• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Let me here you experience with over the air TV

fred

TRIBE Member
It’s been years since I have payed for cable. I have been using rabbit ears and pulling TV over the air with some satisfying results. This has been even better since we got a HD LCD with an atsc tuner as over the air HD is beautiful.

I have been able to pull in most local channels in SD such as cbc, ctv, omni, global, city, sun… as well as a few American channels, 23, pbs, sometimes fox. And between 3 and 5 HD channels, depending on the weather. But no big American networks.

I just bought a channel master 4 bay antenna and plan on hooking that puppy up to the top of my chimney as soon as I have the time to borrow my neighbour’s ladder and get up on the roof. Hoping to pull in a wack more channels.

Anyone else surfin the old school air waves?
What kind of antennas do you use and with what kind of result?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
I made the antenna that someone linked with Youtube in the other thread out of a 2x4 and a bunch of coathangers. It is proudly displayed in my room and runs our upstairs tv.

Im pulling in about three channels (Im north of Peterborough) It all depends on where you are from what Ive read.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
i live downtown, and the local channels i get come in just perfect.....watching nhl playoffs on cbc or nfl on 9.1 are incredible to watch.....

if only fta would come back, maybe i could watch a jays game.....

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
I made the antenna that someone linked with Youtube in the other thread out of a 2x4 and a bunch of coathangers. It is proudly displayed in my room and runs our upstairs tv.

Im pulling in about three channels (Im north of Peterborough) It all depends on where you are from what Ive read.
oh nice you ended up building it? document it on tribe bra, I want to see!

Stan

TRIBE Member
I bought the Digiwave HD antenna from Canada Computers a couple months ago for $35. It's the same design as the one that was linked on youtube. If you want to build your own, the parts'll probably come out to under $5, but for $35 I'll just go with the store-bought.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=016930&cid=ET.679.502

It's hooked up to my HTPC with an Hauppauge WinTV card and I'm using my computer as a PVR with GBPVR.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019081&cid=CC.344
http://www.gbpvr.com/

I get a bunch of HD channels - FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, CTV, CBC, SUN, CHCH. The reception is crystal clear. I live by the lake with an unobstructed south facing view - I can see all the way to Buffalo, Niagara and Hamilton on clear nights, so your mileage may vary. The only channel I don't get is CITY, because the CN Tower is behind my building. Any shows I don't get, I'll just download.

Anyway I just canceled my Rogers cable and am now using my antenna for all my TV viewing. That's $50 a month I'm saving. So yeah, that's my experience. Give it a shot. There really isn't that much investment of time or money and if it works for you, it'll pay itself off quick.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

videotronic

TRIBE Member
greginhali: do you have line of sight to the cn tower? i am at church and dundas and cant see the tower at all

i have tried two different antennas and i dont get shit here...1 channel with one antenna, cbc or ctv depending on where i position the antenna

i am getting tired of trying antennas but i am also tired of paying rogers the ransom they demand of me each month

T

TRIBE Member
I can see the CN Tower from my window in the Fairbank Area. I have a coat hanger connected to my HD receiver, and get all the major american networks in HD . FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS.. and all local channels, City HD, Global, CTV etc. I get about 30 channels in total.

I tried legit antennas, the coathanger worked the best, I shit you not.

Fuck Rogers.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
im in an apartment. i might go grab one of those antennas from canada computers and see if i can squeeze it between my juliette balcony and the wall of the condo..

what are the approximate dimensions if you dont mind

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

videotronic

TRIBE Member
ah well..whats $35 more dollars. i bet i can bolt it right onto the back of my railing and no one from the condo corp will see it...hehehehe

fred

TRIBE Member
Got to say that digiwave site is a great knowledge base.
I installed a Channel master 4221HD on Saturday. $50 from a shop on Gerrard.
I attached it to the top of my chimney on a satellite dish mount, ran some cable and now have over 25 digital channels. It’s pretty sweet.
I feel like such a pirate even though this is all above board.

Anyone know what channels 53-1 and 53-2 are? I pull them in at full strength but there does not seem to be any broadcast... weird

fred

TRIBE Member
I though I was doing well with my rabbit ears inside, but once I got that antenna outside all of a sudden I now get all the major us networks in beautiful HD and a bunch of US channels I've never heard off. I must also mention probably about 5 or 6 Jebus channels as well. Very im-portant for us living the old school Tribe lifestyle...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
god can we get alexd to change this thread title. I cringe every time I open the geek stuff forum now.