1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

LF: DJ controller (preferably Torq Xponent)

Discussion in 'Buy & Sell & Rent' started by oeretS, Jul 22, 2010.

1. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

anyone looking to sell their DJ controller? I need one for a new job unfortunately. Torq Xponent is preferred but I'm willing to look at anything at this point.

not looking for anything too fancy, just something with jog wheels and pitch faders

please let me know. PM or email richard.d.hope at gmail

thanks!

2. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Are you planning on using Traktor? Because with how good the software is now, digital djing using jog wheels and pitch faders is really just useless comfort for those afraid to make the jump. Those of us who grew up playing on turntables and later CDJs and time-coded vinyl obviously have an attachment to that workflow, but I urge anyone who wants to really start djing digitally to cast of those shackles and just jump in.

You're a guy who likes to get his loop and acapella on, why not explore a virtual four deck solution? With a soundcard that has enough outs, you can just show up to a gig and plug in your four outputs to each channel input on the mixer and as long as you've spend a little time with your track beforehand making sure the grids are all good, you'll be able to start using multiple decks while still having the familiarity of a traditional dj mixer. Want to get really creative? Just grab a smaller midi controller, maybe the Kontrol X1?

Right now, my setup is a Behringer DDM4000 with portions midi mapped to allow control of all four decks of Traktor including a looping, fx, etc. It also provides me with four dedicated audio channels to take advantage of the on board features.

I'm not saying this setup if for everyone, but after years of half-cocked digital solutions that spent more time remediating old workflows, I have finally found a digital platform that allows for creativity, focus and precision.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

thanks spence

to be honest, I don't want it for any other reason than that I have a regular gig at a place with no gear set up. I'm quite happy with my current rig at home and not really looking to expand my DJ horizons.

I have Torq Connectiv already and I've thought about learning to mix or auto-beatmatch using the keyboard and mouse for this job, but honestly I'm not too excited about the idea - guess I'm old school that way.

which is why I think a controller is my best bet - lets me set up quickly and still allow me to look like I'm doing something up there lol

4. 3sixty

3sixty TRIBE Member

I'm using a VCI 300 as my backup and I love it. I've never had an issue with serato itch even with my NS7. My TTM57sl is just sitting in my room collecting dust! lol

5. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I'm certainly not advocating a double-click symphony and I was using Torq Connectiv for a while. It is now in my closet collecting dust. I just didn't like the attention split that occurs with the laptop, the turntables and the mixer. That and the fact Torq itself is very limited software wise, especially when compared to Itch and certainly when compared to Traktor.

3sixty's suggestion of the VCI 300 is a better option than the Xponent and that way you can you still have your silly jog-wheels and pitch faders.

6. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

If money was no object, I would be rocking this. Everything you need. Right there.

[​IMG]

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

holy mother.

*googling for a price*

8. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

qft.

9. 3sixty

3sixty TRIBE Member

Xone DX is around $1200 which is not that bad, I paid about $1000 for my vci when it launched. But you can't scratch with the DX.

10. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I liked the jog and pitch faders on the VCI - they responded extremely well. To bad the thing was so limited.

Jay

11. DJMarshy

DJMarshy TRIBE Member

If you're a scratch DJ, I'd say go with something ITCH-based that's not the Xone DX (VCI-300 or Numark NS7/V7). If you're not, the Xponent is a good choice, but the Xone DX is still bomb. Or you can wait it out to see what NI's new controller is gonna be...

Sooo... about this NI controller...

12. miller

miller TRIBE Member

Been waiting for this^

Almost bought American Audio's version

13. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

I'll check that one out - does it have its own software, or does it need Traktor? I don't really want to buy new DJ software.

and please don't take offense to my comments - I actually have no particular opinion on DJ formats as long as the music is good. My complaint is personal - I don't want to look like I'm doing nothing at a job, especially if your employer doesn't understand the technology - for all they know you're playing tracks in itunes.

14. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i told myself i wouldn't......

i like jog wheels - because i don't always start songs from the same place every time. I also prefer to navigate to that part of the track with a jog wheel and find that setting markers can sometimes be inaccurate and unreliable. also pitch faders are useful when your digital track's bpm aren't accurately measured (a lot of breaks/ esp. downtempo has this problem).

so when you're spontaneously doing something that's not programmed, the old way of doing things is nice to have! :) technics1200 technics1200

i have always been a bit slow-to-change with technology though.....and i 're-bought' turntables not too long ago....

15. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

well I finally picked up a unit. American Audio CK-1000

[​IMG]

now before you go mocking me, hear me out.

First of all, it's pretty much brand new.

2nd, it's a dual CD and mp3 player with built in mixer.

3rd, it's been modded with an extra line in for each channel, allowing it to be used as a controller in Torq or whatever else.

4th, each CD channel can be run to another mixer, thereby bypassing the AA mixer - essentially I've added 2 more decks to my DJ rig at home.

5th, the guy who bought it originally had a summer gig fall through - he wanted to return it but because of the mod he couldn't - hence more than 50% off his selling price.

in conclusion, this thing might not be the greatest mixing tool but for the price and features, I'm more than happy with my purchase.

thanks for your input and help dudes

16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Sweet! I've actually heard from someone on the torq forum that unit isn't bad.

17. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

yeah I poked around some forums and the reviews seemed to be mostly positive

That said, if you're used to mixing on turntables and full sized CDJs, this thing is a huge step down. I will definitely need to get used to it but I'm sure it would be a similar learning curve on any of these mini setups

18. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

How much monies?

19. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

So that thing can be mapped with midi?

Seems like a dope little unit.

20. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

No MIDI. But you can send control signal from the decks to Torq/Serato/Traktor and then it is an Analog mixer.

21. 3sixty

3sixty TRIBE Member

vci

buy my vci 300.....dammit

22. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

I'm a touch late to this party...

but just a quick 2 cents..

The Native Instruments X1 is the best controller I have ever used/owned and the build quality is top notch!

23. 3sixty

3sixty TRIBE Member

Very Late! He wants something with jog wheels!!!! not a bonefide midi button conrtoller.. but welcome..

24. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

nice to see you got sorted. that looks like it would fit the job nice.

moving on from the xponent, i'm waiting patiently to see what's going to happen with the ipad. i am guessing the first real integration will be in the traktor camp, but i wouldn't put it past m-audio to give us something for torq.

there is already an iphone app for DJing that looks pretty serious (touch dj 2), but obviously we're not at the stage where you can show up to a paying gig with an iphone and expect to collect at the end of the night. iOS4 does let these dj programs access your itunes collection though which you couldn't do in 3--.

griid is already available but only available for mac, there's got to be something like this for A-B djing soon.

25. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

ummm ... whatever, it's early and I dont have the energy.