I fully intend to have him/her around for a very very long time...

..and the reason I want a puppy is because I want to raise it my own way. I know it sounds kinds bad, but I dont want a dog with baggage. I dont have the time needed for a dog that is going to need someone who can give it constant direction and attention.
I raised my dog from 4 weeks old and she is the kindest and quietest angel on the face of the earth, if you have a patience and skill it's no problem.Crate training is also something to look into, It gives the dog a place of their own and prevents alot of mishaps and ruined furniture.;)

set a mandate of a new trick mastered every month

squirrely

TRIBE Member
CO2 said:
I dont have the time needed for a dog that is going to need someone who can give it constant direction and attention.
then you don't have time for a puppy.

period.

give animal services east, west, north, and south a shot. every day there are dogs arriving whose only "baggage" is that they were dumped by an owner who was moving, had allergies, decided they no longer wanted a dog, had a baby, etc.

go meet a couple of them and you'll know what i'm talking about.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
Crate training is also something to look into, It gives the dog a place of their own and prevents alot of mishaps and ruined furniture.;)
i'd like to mention that "crate training" doesn't mean putting your dog in a crate for ten hours while you go to work. not saying you did that, but it's amazing how many people think "dog in crate" = "crate training."

CO2

TRIBE Member
squirrely said:
then you don't have time for a puppy.

period.

give animal services east, west, north, and south a shot. every day there are dogs arriving whose only "baggage" is that they were dumped by an owner who was moving, had allergies, decided they no longer wanted a dog, had a baby, etc.

go meet a couple of them and you'll know what i'm talking about.
Oh im sorry, i wasnt aware you're the grand master dog owner/trainer. Who are you to say i dont have the time to do this? Ive gone through far more hectic times in my life and had no trouble bringing up a puppy and keeping it happy. Dont tell me that i dont have time for it and such, you dont know me. A dog who has been abused and such needs far more attention than any puppy will, and I know this because i used to foster abused dogs and cats through my old roomates job at a local vet. On top of that, I have several roomates who can help me bring up the puppy in the early stages when the most attention is needed.

So keep your thoughts on how to properly bring up a puppy to yourself before you have the facts on who your preaching to.

Thanks.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
I raised my dog from 4 weeks old and she is the kindest and quietest angel on the face of the earth, if you have a patience and skill it's no problem.Crate training is also something to look into, It gives the dog a place of their own and prevents alot of mishaps and ruined furniture.;)

set a mandate of a new trick mastered every month
Absolutely. And another vote here for crate training. Always remember that the amount of months a puppy is, is often the amount of time a puppy can go without being let out to go to the washroom. I hate when people stick puppies in crates for 8 hours. Pisses me right off.

It is not a bad idea to take a few weeks off work to bond with a new pup.

Puppies are a lot of work! And this is coming from someone who works with twins and triplets for a living. It took 2 of us to train her well..plus a dogwalker who comes in the middle of the day to give her a pee break and a walk.

Good luck if you get a puppy..and remember there are sooooo many hidden costs in having a pup that you may not think of...collars, leashes, crate, training costs, treats, food, toys, vet fees, bones. You can't be short on cash to own a doggy if you ask me. It adds up big time. It cost us over 500 to get our girl spayed..which is totally recommended to avoid ovarian cancer as well as avoiding backyard breeding.

My 2 cents.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
CO2 said:
Oh im sorry, i wasnt aware you're the grand master dog owner/trainer. Who are you to say i dont have the time to do this? Ive gone through far more hectic times in my life and had no trouble bringing up a puppy and keeping it happy. Dont tell me that i dont have time for it and such, you dont know me. A dog who has been abused and such needs far more attention than any puppy will, and I know this because i used to foster abused dogs and cats through my old roomates job at a local vet. On top of that, I have several roomates who can help me bring up the puppy in the early stages when the most attention is needed.

So keep your thoughts on how to properly bring up a puppy to yourself before you have the facts on who your preaching to.

Thanks.

i don't believe for one second that i am "the grand master dog owner/trainer" (but god, wouldn't that be nice), and i am sorry for coming across that way.

your statement, word for word, was "I dont have the time needed for a dog that is going to need someone who can give it constant direction and attention," which you obviously know is exactly what a puppy requires.

my post then went on to suggest checking out animal services, because i was really surprised to see the kind of dogs they had available for adoption -- very very different from the humane society, many of which don't have the baggage of abuse from previous owners.

that's all.

sorry that my tone took away from the point i was trying to make.