• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

lens cleaning tip

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
I've been to a few pages on the net discussing lens cleaning and products but figured tribe would be able to help.

For all the photographers out there, how do you go about cleaning lenses (finger print smudges, dust, whatever) and what products do you use?

Can you use the "lens wipes" that you get at the camera store or eyeglass place?

Would you use something like this http://www.schneideroptics.com/photo-clear/ ??

acheron

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scruffy1
I've been to a few pages on the net discussing lens cleaning and products but figured tribe would be able to help.

For all the photographers out there, how do you go about cleaning lenses (finger print smudges, dust, whatever) and what products do you use?

Can you use the "lens wipes" that you get at the camera store or eyeglass place?

Would you use something like this http://www.schneideroptics.com/photo-clear/ ??
Those cloths with really tight weaves are good for a while but you have to make sure to keep the cloths themselves clean as well - over time they buildup dirt and become unusable.

There are lots of products for cleaning camera lenses - there are disposable wipes as well (static free, etc...) and they're generally good... but costly.

In this digital age of ours, our cameras have another part that collects dust like no tomorrow, and that's the CCD. If the CCD in your DSLR is exposed to dust particles (changing lenses, etc...) then it will need to be cleaned every now and then. E-WIPES are the best for this and they come with instructions. Your camera will have CCD cleaning instructions in the manual.

As for cleaning lenses, using a tight-weave cloth, start from the center of the glass surface and make little circles out toward the edge of the glass, to accumulate the dust. Repeat as necessary without applying too much force. Do both ends of the lens if that's possible.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Besides grit / dust, are there any special precautions that should be taken to avoid scratching lenses?

Are they fairly resistant to such scratches?

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
I highly recommend SoloCare or Freshlook.
I checked with my good friend Google and it would appear that those are only for contact lenses.... or is he lying to me??

acheron

TRIBE Member
No lens is scratch-resistant - treat them with care. The single most important component of any camera, aside from the photographer holding it, is the lens, and it should always be treated with care. So, using cleaning materials that are suited to the purpose is very important.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Should I use one of those "blowers" (those bulb looking things) to blow dust off before cleaning them?

I mean, ideally they should never get dirty.... UV filter or something on the front and dust caps on the back, etc. so I hear what you're saying.

It's just that I have this one smudge print on the lense and in the past I've used those packaged lense wipes on my kit lense and the alcohol leaves streaks, so I was looking for something more "professional" for my new 24-70mm lense.

Are there any good camera stores around yonge & eg ?? I wouldn't mind heading out to pick up something to clean off this smudge tonight.

And on a totally unrelated note, those wimberley tripod heads are fawking awesome!

acheron

TRIBE Member
Ok... for smudges and stuff just use warm breath from your mouth - the moisture will condensate on the lens and that should be enough to remove most fingerprints and such. Use the circling method I mentioned to remove the smudge from that point. As to a little squeeze blower, yes, they're pretty handy at times for getting rid of dust motes - and as long as the brush itself is clean it should be ok too.

labRat

TRIBE Member
i was told to always use a clear/uv filter on the lens to protect against scratching the lens. the cost of replacing a filter is quite a bit less than the lens itself.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
I do use a uv filter on my lenses most of the time and find that it too gets fingerprints / smudges on it and still find that the pre-packaged ones leave streaks.

Is there a good camera store around Yonge & Eglinton??