• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Lemon-aid used cars and trucks or Consumers Report?

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
Which one to go by?

I'm shopping for a midsize pickup. the lemon book says the Toyota tundras and tacos are garbage 1 star rating, now today I stop by a book store and I pick up the latest Consumers auto report and they say the trucks are great ? lol

wtf?

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
I would also be interested to know this. Was in the market for something like a tacoma next year.

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
I go to the Toyota tundra and taco forums and read what those owners have to say about their trucks..just afraid of the homer factor as in not admitting to some of the problems.

msnauto.com says they're good and edmunds.com wonder why the lemon book rips them apart.. maybe Toyota tried to sue him or something,, or trying to keep the $$$ in the states instead of going back to Japan?

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
Are you thinking new or used Tacoma?

I think my only real two options are the Tacoma and the Nissan Frontier.

The tundra and the titan are a bit too much for what I am looking for.

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
I'm thinking 2005's Tundra or taco, (if I can find a half descent deal,), I'd rather have the first owner deal with the wrinkles. When vehicles hit around the 7 year mark then you'll know if they're a reliable truck. I'll never buy new, I don't want to be the first person to find out if a truck is junk, I'll let the other sucker pay the full price, + all the BS taxes.

with the frontiers I've read you have to keep changing the timing belts in them every 100,000 miles or in Canadian 168,000 km.. those are the 2005's and older I think the 2006's and up have timing chains.

I've read Nissan titans are complete garbage, stay away from those.

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
Oh I didnt know they went to a belt from a chain. That's lame.

I saw a Tacoma '12 with the Trail Teams package and the new TRD off road rims.. made my heart skip a beat.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Tacoma's are great trucks, the older ones run forever if you take care of them. But lifting them ruins a lot of the components, so make sure you don't buy a lifted one.

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
I have never lifted a truck, is it just known that the process is detrimental?

similar to lowering a car?