• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

letter to newly elected premier dalton mcguinty

dj_jake_the_snake

TRIBE Member
feel free to let me know if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes. or if the content needs revising. cheers.

Hi newly elected Premier Dalton McGuinty. Congratulations on your success I wish you the best of luck. I wanted to write to you today for two reasons: First is regarding the drinking age law in Ontario. I am a university student and have seen many changes in the social organization that have not been good for business or for the students during this academic year. The double cohort has ushered in a younger group of students who have not been able to take advantage of the many social opportunities inside and outside the university faculties all across Ontario because they are not 19 years of age. I ask you please in the best interests of business and students to reduce the age to 18 years of age. The second matter concerns the hours of operation that businesses are allowed to sell alcohol. We live in a truly globalised society that is no longer 9am to 5pm. People no longer work the standard 40 hours per week. As a result constituents all across Ontario are not given the same opportunity to relax in social situations in bars and restaurants throughout the province because of outdated liquor laws. I ask you to please extend the drinking hours until 4am. I understand that there will be groups that oppose this extension citing that it will lead to more drunk driving fatalities. I ask you to please review the evidence first before believing these groups. I also ask you to remember that drunk driving will go on regardless of what time bars and restaurants are open until and that the actions of a few careless citizens are not cause for restrictions on the rest of us. I have already e-mailed my M.P. in my riding who unfortunately has not responded. I am also starting an online petition. I hope we can work together in promoting freedom, business opportunities and a better environment for all students. Sincerely; Brian Dickson.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Maybe he will make it an election promise?

:p

Im all for the later bar hours, dropping the legal drinking age I don't think is a very good idea though.

dj_jake_the_snake

TRIBE Member
alright 2nd draft

Hi newly elected Premier Dalton McGuinty. Congratulations on your success I wish you the best of luck. I wanted to write to you today for two reasons: First is regarding the drinking age law in Ontario. The current law that states you must be 19 years of age is outdated. The double cohort has ushered in a younger group of students who have not been able to take advantage of the many social opportunities inside and outside the university faculties all across Ontario because they are not of age. I ask you please in the best interests of business and students to reduce the age to 18 years of age. The second matter concerns the hours of operation that businesses are allowed to sell alcohol. I ask you to please extend the drinking hours until 4am. We live in a truly globalised society that is no longer founded on a 9am to 5pm workday. As a result constituents all across Ontario are not given the same opportunity to relax in social situations in bars and restaurants throughout the province because of outdated liquor laws. This law will also promote tourism and help local business. I understand that there will be groups that oppose this extension citing that it will lead to more drunk driving fatalities. I ask you to please review the evidence first before believing these groups. I also ask you to remember that drunk driving will go on regardless of what time bars and restaurants are open until and that the actions of a few careless citizens are not cause for restrictions on the rest of us. I have already e-mailed my M.P. who unfortunately has not responded. I am also starting an online petition. I hope we can work together in promoting freedom, business opportunities and a better environment for all students. Sincerely; Brian Dickson.

dj_jake_the_snake

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
Maybe he will make it an election promise?

Im all for the later bar hours, dropping the legal drinking age I don't think is a very good idea though.
why not? if students are in university at 18 they should be extended all priviledges that other adults deserve. I understand it being 19 if we have OAC but since that has been disbanded it is time to go with quebec, europe, and other countries and reduce the age. This comes down to a matter of freedom and opinion though. Obviously drinking isn't the best for your health if consumed in excess but if an 18 year old has inklings to become an alcoholic no law will stop him\her.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Obviously drinking isn't the best for your health if consumed in excess but if an 18 year old has inklings to become an alcoholic no law will stop him\her. [/B]

18 year old's are going to get booze wether it is legal or not.

I was drunk every weekend from age 15 up.

I just think that for governing bodies to approve of it??? We have enough time to be hammered in our twenties.

Its no big deal in one sense, but in another it is.

Maybe I just don't want to be around 18 year old kids at the clubs....

dj_jake_the_snake

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
[
Maybe I just don't want to be around 18 year old kids at the clubs....
:p [/B]
yeah i understand that gripe. just remember that there are certain bars that will cater to the 18-20 croud and others that try and attract the 21 up croud and so on. so you won't want to go to milwaukee's but hey their already are 16 year olds that go there with fake i.d. so what can you do?

