• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Letting your records go.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
So I've been speaking with my friend who wants to offload his record collection.

Let's just say he's had great success in his DJ Career, and I said I'd love to take your collection off you.

But I remind him that you really need to go through your entire collection first, and keep what's near and dear to you before you send off your life.

I'll give your collection a good home.

But for real, it reminds me of 5 years ago when I sold my DJM 500, and I literally gave away my entire collection at the same time.

I kept everything that I couldn't live without, but some fell threw the cracks, like this one. Thankfully I found it on the internets. The conform record.

I've since purchased the DJM 500 again, with some mint 1200's

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Records, or any collection, you can let go.

We all enjoy collecting things that express our personality, history.

But in the course of helping people I've been robbed so many times that I've come to realize those individual, or collective, items don't really matter.

It's all in the cloud now, sir, it's all in the cloud.

-jM
A&D

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I've been collecting comic books for almost 35 years. When we bought a house, I had 9 ft shelves built to hold my comic boxes that take up a big chunk of a room. I still buy new books each month to read. I suppose at some point I'll have to unload them or else leave them for my kids to deal with.

I had big collections of CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs and Blurays that I have given away. I now collect digital movies and have about 8 gb worth, which luckily don't take up too much physical space. I suppose I am a collector by nature. Luckily, I only currently have one collection that eats up space.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
btw, what is that picture supposed to be? is that guy pleasuring himself by fingering his asshole until it bleeds and then spreading it on his toilet seat cover for some reason? or is he taking periodic breaks from the fingering and then sitting down on the toilet seat cover, thus leaving a blood stain on it that has a dark ring imprint in the middle? who comes up with this?

diablo

TRIBE Member
I've owned and sold four sets of decks over the years (Gemini belt drives, used silver 1200s, new black 1200s, Stanton T80s, in that order), as well as a few mixers. I currently have just one ION USB turntable for listening.

Likewise, now that I'm only DJing random parties for friends a couple of times per year (and using MP3s when I do), my vinyl collection has been pared down to two crates. I've probably sold off around ten crates over the years.

There have only been a few records (probably less than ten) that I've really regretted selling (this one among them). I've always been of the opinion that a collection should be treated like a tree - you have to prune regularly. It keeps the selection tight, and keeps you from ending up with a sprawling mess that's more of a burden than a joy. I've never understood the guys that have an entire room of records that they never play; moving days must really suck for them.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I cant sell any of my 4 thousand records.

I've thought about it - but this goes against my OCD collecting psychology, will feel "less complete" if I sell any part of it.

I built about 40% of it from aging dj's who sold me lots - so peeps sell your collections! Helps people like me find lots to keep safe for future generations..;)

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
same here, bought most of my 1500 from Robb G, Red Turtle, Farbsie in lots.
everything's already documented on Discog. ( that took 2 solid weeks ). I'll probably see about selling nearly half of them, essentially the ones i'll never spin again, and use that $ to grab a few select rarities.

Last edited:

diablo

TRIBE Member
I cant sell any of my 4 thousand records.

I've thought about it - but this goes against my OCD collecting psychology, will feel "less complete" if I sell any part of it.

I built about 40% of it from aging dj's who sold me lots - so peeps sell your collections! Helps people like me find lots to keep safe for future generations..;)
That's crazy. How many do you play on anything resembling a regular basis?

As far as archiving etc, the vast majority of the tunes will be available on Youtube, Beatport, iTunes, etc. The artists and labels have a financial and artistic interest in making the tunes available to people, so typically the only tunes that would be "lost" are super rare bootlegs and white labels etc, which were likely not earth-shaking classics to begin with.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I've thought a couple times about selling my collection, but spent so much time building the collection over the years to give up on even the oldy moldy tunes that I know I'll never play again (read: Florida breaks).

I love my collection but will admit that it doesn't get touched as often as it should. I've played 1 vinyl gig in the last year or so. For electronic music, Serato has won me over since dance music doesn't have the replay value that it used to, and the sheer mass of tunes available for download make even the best track forgettable after 3-4 months.
I still like digging in stores though, although I pretty much exclusively buy golden era hip hop, classic funk and soul, and other assorted rare groove type sounds instead of breaks or other electronic music like I used to. But I'll admit that I've bought records this year that I haven't even actually put on a turntable since getting home.

praktik

TRIBE Member
That's crazy. How many do you play on anything resembling a regular basis?
A small % clearly, but I have a selection of great "themes", and taking apart these themes for sale would mean my potential symphony is missing some notes!

So I have barely ever touched my hard techno from the late 90s/early 00s

BUT

Maybe one day when I'm 55 I'll want to do a retro Adam Beyer type set from 1999 right? Its a capturing of a moment in time of the evolution of techno - if I dropped that I wouldn't have the whole story anymore, I'd be missing some early chapters!

I have a big collection of "chill" oddities - I play these less than my 4/4 records, but sometimes I need that eclectic, more subdued part of my collection if I'm playing a house party gig that may go late into the morning - sometimes a nice chill set in the morning when you've been up all night is quite nice...

I've got most of the best german minimal you could get from 2003-2009 - this is also a great "capturing of a moment" - some of these I could probably sell. But if I ever did? I'd leave a substantial portion behind to keep this "capturing of a moment" and I'd be selling the shittier/more inaccessible records anyway that people are less likely to buy..

I look at some of these sections and think about the $$ I could gain and space I could make - and that still feels less valuable to me than the sense of comfort and completion I get from having them in the collection still.

What I do try to do is keep a "go to" crate reasonably refreshed. A few faves will stay in or near the crate. But often I will just go through sections of my collection, pulling out ones I should listen to - then I go through a few hours of listening and select from these which selections should be in my "go to" crate. In this way most sections of my collection get little visits every few months. And I typically find a few amazing examples of tracks I ignored and then LOVED (cause my tastes evolved from where I was at when I bought them) and b-sides that I sometimes end up liking more than the track I originally got the record for!

When you sell your collection you lose out on these little rediscoveries...

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
same here, bought most of my 1500 from Robb G, Red Turtle, Farbsie in lots.
everything's already documented on Discog. ( that took 2 solid weeks ). I'll probably see about selling nearly half of them, essentially the ones i'll never spin again, and use that $ to grab a few select rarities.
do you happen to have the sol brothers - that elvis track and central fire_ this is a dub going out>???

diablo

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4700134 said:
I still like digging in stores though, although I pretty much exclusively buy golden era hip hop, classic funk and soul, and other assorted rare groove type sounds instead of breaks or other electronic music like I used to.
I'm kind of in the same boat...vinyl buys are all 80s-and-earlier rock, downtempo bits, etc. Although, moving into a smaller place recently has put all vinyl-buying on hold, as my turntable and records are still at my old house. I'll likely start up again when I move into a bigger place next year.

derek

TRIBE Member
i'm in a similar predicament. Moving from a bungalow to a loft that won't house my full collection.

i've culled it a bit over the years and have digitized a decent portion of it.

i'll be letting some go. stay tuned

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories