• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

LF: Good VW Mechanic in TO

ktown

TRIBE Member
Hey Tribe !

I know how helpful you all are, so here goes...

My car is fucked... oil is pouring out of it and I can't get it to my regular mechanic in Waterloo... so I need some suggestions for places in Toronto... and preferably VW guys...

Since I likely have to tow the car, it would be cool if they were close to Dundas/Lansdown area.

Please help.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Lurker

TRIBE Member
where is it pouring out of? Does it do this running or when shut off (or both)?

Yours is a 2000 or so, right?

Where in TO are you?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Certified @ Queen and Sorauren is only a couple blocks away and he does solid work.

Edit- they don't do weekends though.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Alpine King Street and the block west of John Street right beside the hotel. Gus and Hans have always been gold with me.

ktown

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the info :)

where is it pouring out of? Does it do this running or when shut off (or both)?

Yours is a 2000 or so, right?

Where in TO are you?

its a 96, and i'm not sure where it coming from... i'm actually not in TO right now.. but when luke called me and said that when he put a quart of oil into it this morning it actually poured out before he could drive it home.. its rediculous there is like an oil trail after it when you drive (its been parked for a week waiting for me to get some time)

i know my rad is buggered, a while back i was in a fender bender, and it got dented but didn't need to be replaced, so i was going to get it replaced on monday in waterloo cause it just wore out and started leaking, and then we figured out the oil thing

i'm pretty pissed, lucy is getting old :(

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lurker

TRIBE Member
stupid question, but could the drain plug have come loose or out? Did you get the oil changed recently?

Your car has a steel oil pan that can take quite a hit without getting a hole in it (can't say the same for my fragile aluminium oil pan though) so I don't think it would have just happenned you know?

I forgot your car was a 96! I thought it was newer :)

ktown

TRIBE Member
Funny, thats the conclusion my bro and i came to last night.

I hope thats all it is, but no, my last oil change was about 2 months ago.

It all happened so suddenly, it wierd, going to take care of it on monday.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
littlenutty said:
i take my VW to the dealership... isnt that what youre supposed to do?

They're a tad pricey. If you have a reliable VW that isn't repair hungry you'll be fine. My 89 Cabrio had a very bad habit of needing regular attention as it aged. I found Alpine to be about %60 of the price of a delaership.

partypix

TRIBE Member
I would suggest European Speed Sport at Martingrove and Hwy 7 - not really in TO (woodbridge) but they deal mainly with vdubs. They do alot of mods there for vws as well - so they may have spare parts (used) that may save some $$. The owner Cliff races vws and they know they shite...plus they are really good with explaining to you what you need. My bro did his swap there.

I would also suggest to check out the VW forums, they may be able to help out as well.

Noize

TRIBE Member
ERT in woodbridge is a VW shop. I used to take my Jetta to them anytime i had a problem and they were fantastic.
They're at Costa Rd & Highway 7 (between jane and keele)

littlejon

TRIBE Member
a second vote for alpine, 'cause the were exceptionally friendly.

and a big fuck you to the dealership, 'cause they are outrageously expensive and slimy and time consuming.
so there.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
i would normally only direct you to one mechanic who i always deal with and is truly an honest guy who does good work but in this case i would have to direct you to another family-run garage - Eurotech @ 9 belvia rd. toronto (kipling and queensway area) - who i have dealt with alot in the past and who primarily work on vw's only. great work. ask for alan de wolfe.

d

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
i used to live a block away from a VW mechanic in downtown toronto, if that's easier ore more convenient for ya... it's right beside massimo pizza at the corner of college and robert (it's on robert st.), which is 1 block from spadina.

when i brought the boy (a serious VW/Audi enthusiast) to massimo for a slice, he noticed it, and remarked that even in ottawa VW people talk about that garage being excellent.
<shrug>

[what can i say - yeah, he belongs to car clubs... but he's just so damned cute. :eek: ]

ktown

TRIBE Member
thanks everyone, i'll call around and see what happens... hopefully its just a plug that miraculously fell out or something stupid :)

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
i used to live a block away from a VW mechanic in downtown toronto, if that's easier ore more convenient for ya... it's right beside massimo pizza at the corner of college and robert (it's on robert st.), which is 1 block from spadina.
just remembered - it's called "Peter's Garage".

good luck.

kuba

TRIBE Member
finary has a vr6 and if you do a search for vw mechanic on tribe, you'll find the thread in which he gave the mechanic's info-

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
I'll give a 3rd nod to alpine. they were kind enough to let me use their tools to mess with my stereo. i loved the fact that the first guy i talked to didn't speak a word of english when i talked to him. he just looked over at his mechanic buddy and said, in german obviously, something to the effect of "what the fuck is this idiot talking to me for?"

hardcore imported german car mechanics working inside the worlds tiniest filithiest body shop. don't count on getting your car cleaned afterwards like at the dealership though. :)

ktown

TRIBE Member
Alpine was awsome !

They immideately knew what the problem was (just wear and tear or my little oil hose, and a small crack somewhere else) and fixed it for me on the spot without charging unreasonable amounts.

2 thumbs up --- I liked these guys, I think I'm going to go there instead of constantly taking my car to waterloo now.

Thanks for all other suggestions too !

:)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
ktown said:
Alpine was awsome !

They immideately knew what the problem was (just wear and tear or my little oil hose, and a small crack somewhere else) and fixed it for me on the spot without charging unreasonable amounts.

2 thumbs up --- I liked these guys, I think I'm going to go there instead of constantly taking my car to waterloo now.

Thanks for all other suggestions too !

:)

Good to hear! Alpine has done me and my sister well for several years and although it might look backwards and from the 50's they don't fuck around and they get the job done and for a price thats incredibly hard to beat. No free lollipop at the end but the dude working on your car is actually german!

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Ditto Much said:
Good to hear! Alpine has done me and my sister well for several years and although it might look backwards and from the 50's they don't fuck around and they get the job done and for a price thats incredibly hard to beat. No free lollipop at the end but the dude working on your car is actually german!

lol i can relate as the spot i recommended is similarly family-owned by germans. i went to them for years with an old jetta and sent many a friend there... when i finally sold it and bought a honda i brought it over for service and they were like... WTF!!?? why you buying that japanese crap! bah!! hehe great crew though. they actully race vw's and bmw's in their spare time as well.

d

kilT1

TRIBE Member
Peter 's Volkswgon on Roselawn @ Dufferin 416 783 2126
Great Guys .They have the best hourly rate in town......