• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

lets get philosohpical

casual

TRIBE Promoter
I am actually asking you this question...

if a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it. Does it make a sound?

ez

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
you can twist it any way you wish philosophically, but scientifically speaking, it would most definitely create sound, and isn't that the only true answer¿

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
what if there's no air?

EDIT: who cares... unless it's recorded should we care?

this IS the producers room.

casual

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by docta seuss
obviously.
why obviously??

this is a serious question, what is the deffinition of a sound??

and yes there is air, I would hope.

and this does have credit to be in the "producers" forum, considering a producer should be able to give an intellectual, coherent response

Are you suggesting the science of audio has no place in a producers forum...please

:p

lets expand our minds past past the software that makes your chunes

ez

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
lets talk about the different ways for "recording" and "reproducing" the sound of a tree falling in the forest.

Props to anyone who could .mp3 their interpretation of said sound. since this is the producers room.... enough gabbing and lets hear some production. :p

casual

TRIBE Promoter
sure l would honestly love to discuss means of reacording a tree falling in a forest, though unfortuantely this forum seems to be filled with questions and suggestions regarding software....

what mic would you use [honest question, not being sarcastic]

the fact that you said "lets hear some production" is also a very interesting comment, because for some reason in "electronic" music people refer to the "musician" as a producer, why? the person who made the music is a musician, no? not to say they are not a producer as well, but traditionally a producer is nothing but an individual with an educated opinion...are we confused?

Verg, you seem like a smart cat, I would love to talk recording.....but you still haven't answered my question.....think about it....it is a very legitimate point.

and by the way, to be a snob, the act of recording is the engineers job, not the producers, producer works on musical elements, engineers work with the technical aspect

:p

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Main Entry: sound
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English soun, from Old French son, from Latin sonus, from sonare to sound; akin to Old English swinn melody, Sanskrit svanati it sounds

mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of hearing

when a tree falls and nobody's around to hear it, the impact still produces said energy.

..although seeing as how a person's definition of 'sound' may vary, i suppose the question has a bit more depth than i am giving it credit for, but even then it just comes down to an individual's interpretation of an english word.. answering this question in a plethora of different ways can be quite thoroughly accomplished by opening a dictionary.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
by the way, i don't mean to come across as a dick, and i do enjoy philosophy, but this question has never done it for me...:)

oh, and people shouldn't get so up in arms regarding threads which are normally located elsewhere. i don't see why it matters. if you don't want to read it, don't click on it.

variety = good.

casual

TRIBE Promoter
good point and nice job on the dictionary, but I don't think websters is quite cutting the mustard on this one [no diss intended].

Agree with me or not, but according to my text books the concept of a sound has to be received as well as transmitted, compression and rarefraction must take place while vibrating through an elastic medium. therefore, if a tree fell and no one heard it, or recorded it, did it happen??

food for thought, just trying to start reasonably interesting debate.....forgot I was on tribe
:D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

casual

TRIBE Promoter
and docta, I don't think you're a dick at all, this is the point to me putting up this thread, I find most of the comments in this forum [grab a tissue] pretty weak, and was trying communicate on another level.

I suggest less talk about what the newest plug in that will do all your work for you and more discussions regarding recording techniques, synthesis and programming.....

thats just me though...

ez

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by docta seuss
you can twist it any way you wish philosophically, but scientifically speaking, it would most definitely create sound, and isn't that the only true answer¿
You can hypothosize that the tree would make a sound based on other observations, you can even give a percetage of possibility that would end up being close to infinity. But, scientifically, you would have to observe it for it to be true. So your wrong.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I think it depends on how you define sound. For me, sound is air waves entering the ear, vibrating parts of it, and your brain interpreting the vibrations as noise.

Therefore, by this definition, if a tree fell in the forest it would create air waves, which only get converted to sound if an ear and brain are present.

Otherwise, its just vibrations floating through the air.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by EffinHard
You can hypothosize that the tree would make a sound based on other observations, you can even give a percetage of possibility that would end up being close to infinity. But, scientifically, you would have to observe it for it to be true. So your wrong.
ok there dick. bickering is not the goal here, so choose your words more carefully.

as you'll no doubt soon discover, beyond elementary school, much of science is based on theories and assumptions, which are validated as best as they can be through experimentation, but for which often there is no irrefutable evidence.

so are you saying that scientifically speaking the tree wouldn't make a sound? that's just plain silly.

much like being in court, with the sciences often you merely have to be able to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt for it to be accepted as fact. one way this can be done through observation of similar events. nice try though.

i'll use a most simple, i'm sure rather clichéd example to further proove my point..

we know that electrons exist, and believe in their existence to the point that we proclaim it to be fact, but there’s one small problem: science can never prove that electrons exist. hypotheses about the existence of electrons have been supported after countless tests using the scientific method however, and due to overwhelming supporting evidence.. well, i'm sure you get the point.

so, now all that remains for me is to gloat, while telling you that you're very, very WRONG, and then we're even, but i don't think i'll stoop that low. ;)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by codex
good point and nice job on the dictionary, but I don't think websters is quite cutting the mustard on this one [no diss intended].
and just what exactly is wrong with websters¿ ;)

but yeah, it all comes down to defining a word.. ick!

some believe there must be a receiver in addition to the transmitter, while others would argue that..

..which just so happens to bring us to our next question: does a radio transmit a signal if there's nobody to receive it?

gah!

pronobozo

TRIBE Member
It's just to think about and relate to other things, things that usually pertain to life.

For example: If you make music.. Does it need to be made for other people to hear? Do you need your music to effect people for the rest of time? When does the music of our time fade into nothing. 10 years, 20 years, 100 years. When do we start to get bored of life? when do things starting repeating over and over? How much meaning do YOU have as a person? Do you really matter? If a tree falls in the forest does anyone care? DO they hear a sound? If you fall down dead int eh forest.. does anyone hear it or care? in 10 year 20 years? When are you forgotton? When is the information from a whole generation lost?

Who are we making music for? is it for people? ourselves? Is it to last through all of time or just for your own life? Is anything real if it's forgotton.

err buhbye

-p@

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by pronobozo

Who are we making music for? is it for people? ourselves? Is it to last through all of time or just for your own life? Is anything real if it's forgotton.

err buhbye

-p@
i write music for Zanthor, the super intelligent robot penguin from the andromeda galaxy. Zanthor is eternal. Zanthor is pleased with what i write for Him, the opinions of mortals matter not in the(all seeing) eyes of Zanthor!

ALL HAIL ZANTHOR!!

physix

TRIBE Member
hmmm...

isn't sound defined not only as the "soundwaves" that the crashing causes, but also our aural receptors taking in the soundwaves and interpreting them?

so...

making sound?

no

making soundwaves?

yes.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories