• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

LF: Life Drawing Classes

toejam

TRIBE Member
Hi Tribers,

I'm looking to get back into drawing this summer. Does anyone know any good places to attend a life drawing class in the city.

Thanks

stryker

TRIBE Member
hey toejam,

I've gone to classes and drop in -studios at most places around the city.

The AGO Adult Studio classes are fun and educating, but their timetable may have started already. It's a mix of short poses, gesture and some colour. It's mostly retired women and a few stragglers in the class. It costs more then drop-in, but the models make it worth it. Having pros vs some lazy hippy who'll drop her clothes for $50 makes all the difference in the world.

Toronto School of Art has drop in studio ( so does OCAD) but there's no instruction. Same crowd and usually same models as the AGO courses.

TSA has weekend classes where the first 3 hours are lots of 5 min poses, and then the afternoon does one long pose.

PM if you want more info.

stew :)

urbansoul

TRIBE Member
toronto school of art is amazing (the 1st link mentioned above by ndrwrld). i've been going to the drop in thursday class (7pm-10pm) for years. the models are great and there is no instruction-which i prefer-but it depends what you're looking for.
i've been to several different life drawing classes around the city and tsa definitely conducts the best. i have also met some of the most incredible artists there. it's a 3 hour class for $8.00, can't beat that rate.

peko

TRIBE Member
urbansoul said:
toronto school of art is amazing (the 1st link mentioned above by ndrwrld). i've been going to the drop in thursday class (7pm-10pm) for years. the models are great and there is no instruction-which i prefer-but it depends what you're looking for.
i've been to several different life drawing classes around the city and tsa definitely conducts the best. i have also met some of the most incredible artists there. it's a 3 hour class for $8.00, can't beat that rate.
that is a great price! thanks for the details.

stryker

TRIBE Member
urbansoul said:
agreed!~

OCAD used to have classeson Monday's but they wre for around $15 or something. It was the same models as TSA.

Here's the page for open life drawing

http://www.tsa-art.ca/Courses/Discipline/View_All/335

LD0 - Life Drawing without Instruction
Also called Open Life Drawing, these are pay-as-you-go drop-in sessions with a live model. There is no instruction and participants bring their own drawing materials; easels and drawing boards are provided. Registration is not required; fees (cash only) are collected at the door. Space is limited and seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Thursday 7 to 10 pm Variety of Poses $10
Friday 6:30 to 9:30 pm Variety of Poses $10
Sunday 10 am to 12:30 pm Short Poses $9
Sunday 1 to 4 pm One Long Pose $10
Sunday 6:30 to 9:30 pm Variety of Poses $10

mayab

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know where these schools book their models? It might be a nice change from photographers.

urbansoul

TRIBE Member
stryker said:
agreed!~

OCAD used to have classeson Monday's but they wre for around $15 or something. It was the same models as TSA.

Here's the page for open life drawing

http://www.tsa-art.ca/Courses/Discipline/View_All/335

LD0 - Life Drawing without Instruction
Also called Open Life Drawing, these are pay-as-you-go drop-in sessions with a live model. There is no instruction and participants bring their own drawing materials; easels and drawing boards are provided. Registration is not required; fees (cash only) are collected at the door. Space is limited and seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Thursday 7 to 10 pm Variety of Poses $10
Friday 6:30 to 9:30 pm Variety of Poses $10
Sunday 10 am to 12:30 pm Short Poses $9
Sunday 1 to 4 pm One Long Pose $10
Sunday 6:30 to 9:30 pm Variety of Poses $10

hmm, i guess they changed their prices? i've been slacking a little and haven't been in a few months. meh, $10 is still a great price!
yes, and stryker is absolutely right-space is very limited! you must arrive 15 minutes early. you can never arrive late because you will not be allowed in, as they lock the doors after the class commences.

stryker

TRIBE Member
mayab said:
Does anyone know where these schools book their models? It might be a nice change from photographers.

I dunno if there's an agency they go through. My experience has been that the models and the instructor (supervisor if it's at TSA) have known the models for a few years. There are about 6 regulars that I've seen around for years, who are very good at their jobs.

I'd ask the instructor, they're usually in the industry and teach as a hobby. Atsmon and Barb from the AGO classes are awesome instructors who'll be able to point you in the right direction.

P.S. please keep in mind that they're figure drawing models and they're hired for their bodies, not their looks. I've only ever had two hotties, most of the time it's normal, avg everday looking people, flab, hair, cellulite et al....with no clothes on.

stew

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
stryker said:
P.S. please keep in mind that they're figure drawing models and they're hired for their bodies, not their looks. I've only ever had two hotties, most of the time it's normal, avg everday looking people, flab, hair, cellulite et al....with no clothes on.

stew
:rolleyes: were you expecting a maxim model the first time?

mayab

TRIBE Member
stryker said:
I dunno if there's an agency they go through. My experience has been that the models and the instructor (supervisor if it's at TSA) have known the models for a few years. There are about 6 regulars that I've seen around for years, who are very good at their jobs.

I'd ask the instructor, they're usually in the industry and teach as a hobby. Atsmon and Barb from the AGO classes are awesome instructors who'll be able to point you in the right direction.

stew
Thanks, I'm sure they are hired for their posing abilities like many other models. I like working photography workshops so this might be fun also.

dyad

TRIBE Member
not a class persay but Dr Sketchy's Anti-Art school has a Toronto chapter that is a really fun night of life drawing.

http://www.drsketchy-toronto.com/

subject matter tends to be burlesque dancers/ performance artists of all walks so there is some really interesting material to work with and its in the back room of the Cameron House which is a nice place to have a beer or two and draw along with other fun types.