• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Legalize Methamphetamine!

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
saw this essay, thought I'd share

http://www.strike-the-root.com/61/victor/victor1.html

"Many drug dealers understand that each large drug bust brings increased profits for them. Although a drug seizure is bad news for the particular drug dealer involved, it is wonderful news for all the other drug dealers in the market. When you see government agents celebrating a large drug seizure, imagine all the other drug dealers celebrating along with them.

The economics of drug sales are no different than any other product sold in the market. Every big drug seizure causes a temporary decrease in the supply of that drug in the relevant market. However, the drug seizure doesn’t affect the demand for the drugs. Drug users still want drugs despite some drug dealer being arrested"

freshest1

TRIBE Member
simular drugs are already legal.. its called ritalin

Methylphenidate is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant. It has a "calming" effect on many children who have ADHD, reducing impulsive behavior and the tendency to "act out", and helps them concentrate on schoolwork and other tasks. Adults who have ADHD often find that MPH increases their ability to focus on tasks and organize their lives.

Methylphenidate has been found to have a lower incidence of side-effects compared to dextroamphetamine, a less commonly perscribed medication. [7] When prescribed at the correct dosage, methylphenidate is usually well-tolerated by patients.[2]

The means by which methylphenidate helps people with ADHD are not well understood. Some researchers have theorized that ADHD is caused by a dopamine imbalance in the brains of those affected. MPH is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, which means that it increases the level of the dopamine neurotransmitter in the brain by partially blocking the transporters that remove it from the synapses. [8] This could explain its clinical efficacy.

In the United States, methylphenidate is classified as a Schedule II controlled substance, the designation used for substances that have a recognized medical value but which have a high potential for abuse. Internationally, methylphenidate is a Schedule II drug under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances. [9] Some people abuse MPH by crushing the tablets and snorting them, the "high" resulting from the increased rate of dopamine transporter blockade due to quicker absorption into the bloodstream. In this manner, the effect of Ritalin is similar to that of cocaine or amphetamine and such abuse can lead to addiction. When taken orally in prescribed doses, MPH has a low addiction liability and rarely produces a "high".

Methylphenidate has been used illegally by students for whom the drug has not be prescribed, to assist with coursework and examinations. [10]

Some may use it recreationally in combination with alcohol to attempt to counter the downing effects of excessive drinking, presumably allowing the user to stay fairly awake and social while heavily intoxicated. However, there is no scientific evidence to substantiate the validity of this claim, and the behavior could have serious negative consequences.

lok

TRIBE Member
Awesome essay. The major weakness I find is that he ignores the many states inbetween "legal" and "illegal" that can both help to discourage drug use but also remove the criminal aspects. "De-criminalizing" meth could have any number of permutations, not the least of which could include extremely prohibative taxation and charge on public use.

I really enjoy how he observes the legal and economic ramifications exclusively. Netherlands, however, is a very poor example to hold up as a pedestal - the Netherlands has one of the worst heroin problems in the world. Coincidence? Maybe, but thats all the straw-manning proponents of a drug war would need to undermine that data.

He's awfully utilitarian in approach, which I suppose is why this essay is equally inspiring and terrifying. Is our society so consumed with the need for psychoactive stimulation that we must legalize and distribute recreational drugs? Though certainly that is a question no one should answer for us, especially not the government.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
meth kills.

the untold thousands of once responsible people in the gay community alone reduced
to HIV and hepatitis infected unsafe sex practicers so far proves that this shit should be off bounds.

while i've heard and understand to certain degree the argument to legalize illegal drugs,
meth in particular far too often leads to snuffed out lives.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
adorablehomeboy said:
When you see government agents celebrating a large drug seizure, imagine all the other drug dealers celebrating along with them.[/I]
This is such an absurd statement.

It's completely wrong for at least two reasons.

1. The price of street drugs remains fairly level despite large seizures. It's not like the price of gas that goes up and down every week, and I've never seen prices increase in correlation with a big bust. If anything, the price of narcotics has remained fairly level if not gone down over the years.

2. If I were a drug dealer and heard about a huge bust going down, my first thought would "I'm next".

ducke

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
meth kills.

the untold thousands of once responsible people in the gay community alone reduced
to HIV and hepatitis infected unsafe sex practicers so far proves that this shit should be off bounds.

while i've heard and understand to certain degree the argument to legalize illegal drugs,

HUH :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

what is it your trying to say here ?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
meth kills.

Meth is such a problem in so many communties, and has ruined so many lives, I really think that it should remain illegal.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I read the article from begining to end. I guess i have a strange prespective on this in that I'm in the US mid west where meth has had a very dramatic effect.

Frontline did a fairly good episode in regards to meth thats availible online. Although they discuss it without debating legalize or not.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/view/

I don't know how I feel on this one. To often you see people who are obviously destroyed and far to often you hear the stories of the mess this drugs causes.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dyad

TRIBE Member
there is a side to the legalization argument though that the more dangerous a substance the more reason to legalize it. You can control the cutting agents, you can control the distribution.

I'm on the fence though about the whole legalization/decriminalization argument. the bias against substances is so strongly entrenched at this point that that would have to change before any sort of decriminalization could take place.

i do wish however that we could study the effects of substances without pressure to come to a certain conclusion. decriminalization would make the substances more available to scientists for objective study and we might know a lot more about addiction than we do.

AEGLE

TRIBE Member
dyad said:
there is a side to the legalization argument though that the more dangerous a substance the more reason to legalize it. You can control the cutting agents, you can control the distribution.

I'm on the fence though about the whole legalization/decriminalization argument. the bias against substances is so strongly entrenched at this point that that would have to change before any sort of decriminalization could take place.

i do wish however that we could study the effects of substances without pressure to come to a certain conclusion. decriminalization would make the substances more available to scientists for objective study and we might know a lot more about addiction than we do.
I gotta say, that's actually a really good point you made there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders