1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

LF: Laptop

Discussion in 'Buy & Sell & Rent' started by Brent Hayward, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Brent Hayward

Brent Hayward TRIBE Member

Im currently in the market for a laptop that will be used solely for Serato DJ purposes.
    Looking at a Macbook/Macbook Pro, however for $1200-1600, I cant seem justify buying one new, especially seeing as how I own a G5 already.
    Any recommendations as to any good models in in the $500-1000 price range that wont give me any problems. (doesnt have to be a Mac!)
    Thanks for the help Tribers!

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

looking at apple's site, i can't find a macbook pro (with a decent processor) for under $2200. please tell me where I can find one for $1600! hell, $1800! totally serious. and if i had a used laptop for ya, i would sell.

3. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

My buddy picked up some off lease IBM T60's for $500 recently. I think maybe through WinTronic computers or some such.
    They're awesome notebooks. I use my T61 (same specs, better screen) to play out via Traktor. It should handle Serato just fine.

4. 3sixty

3sixty TRIBE Member

Tell them your a student and order on the phone! trust me they will give you the student discount.

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

oh really? totally trying. at least to get a quote

6. Brent Hayward

Brent Hayward TRIBE Member

In terms of systems specs, what would be the minimum I would need to run the program with no issues on a weekly basis?

Sony/HP/IBM/Acer/Viao/Toshiba/Dell? Who's got the best rep for this particular case of just running Serato and music storage?

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i've used serato well on an hp laptop, but i've had issues with their laptop hard drives. Also, when you go cheap (like, to best buy) you'll find that the components and drivers dont always match up, and it can be a bitch to fix a cheaply made laptop. you won't know there are issues until you go to reinstall the drivers...

serato only needs a gig of ram, and the processor speed doesn't need to be anything special. because you wouldn't be running anything else simultaneously with serato, you should be able to get away with a modest setup. 2 gigs of ram is typically the minimum on new machines anyway.

(oh and it runs well on xp. not sure about other systems)