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dj_jake_the_snake
yeah i understand that gripe. just remember that there are certain bars that will cater to the 18-20 croud and others that try and attract the 21 up croud and so on. so you won't want to go to milwaukee's but hey their already are 16 year olds that go there with fake i.d. so what can you do?

good points

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dj_jake_the_snake

TRIBE Member
okay here's the letter i sent. i'm sure it needs more work but i know some co-op student will read it and send a letter back on templates. oh democracy...

Hi newly elected Premier Dalton McGuinty. Congratulations on your success I wish you the best of luck. I wanted to write to you today for two reasons: First is regarding the drinking age law in Ontario. The current law states you must be 19 years of age is outdated. The double cohort has ushered in a younger group of students who have not been able to take advantage of the many social opportunities inside and outside the university faculties all across Ontario because they are not of age. I ask you please in the best interests of business and students to reduce the age to 18. The second matter concerns the hours of operation that businesses are allowed to sell alcohol. I ask you to please extend the drinking hours until 4am. We live in a truly globalised society that is no longer founded on a 9am to 5pm workday. As a result constituents all across Ontario are not given the same opportunity to relax in social situations in bars and restaurants throughout the province because of outdated liquor laws. This law will also promote tourism and help local business. I understand that there will be groups that oppose this extension citing that it will lead to more drunk driving fatalities. I ask you to please review the evidence first before believing these groups. I also ask you to remember that drinking and driving will go on regardless of what time bars and restaurants are open until and that the actions of a few careless citizens are not cause for restrictions on the rest of us. I have already e-mailed my M.P. who unfortunately has not responded. I am also starting an online petition. I hope we can work together in promoting freedom, business opportunities and a better environment for all students. Sincerely; Brian Dickson.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
this will never happen btw.

but i am all behind it. 18 in quebec and most european nations.. but hey.. it is not as bad as 21 in the states.. that sucks.

dj_jake_the_snake

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Access
Is ontario the only province where you gotta be 19 to drink?
Drinking age by province:

Ontario 19
Winnipeg 18
Quebec 18
b.c. 19
Alberta 18
Manitoba 18
New Brunswick 19
Yukon 19
Saskatchewan 19
Nunavut 19
n.w.t. 19
p.e.i. 19
Newfoundland 19
Nova scotia 19

Total 18 = 4
Total 19 = 10

Drinking hours by province:

Ontario 2am (before may 1996 was 1am)
Quebec 3am
b.c. 4am
Alberta 2am
p.e.i. 2am
Newfoundland 3am
Winnipeg 2am
Manitoba 2am
New Brunswick 2am
Yukon 2am
Saskatchewan 2am
Nunavut 2am
n.w.t. 2am
nova scotia 2am

total 4am closing time = 1
total 3am closing time = 2
total 2am closing time = 11

drinking hours plus drinking ages in other countries

Britain 24 hours a day 7 days a week!!!!!!! Leg. Passed 2002 (before was 11pm for bars)
u.s. age 21

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Some random points to add:

-In Europe there is less alchohol abuse because parents teach their children at a young age about reposible drinking and it is less of a mystery and therefore less of a temptation to drink.

-Extended drinking hours would also require extended hours for the police force who would have to patrol the streets looking for drunks into the wee hours of the morning.

-Extended drinking hours may crimp drug use in clubs (and I believe that was one of the factors behind expanding drinking hours in England, though I might be wrong)

-At 18 you can vote, be tried as an adult for crime, fuck, and inherit fortunes but can't drink?

-I could finally start dating 18 year olds again!

-Would be a boost to Ontario's tourism industry that is currently in shambles. ei American teenagers coming across the boarder to get drunk .

kodos

TRIBE Member
In Belgium I was always buying cold beer from the vending machines cuz hey - beer from a vending machine? That you can drink anywhere??? The novelty didn't wear off the entire time I was over there. I returned to Canada realizing we live in a repressive regime that strips away personal freedoms such as buying beer from a vending machine at any hour of the day and drinking it wherever the fuck you want. We must topple this tyranny! *passes out on the couch*

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
Ontario's bar and pub owners are asking for $500 million in compensation from the provincial government if a province wide smoking ban is put in place.

I think extending the serving of alcohol until 3am or 4am, to compensate for the smoking ban at bars is worthy of consideration.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I think sending 17/18 year olds to University is also dumb. I don't think most kids that age can handle higher education on top of having to learn independence. Complicating it with alcohol only makes it worse.

*c*

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
-In Europe there is less alchohol abuse because parents teach their children at a young age about reposible drinking and it is less of a mystery and therefore less of a temptation to drink.
in Scotland and Ireland, both part of Europe, binge drinking and alcoholism are rampant.