• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

LF: a preamp

riceraw

TRIBE Member
i'm looking for a preamp to connect between my pcmcia sound card and my mixer to mix my recordings. I bought the sound blaster audigy zs 2 and i still cant get rid of the hissing and the ticking noise so i'm thinking a preamp would be the final solution.

beaker

TRIBE Member
you posted about this before, right?

if you're plugging your mixer's master output into the *line input* on the soundblaster card, everything should be cool. hissing and ticking sounds make me think it's digital or software related. if you were hearing hum, you might have a ground loop problem somewhere. a preamp shouldn't be necessary.

riceraw

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beaker
you posted about this before, right?

if you're plugging your mixer's master output into the *line input* on the soundblaster card, everything should be cool. hissing and ticking sounds make me think it's digital or software related. if you were hearing hum, you might have a ground loop problem somewhere. a preamp shouldn't be necessary.
you're right about the software-related noise.. I mix between my finalscratch and regular records and and i record and use the finalscratch on the same laptop. When this is the case is it necessary for me to use a preamp or am i not suppose to record and use finalscratch in the same laptop altogether?

halo five

TRIBE Member
What audio interface are you using to record your mixes back into the laptop? I'm not familiar with FS but I'm assuming you're recording into some other interface than FS.

It sounds like a preamp has nothing to do with your problem.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by riceraw
you're right about the software-related noise.. I mix between my finalscratch and regular records and and i record and use the finalscratch on the same laptop. When this is the case is it necessary for me to use a preamp or am i not suppose to record and use finalscratch in the same laptop altogether?
i've done this succesfully on my powerbook. playing out of traktor using my laptop's line-out into my mixer, then from the mixer back into my mbox and into pro tools. it might not work on all laptops though, since you are asking the computer to process audio going out and record it coming back in. i was very surprised that i could pull it off.

a preamp doesn't do anything except boost the signal so i don't see how it would help you in either case. it sounds like this noise shouldn't be there in the first place. if you just record into your laptop from your mixer *without* final scratch, does the noise go away? if it does go away, then i don't think you can do it.

riceraw

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beaker
i've done this succesfully on my powerbook. playing out of traktor using my laptop's line-out into my mixer, then from the mixer back into my mbox and into pro tools. it might not work on all laptops though, since you are asking the computer to process audio going out and record it coming back in. i was very surprised that i could pull it off.

a preamp doesn't do anything except boost the signal so i don't see how it would help you in either case. it sounds like this noise shouldn't be there in the first place. if you just record into your laptop from your mixer *without* final scratch, does the noise go away? if it does go away, then i don't think you can do it.
yeah the noise goes away if i take off the usb from the final scratch and just record off regular vinyls. I was hoping its just the fact that the signal just loops back to the laptop that causes it and that if i add a preamp it would somehow cancel the noise. Daamn.

DJ Chris Ryan

TRIBE Member
if you are using FS 1.5, you are hearing the "timecode" noise...i had FS 1.5 and this was a common problem, it was also written about many many times in the NI forums, the offered solution was to ground the scratch amp, which worked in most cases, you may still have a ground loop problem as suggested by one of the previous posters here...do a bit of reading on the NI forums to learn how to solve your problem, a preamp will do nothing for you and is not required. Firewire devices were also known to cause noise in FS 1.5, so if you have those, that could be another problem.

I went to FS 2 and it works FAR better then 1.5...my suggestion is to upgrade if you can afford to:)