• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

LF: Advice on CDJs

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
I'm thinking about succumbing to the era of technology and buying a CDJ, as I am beginning to admit to myself that there are some records out there that I will just never find. I have never used one and I really know nothing about them. I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I don't have the faintest idea of how much a decent CDJ is going to cost. I am hoping to spend somewhere in the neighbourhood of $300 for something decent. Is that totally unreasonable? I also know very little as to which models/brands are the more respected ones with regard to CDJs.

Input?

Thanks

Nick

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
just get some cheap dual deck.

I've had a couple of cheap cdjs.. including a numark dual one that i use now at home.. while it sure ain't no cdj 1000 or denon s5500.. it get the job done and i have no problems mixing on it. good to know how to use crap cdjs to.. cause not all clubs have 1000's.. or even 100's.. i've played a few places with crappy dual decks. and besides when you are out and using 1000's, it makes it much more enjoyable ;)

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Pioneer bro.......cdj 100s if you are beginning.....Pioneer 200s are excellent as they play MP3s and have an automatic beat loop button.......Pioneer 800s and 1000s are for pro who wish to emulate vinyl. Pioneer DVJs if your name is Sander K.....

Check Metro Sound and Moog Audio in Toronto for new equipment. For used equipment....check TRIBE and EBAY.

For 3 bones....a cdj 100 at least....

.....I'm drunk......so kiss my ass...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DJ Chris Ryan

TRIBE Member
i have a Denon 2700F dual unit player for sale if you are interested. But if you do have the money, just get the Pioneer 1000's.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
I'm seeing someone listing 10 new CDJ-1000MK2s on ebay for 99.00 pounds. Even though I'm relatively new to the whole ebay thing, this sounds a little too good to be true to me. No pics and no bids, so I'm a little wary.

Your thoughts?

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
possibledj said:
I'm seeing someone listing 10 new CDJ-1000MK2s on ebay for 99.00 pounds. Even though I'm relatively new to the whole ebay thing, this sounds a little too good to be true to me. No pics and no bids, so I'm a little wary.

Your thoughts?

there was a thread started by chiclet regarding something simular.

Dont do it :)

Jay

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
possibledj said:

Your thoughts?

If the price was in pounds, that probably means they're from the UK, which means they'll run on a completely different voltage.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
Mr_Furious said:
If the price was in pounds, that probably means they're from the UK, which means they'll run on a completely different voltage.

Even so, it's still a great deal. You can always get a transformer to change the voltage. How do people get away with scams like this though?

DJ Chris Ryan

TRIBE Member
they ask u to pay thru western union..which offers you as the buyer NO protection, its a load of crap...trust me...i looked into it once!

Denon 2700F in mint condition $400 if you are interested in that...original box and manual included.

You will need atleast $500 to get a pair of 100's, and that would be a tuff deal to find too:)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I just got an 800 and couldn't be happier with it. I would have settled on the 200, and perhaps might for a second one, but L&McQuade lets you finance the second half over 12 months which is how I am affording it.

Have you considered using that 300 bucks for a downpayment on an800 (or a pair of 200s) and then financing the rest?

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Get the 1000's... you may not afford them now, but just save your money, and you'll be one happy camper when you see those beautiful CDJ1000MK2 come to your door. I got mine off e-bay for a wicked price (truned out to be $1050 cnd... that's with taxes and frieght charges). If you can't wait I would stick with Pioneer and just go for the 100's or what ever fits your boat.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
I have never used a CDJ though, and I don't really want to drop the big bucks on a pricey machine to find out I hate them. On the other hand, I don't want to buy a crappy CDJ and think I hate CDJs just because I have a shitty machine. I'm seeing all kinds of crazy deals on ebay though, but they sound too good to be true.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
there is endless debate on the subject, people will recommend shit dual decks and others will push dropping big bucks on a Pio 1000.

in the end, i would say the best thing is to buy a Pioneer 800 - they are middle range (price-wise), and you can adapt to playing a club cause they're so similar to the 1000. you say you've never had a CDJ and you don't know if you're gonna like it, but of course you're gonna like it, it will become as valuable an asset as your decks within a few months.

don't skimp on a shit player man, you'll regret it. as skipper noted, you can get financing on a more expensive player, it's totally worth it.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
possibledj said:
I have never used a CDJ though, and I don't really want to drop the big bucks on a pricey machine to find out I hate them. On the other hand, I don't want to buy a crappy CDJ and think I hate CDJs just because I have a shitty machine. I'm seeing all kinds of crazy deals on ebay though, but they sound too good to be true.

How could you hate something that does everything a record player does, but gives you more avenues to take your music and mixes… like on time looping, saved cue points and saved loop points too. Also the days of paying close to 16-18 bucks a track is over! The most I spend on one track is $3.49, and that gives you a wave-formatted file. Save now and enjoy the benefits of a good CDJ. It took me 3 years to get everything I wanted, and I’m glad I saved up for that gear.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
I'm starting to get that feeling. I think I'm just going to suck it up and buy 1000s. I guess you save the money on records pretty quickly too.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
In theory, yes, but you just end up shopping more frequently for digital releases because it's convenient and eventually, spending close to what you would in vinyl. The selling point for me is being able to buy MORE with the same amount of money.

Don't kid yourself - you won't hate them. I echo what oeretS said and suggest going middle of the road with an 800.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
If you're dying to just be able to play some stuff off of CD right away, I'd suggest buying a ghetto dual CD player and saving up for something bigger later.

Otherwise buy Pioneer. Avoid other manufacturers if you're concerned about playing out in clubs on CDs players.

I'd suggest either Pioneer 200s if all you want to do is mix. Or Pioneer 1000s if you want to be able to scratch and/or just want want to own the industry standard.

The Pioneer 800s are a waste of money. You're paying a lot of money for a unit that falls way short of being a 1000 and done with cheaper parts and build quality. The 200 is cheaper, offers more features and is built better.

The great thing about Pioneer CD players is that they all work the same way. If you know how to operate a 200, you can operate a 1000 with no problem.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
You might spend more on downloadable tracks than what you spend on vinyl, but you get way more bang for your buck. If you produce tracks you can also make a CD of your new track and test it out.