• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Legal Trouble - Ontario Liquor Laws

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Okay, so a "friend" was involved in a police raid at an afterhours on saturday night. He happened to be bartending at said event, and after everything was said and done, he ended up recieving 3 charges contrary to the lqiuor licence act of ontario section 5(1).

1) Unlawfully selling liquor
2) Unlawfully offering liquor for sale
3) Unlawfully keeping liquor for sale

Now I've been trying a little google work to find out what the penalties for these charges might be, but I cant find anything. As I'm sure theres a bunch of tribers who have been stuck in this situation before (or the few legal experts on the board), can anyone give me some info on the seriousness of these charges? Whats the fines? etc, etc.

Now if you'll excuse me, my friend needs a stiff vodka soda to try and clear the memory of having an assault rifle shoved in his face.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Chubbs said:
1) Unlawfully selling liquor
2) Unlawfully offering liquor for sale
3) Unlawfully keeping liquor for sale
Prolly be able to plead it down to unlawfully selling liquor but either way a convicted non-licensed sellor faces a minimum charge of $200 up to a maximum of $100,000 or imprisonment up to a year or both)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Hmm can't seem to edit..

Provincial Offences Act (POA) charges are usually sentenced with a fine. Other POA acts are the cumpulsory insurance act, and the highway traffic act. Your friend will have a certain amount of days to pay the fine, or he/ she can take it to court if want to fight it... (Ontario Court of Justice) if they are not happy with the court decision they may appeal the decision within 30 days to the Superior Court of Justice. This is a summary conviction appeal. As per the seriousness.. they will appear on the crim. record if thats what you mean...

deep

TRIBE Member
My understanding was that provincial offenses do not appear on criminal records and are cleared out after the fine has been paid / set amount of time.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
maybe you are right.. we don't deal with many POA charges at my work.. (i'm a legal assistant not a lawyer so I dont' know everything) I could find out if the charges remain on the record though..

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AshG

get proper legal representation, and the sooner, the better.
with good counsel, its usually possible to get out of these things.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Thanks for everyones input. So hopefully everythings gunna be okay.

Once I talk to the lawyer that is.

Until then, im still fucked.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
hey man,

i've been charged with those exact same three charges. it's more like a traffic ticket. it was a first offence, i pleaded guilty and my fine was around $300. it does not appear on a criminal record. the only downside is that i probably won't ever be eligible to apply for a liquor license if i ever want to open a club or restaurant later in life.

if you wanna talk about it offline, lemme know.

ps: your myspace is BROKEN!

poker face

TRIBE Member
Solma got busted above metropolis when they they brought Inland Knights in town. The cops took over 7 cases of beer and said they would return it. As far as I know they got off but of course the crooked cops of toronto keeped the beer for their buddies.

houseleague

TRIBE Promoter
HaliBubba said:
hey man,

i've been charged with those exact same three charges. it's more like a traffic ticket. it was a first offence, i pleaded guilty and my fine was around $300. it does not appear on a criminal record. the only downside is that i probably won't ever be eligible to apply for a liquor license if i ever want to open a club or restaurant later in life.

if you wanna talk about it offline, lemme know.

ps: your myspace is BROKEN!

I had these exact same charges as well. We got lucky cause the cops didn't show, but it's usually a fine at best. I heard how violent the bust was that night and I am sorry to hear it.